GPU Modding an Asus GTX 970 Turbo for silence

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Even if this GPU doesn't live in my personal PC, I'm getting a bit tired of the very annoying, grindy noise profile (even at idle) of this cooler given that it still lives only a couple of meters away from my desk. Originally, I ordered a replacement fan as I thought it had a bad bearing or some such, but it turns out Asus really cheaped out on this and went for an even worse fan than the stock Nvidia Delta fan (which I had assumed), so the replacement doesn't fit - the mounting hole placement works, but I doubt it'd be very effective as it's 10mm smaller (and I'd need to wrangle up some mounting nuts to even try it (fan didn't come with any, stock fan has them molded in), which would also mean replacing a 1.2A fan with a 1.8A fan ... doesn't sound good). The fan seems to be the same as AMD used stock for their 68XX/69XX coolers, which ... well, they weren't exactly famous for being quiet.

Anyhow, I'm looking at options for making this card quieter. As I see it, I have two options: remove the shroud and stock fan and strap a 92-120mm fan to the existing heatsink, or strip everything and try fitting one of my old Accelero S1s with a large (120-140mm) fan on it. While the latter would obviously be far quieter, it's also both more difficult and risky (don't even know if the mounting holes will fit). It lives in a large case (I know, I know, but there aren't any ITX Threadripper boards ...) with good airflow, so access to cool air isn't an issue, nor is clearance.

A plus here is that the GPU actually has a very nice ITX-sized PCB, which will in all likelihood give it a long life in various builds around the house once I deal with the noise issue.

First off: do you think a single fan strapped to this small, cheap heatsink will be sufficient to cool the GPU? It's worth noting that it's rarely pushed hard for extended periods of time, and silence at idle is the priority here.

Yes, that is a slab of copper. No heatpipes or vapor chambers here!

As for the Accelero, given its ~30x30mm cold plate, I don't even know if it'll fit the GPU (it might not reach the ... uhm, metal frame thingy on the edge of the package, which would mean a significant risk of cracking the die). In other words, I'd like to avoid resorting to this if possible.

A third option would be to try fitting the replacement Delta fan in the shroud, as it should be quieter at least at idle (and it doesn't have the buzzy, grindy sound profile of the FirstDO. For that I'd need some low profile (m2? m3?) nuts to mount it. Any tips on where I could find something suitable? I can't seem to find any pictures or videos that show how the fan is mounted on the reference Nvidia cards.

I suppose a fourth option would be to strap a low-profile CPU cooler onto this, although that would likely mean rigging up an entirely custom mounting solution - not to mention the extra cost.

Whatever I do, I'll also need an adapter from a 4-pin GPU mini fan connector (female, board-side is male) to a standard 4-pin PWM fan connector (male), preferably as short as possible. I've looked around my usual sources (well, AliExpress, really) but haven't found anything suitable, nor the right connectors to rig my own solution. Any tips?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
You should try a 92mm or 120mm strapped to it.

Should work just fine if you have the space.
Yeah, that's definitely what I want to try first. Any ideas on where to get a hold of an adapter cable or the connectors I'll need to make my own?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yeah, that's definitely what I want to try first. Any ideas on where to get a hold of an adapter cable or the connectors I'll need to make my own?

I'd just attach it to chassis output.

Gelid makes an adapter called gpu mini 4 pin to 4 pin pwm. You'd have to set the fan curve really low though since it is expecting high rpm from the centrifugal fan.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
I'd just attach it to chassis output.

Gelid makes an adapter called gpu mini 4 pin to 4 pin pwm. You'd have to set the fan curve really low though since it is expecting high rpm from the centrifugal fan.
If it's PWM, doesn't the fan control go by % and not rpm? I.e. if the fan curve asks for 50% fan speed, you'll get the fan's 50%-PWM-signal speed regardless of actual rpm? I guess designs with known fan specifications might use rpm numbers, but that would still require an additional layer of translation between rpm in the software/firmware and pwm signalling to the fan. This sounds unlikely to me, as it would be easier to just program the curve in % and be done with it. Or are GPU manufacturers really this ... inefficient?

