Morex 2799 Sleeper Build log - 5.4L (ADVICE/CRITIQUE NEEDED!)

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
So on an impluse I bought the last Morex 2799 from Ebay. It's not here yet, but when it does I will take photos to document it. And yes, there will be a Blu-Ray burner in it.

In the meantime I need some advice on how to make sense of the case. As you can see there is a distinct lack of vents; now while I could just start drilling holes in the case, I'm not sure the laws of thermodynamics would agree with me. Plus considering this might be a rare computer case I don't want to do any changes that might mean the case becomes unusable.

The next problem is the riser card. As you can see in this review by Gecid back in 2013, it's very outdated. It comes with a PCI riser (part code: Morex CLKF122). You can still buy them. Is there a PCIE 3 or 4 x16 Riser card that I could use to replace this? Or would I need a flexible cable instead like the HDPLEX riser cable?

Following that we have the GPU. As you can see this case has less clearance on card height then the S4 Mini. After looking around my options last night, it seems to be the Zotac Twin Fans are my only choice here. Stuck between what model to go with however. Plus I guess I'm making some new vents in the case to help cool these down. Any suggestions?

And finally the PSU supply. That jalopy PSU is getting torn out the second it arrives here. As you can see in this video the optical drive overhangs over the 24 pin so I'm doubtful a plug-in pico styled unit will work here. As mentioned before, I have need for an optical drive, so I think the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX unit might be what I am looking for. Plus I'm kind of hoping we might see a proper external HDPLEX 400W AC-DC one day. I'm open to other options.

Here's what I'm planing on using for now:

(Parts have been carried over from my previous build)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Owned)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler (Owned)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£172.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory (Owned)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Owned)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Owned)
Optical Drive: LG BU40N.ARAA10B (£71.71 @ Reichelt)
PSU (DC-ATX): HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX (£76.00 @ HDPLEX)
PSU (AC-DC): DELL 330W R5MR2 (Owned)
Riser card: HDPLEX PCIEx16 3.0 Silicon Dual Layer Riser (£36.00 @ HDPLEX)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Twin Fan Video Card (£199.98 @ Amazon UK)
+
Adapter: Moddiy CO000 Cable 8 Pin to 8 Pin (£12.59 @ Moddiy)
OR
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Twin Fan Video Card (£154.97 @ Amazon UK)

Totals as of 03/10/20: £569.26 (with 1660 Super) or £511.66 (with 1650 Super)

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Critique while I wait for the case please.

Last edited:

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
About vents (for GPU cooling), i have solved my case using perforated sheet (5mm Hole, 7mm Pitch, 1mm Thickness Galvanised Steel) and hand tools (nibbler and rivet gun) Also used some washers for 3.2x5mm rivets
Not pretty but it`s ok for me:

Looks like this Morex 2799 case is with same width like my case (295mm) and mounting GPU is very difficult with riser card

Last edited:
Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Just had a look at your build thread. I'm imagining putting extra vents on the side where the gpu is facing. Unlike your build my GPU is facing the other side a bit like the S4 Mini so that's something I will need to consider. The riser I reckon will be a struggle because it is slightly offset. I would like one that is PCIE-4 for futureproofing so I'm looking at this one from LINKUP. Looks flexible enough to take the slight bend.

The other thing I'm looking to is that external HDPLEX 400W AC-DC kit I found on thingiverse. Only problem is the online quotes I keep finding for PETG are over £100 ($129.50 as of 05/10/20).

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
This GH-07X16 is shifted 27.3mm and probably is like 25.3mm for PCI riser (CLKF118 and CLKF122) but it is straight

Travla T9120 1.5U (65mm height)

T9120 riser card LKF327 (found one on Ebay)

Also G-Alantic GA6701 riser GA6701RSE looks the same, but MOQ is 50 pcs from manufacturer

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I'm currently trying to gauge the heatsink clearance for the board. In the Gecid review they are using a Zotac IONITX-F-E board which comes with an intergrated heatsink. Does anyone know the height of the heatsink, there seems to be no info online.

The video is using an Asrock N3150-ITX and also shows how the heatsink and ODD will work with eachother.

In short I'm trying to figure out if I have access to the Blackridge and C7.

Edit - Found a post somewhere that mentioned the ION's heatsink was about 2.25 inches which is about 57.15mm. They might be doable here.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
@Vlad502 - Thanks I just noticed the GPU riser you listed. I've just bought one of them seeing as it's going very cheaply. Any idea if it would work on PCIE 3 or 4?

