Modding a VCR? Got any ideas?

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
So nostalgia kicked in today while at a Goodwill and I decided I want to start collecting VHS tapes of the best films from the 90s and such (picked up Snatch, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, and Seven). My thought process is that for me, this is the movie version of collecting old vinyls haha!

So I'd like to get a nice VHS collection going andddd id like a nice VHS/ DVD player to be able to enjoy these films! Here's the thing..

I have a pretty modern/minimalistic tv/home theater area (nothing too amazing but imo it looks nice :) ) anyway I'm not sure I like the idea of some ugly grey VCR chilling in the middle of it all so I'm wondering if it's possible for me to do a little project and paint it? I'm thinking either white or black, haven't decided yet.. But the point of it would be to make it blend in more, look more modern and minimalistic and such..

Question is, what kind of paint would be best for the it? Spray paint? Also does anyone have any ideas about what I could do to paint/sticker on the logo and the signs for play, pause, etc back on? Or should I just leave them blank?

Not really the kind of guy to mod things like this but it sounds fun and who knows maybe it won't turn out too ugly!

Any ideas?

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Cool project !

Considering VHS is an analog format, I would first find the best damn player I'd be willing to buy, which most likely will be a much more premium build by itself than a 5$ VHS player. I'd also want to be able to show off the entire thing to them young'uns who've never seen a "vee age ess", so the obligatory top window (with subtle LED lighting) needs to be installed.

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
You're right.. At first I was just gonna use an old vhs player from the in laws but maybe I should look for something high quality and possibly new? I wonder if any companies still make them?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Yep, I remember 1080i D-VHS rips turning up on Usenet back before BD/HD-DVD or DVB-T2.

If you want a VHS player that fits in with high-end AV gear, you could also look for rackmount 'studio' players. Those are usually pretty minimalist with robust metal fascias, and slightly easier to maintain then consumer players, though depending on how well they were looked after the front panels may need some cleaning or potentially re-anodising.

Last edited:

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Most likely Japanese companies have made high end players.
But you might also like these items:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-VHS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-VHS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-VHS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-S (holy crap 1080p)
Holy crap never knew of all these formats! Thanks for the info!

Yep, I remember 1080i D-VHS rips turning up on USenet back before BD/HD-DVD or DVB-T2.

If you want a VHS player that fits in with high-end AV gear, you could also look for rackmount 'studio' players. Those are usually pretty minimalist with robust metal fascias, and slightly easier to maintain then consumer players, though depending on how well they were looked after the front panels may need some cleaning or potentially re-anodising.

I'm definitely going to look into this! Thanks for the info guys!

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015

Someone beat you to it bro.

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016

Someone beat you to it bro.
lmao bro!

Funny enough just today I told my friend about my idea to start collecting vhs, he told me that he had just read an article about it possibly becoming a thing! Who knows maybe if it picks up enough momentum there will be companies producing new modern vhs players like how vinyl got popular again and created a market for new record players..

Cuzza

Trash Compacter
LOSIAS
Jul 15, 2015
On a more serious note, yes spraypaint would be fine, as long as you sand and primer and so on, you know, do it properly. White would be cool, with black buttons perhaps, and you could replace some of the LEDs with custom colours, add a light inside the slot so it glows when it opens to spit out the tape. You could replace some of the buttons. If it has front connectors that you don't think you will use, blank them off. Find a composite video/audio to HDMI converter box and mount it inside the VCR, then mount HDMI output in back of VCR so it looks stock. /ideas

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
On a more serious note, yes spraypaint would be fine, as long as you sand and primer and so on, you know, do it properly. White would be cool, with black buttons perhaps, and you could replace some of the LEDs with custom colours, add a light inside the slot so it glows when it opens to spit out the tape. You could replace some of the buttons. If it has front connectors that you don't think you will use, blank them off. Find a composite video/audio to HDMI converter box and mount it inside the VCR, then mount HDMI output in back of VCR so it looks stock. /ideas
ahhhhhh love it!!!!!!!!
thank you!

I was talking to the guy that runs the @keyclackers instagram page he painted his Corsair 250d with plasti dip said it works wonders I think I will try that!