Thanks for the tip about the Gelid adapter, though! Exactly what I was looking for :) Decently priced too, even if I couldn't find it here in Norway, €5 with free shipping on Ebay is nothing to scoff at. Even cheap enough that it doesn't matter much if I'll end up connecting it to a chassis fan header for some reason.

Now to wait for it to arrive, and for the RMA on the CPU cooler for that PC to go through (an AIO clogging (or at least not transferring heat, but the pump still seems to run) within a year? Never heard of that before), and I'll see if I can get some before-and-after temps and possibly noise readings :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
I got the replacement CPU cooler for this yesterday, so while mounting it I stripped the shroud off the GPU and zip-tied a Gentle Typhoon 120mm to it. The Gelid adapter worked perfectly, by the way! No fan curve adjustments needed (even if the fan does seem to ramp up to its maximum ~2000rpm rather quickly, it's quiet enough for this not to matter), and the GPU levels out at ~73C running FurMark. Very happy about that. Also turned this card into a rather neat ITX-sized (though 3+-slot - if it weren't for the zip tie nubs I could use the adjacent PCIe slot) GPU. Kind of looking forward to repurposing it whenever this PC needs an upgrade :p

Had to run one zip-tie around the back of the board, as the heatsink was too small to mount it without potentially interfering with fan rotation. This triggers my computer OCD a bit, but I can live with it.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Glad it worked out for you.

Now to convince the rest of the world that "you should buy blower cards for SFF" is a myth.
Thanks!

I suppose given anything near sufficient airflow an open-air cooler will be superior, no? Unless it's just recycling its own hot air. More fin area, heatpipes aplenty, axial fans having far better airflow per dBA, and so on doesn't leave many advantages to radial fans. At least I have the excuse that I didn't buy this (my brother very generously gave it to me when he bought a 1080 :p), and it's not currently in an SFF build (at the time, there were only ATX boards available for Threadripper). But who knows where it'll go in the future? Now that it's no longer driving me nuts idling at the desktop, this card will likely live a long and productive life.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Now to convince the rest of the world that "you should buy blower cards for SFF" is a myth.
It drives me nuts when I see articles or threads on the larger websites talking about how you need blower cards for ITX cases. I think it is unfortunate that a couple ITX cases I used were designed around blower cards, especially the Node 202, and they kind of create a self fulfilling prophecy. That's not the phrase I want to describe this but I can't think of something better.
"ITX cases need blower cards to cool properly, so we will design the case around blower cards."
Because they designed the case around blower cards, they neglected proper ventilation and airflow.
The poor ventilation leads to throttling on open air cards, reinforcing the myth.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
It drives me nuts when I see articles or threads on the larger websites talking about how you need blower cards for ITX cases. I think it is unfortunate that a couple ITX cases I used were designed around blower cards, especially the Node 202, and they kind of create a self fulfilling prophecy. That's not the phrase I want to describe this but I can't think of something better.
"ITX cases need blower cards to cool properly, so we will design the case around blower cards."
Because they designed the case around blower cards, they neglected proper ventilation and airflow.
The poor ventilation leads to throttling on open air cards, reinforcing the myth.
Yep. IMO, anything with room for a 2-slot GPU alongside a panel should have the entire panel adjacent to the GPU perforated, and preferably with a couple of 120mm fan mounts in the perforation. While perforated panels doesn't always fix things (unless the air can escape somewhere, you'll not be pulling much air in to begin with, unless the fans are very, very close to the panel), removing the GPU shroud and stock fans and hooking up a couple of 120mm case fans of semi-decent quality should be able to cool pretty much anything in any conditions.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Yep. IMO, anything with room for a 2-slot GPU alongside a panel should have the entire panel adjacent to the GPU perforated, and preferably with a couple of 120mm fan mounts in the perforation. While perforated panels doesn't always fix things (unless the air can escape somewhere, you'll not be pulling much air in to begin with, unless the fans are very, very close to the panel), removing the GPU shroud and stock fans and hooking up a couple of 120mm case fans of semi-decent quality should be able to cool pretty much anything in any conditions.
I agree :) I love your mod btw, I did something similar with a 92mm fan when I had a blower GTX 660 and it was so much quieter