---

Also anyone in central-belt Scotland know any good case modders/machinists? I know I'm looking at drilling holes in the case, but I want it to look good.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Spent some time trying to work out where everything would fit on a sheet of A3 paper with some spare parts. The case is due to arrive either tomorrow or the day after. I reckon my only cooler choice will be the L9A. I think any bigger and I will have clearance issues with the optical drive cables. Might be able to fit a fan duct in there however.

As for GPU height clearance on the side I am currently guesstimating 6mm and 8mm. The card I am currently targeting right now is the EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SC ULTRA GAMING.

If anyone owns this card, could you do me a massive favour please? I need a measurement from the top of the PCIE bracket to the top of the GPU shroud. I want to know if the card will fit within the 6mm to 8mm clearance.

Also I've noticed the case has a seldom used slim 3.5 bay next to the slim 5.25. Any suggestions for what can go in there? I did look into slim floppy drives for that sleeper effect but doubt it will fit with the GPU.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
It's arrived!

The case is a good size and feels very strudy. The finish isn't the greatest, but I wasn't expecting an S4 Mini here. Great sleeper case base here!

Anyway some important takeaways:

You need to remove one of the tabs on the expansion slots to make a dual height pcie card fit.
The DC-ATX PSU looks questionable, I ripped it out of the case instantly.
The HDPLEX 400W is not going to be as easy to fit as I thought. Three mounting points need to be dremeled out including the ones for the 60mm fan.
The drive cage bracket will come off, but you will end up destroying it.
The gap between the GPU bracket and the case side is around 8mm to 9mm.
If you want an optical drive you need to run an L9i or L9a.
I've removed the front IO. Not sure if will play well with a modern motherboard with that firewire connection. Although I wonder if this front IO from Sliger might fit.
You can stick 2 Noctua NF-A9x14's under the GPU if you want to drill some holes*.

Some more images with:

*Edit - Found someone.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
So I've managed to get my Dad to do the case mods for me, he used to work on planes. Ordered a 90mm hole saw which should do the job.

Anyway, currently planning where to place the fans. I'm using these two Noctuas as proxies, will be using Chromax NF-A9x14 in the final build. Is there any advantage to putting them side by side? The final pic on this set shows the hole I will be making for the CPU cooler fan. Going with a AXP-90 Copper with a Chromax NF-A9x14 on it.

Also noticed the PCIE bracket overlaps the motherboard which makes things more complicated. I've decided to look into getting an Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX due to the fact it lacks the clearance issues the Gigabyte board would have. I'm using a print out that is the right scale to plan things out.

If there is one thing I'm not sure about is the height of the capacitors near the PCIE slot. As the PCIE bracket mount protrudes over the board a little, I'm worried about this being a clearance issue as well.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Looks like i`m the only one interested in this build, so here some thoughts:
The HDPLEX 400W is not going to be as easy to fit as I thought. Three mounting points need to be dremeled out including the ones for the 60mm fan.
IMO no need to dremel any standoffs. You can try fitting PSU relying on 24pin extension cable
The gap between the GPU bracket and the case side is around 8mm to 9mm.
There are 180 degree GPU power connectors that will fit, but it must be oriented to the side where GPU heatsink is
I've removed the front IO. Not sure if will play well with a modern motherboard with that firewire connection. Although I wonder if this front IO from Sliger might fit.
More easy to use ports with screw mounting and unsolder old ports or complete replace pcb with compatible port pattern (i have to moddify one)
will be using Chromax NF-A9x14 in the final build. Is there any advantage to putting them side by side?
I don`t understand what you mean
Also noticed the PCIE bracket overlaps the motherboard which makes things more complicated. I've decided to look into getting an Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX due to the fact it lacks the clearance issues the Gigabyte board would have. I'm using a print out that is the right scale to plan things out.
Don`t worry about PCI bracket ends that stick out. I guess it will fit without problem (if not - minor filing requered)

there is one thing I'm not sure about is the height of the capacitors near the PCIE slot. As the PCIE bracket mount protrudes over the board a little, I'm worried about this being a clearance issue as well.
Maybe one of capacitors will be a real problem

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
@Vlad502 Thanks for the support.

You've got me thinking about the PSU again. I'm wondering if @REVOCCASES GxR-ONE and BRICKMOD 500 might make sense here with the 24 Pin 90 Degree adapter you mentioned. It would be cheaper...

I get your point about the front panel header, although I can't solder to save my life.

For the fans I've noticed that when people do case fan mods with two or more, the fans are literally next together. I was wondering if there was an advantage for this besides space saving. Here is an example with Metis.

I think the capacitors on the Asrock B550 Phantom ITX board might fit. I found this post on twitter which shows that they are slightly smaller then the PCIE slot.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@Vlad502 Thanks for the support.

You've got me thinking about the PSU again. I'm wondering if @REVOCCASES GxR-ONE and BRICKMOD 500 might make sense here with the 24 Pin 90 Degree adapter you mentioned. It would be cheaper...

I get your point about the front panel header, although I can't solder to save my life.

For the fans I've noticed that when people do case fan mods with two or more, the fans are literally next together. I was wondering if there was an advantage for this besides space saving. Here is an example with Metis.

I think the capacitors on the Asrock B550 Phantom ITX board might fit. I found this post on twitter which shows that they are slightly smaller then the PCIE slot.

Would there be enough space to fit a Meanwell RPS-400-12 somewhere in the case? Or are you planning with a brick anyways?

Dimensions:

Ps: I might have a pcb riser could might fit.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Got a Slim ODD for £5. Installed it in the case.

@REVOCCASES I'm currently seeing if there is any space for it, but I'm not sure it would work. From the base of the case to the ODD tray there is about 41mm of space and from the motherboard standoff it's about 35mm; factor in the motherboard thickness it would be about 33.4mm.

Here's two sets of images. The first is using the old PSU as a proxy to show what a 24 pin would look like the in the space.

And the second is using a box in the space which is 112mm x 40mm x 78mm.

Here are some pics of space under the ODD

Keeping the IO/fan/old PSU standoffs would give you a space of 140mm x 70mm. Removing them would give you 160mm x 70.

There is a lip on the ODD bracket where it slots into the front panel of the case. It reduces the height down to 36mm

The open air RPS-400-12 could fit, but if I was mounting the GxR-ONE with the 90 bracket I think it would interfere with it. I will also mention I have no experience of using open air PSU's so I would not be comfortable. The enclosed version unfortunally is 43mm tall. Brickless would be nice, but I think having one would be much more simple.

Also two other things:
Any idea what is the GxR-ONE's size compared to Corsair's LPX (31-34mm) RAM installed in the motherboard?
I would be interested in seeing what that PCB riser looks like.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Looking measurement that you made and it seems you can also consider Flex ATX PSU (150x82x40) as well, but with custom front panel , slim IEC connector and replace power inlet with smaller plug (i.e. XS8). Biggest problem there will be ODD supporting system, because you need cut part of front panel too (with case standoff supporting it)
I`m considering same mode with wood front panel (PSU will be secured to this panel), but no ODD on my mind

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Got a Slim ODD for £5. Installed it in the case.

@REVOCCASES I'm currently seeing if there is any space for it, but I'm not sure it would work. From the base of the case to the ODD tray there is about 41mm of space and from the motherboard standoff it's about 35mm; factor in the motherboard thickness it would be about 33.4mm.

Here's two sets of images. The first is using the old PSU as a proxy to show what a 24 pin would look like the in the space.

And the second is using a box in the space which is 112mm x 40mm x 78mm.

Here are some pics of space under the ODD

Keeping the IO/fan/old PSU standoffs would give you a space of 140mm x 70mm. Removing them would give you 160mm x 70.

There is a lip on the ODD bracket where it slots into the front panel of the case. It reduces the height down to 36mm

The open air RPS-400-12 could fit, but if I was mounting the GxR-ONE with the 90 bracket I think it would interfere with it. I will also mention I have no experience of using open air PSU's so I would not be comfortable. The enclosed version unfortunally is 43mm tall. Brickless would be nice, but I think having one would be much more simple.

Also two other things:
Any idea what is the GxR-ONE's size compared to Corsair's LPX (31-34mm) RAM installed in the motherboard?
I would be interested in seeing what that PCB riser looks like.

Indeed that would be a tight fit even for the RPS openframe version. And if you have no experience with AC power stuff better leave it and go for a brick.

GxR-ONE overall dimensions: 38H x 55W x 14D

You can use the 24p angle adapter on the motherboard if it should be to high. If you are going for the GxR-ONE I can include one of those.

Maybe could still use the space below the ODD for one additional sata drive.

Thats the riser:

And probably you need a short extension like this:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looking measurement that you made and it seems you can also consider Flex ATX PSU (150x82x40) as well, but with custom front panel , slim IEC connector and replace power inlet with smaller plug (i.e. XS8)
I`m considering same mode with wood front panel (PSU will be secured to this panel)

Interesting idea. Could work but cooling the Flex might be a challenge in that position... and of course finding a good one with 400 to 500w...

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
@Vlad502 @REVOCCASES - I did look into a flex unit, but decided against it due it being a touch too wide. It interferes with the mounting lip on the ODD bracket. Plus I was not sure about it running warm under the ODD.

I don't plan on getting the PSU until the end of the month as I get paid around that time, but yeah that would be cool if you included that angle adapter.

I do have a riser on the way. It's the one Vlad linked back in post 4. It's left France now, so it should hopefully arrive by the end of this week.