Modding GPU coolers into CPU coolers

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I remember your thread !

I meant to mention it in the first post but couldn't find it anymore. I thought it was on SIlentpcreview.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm pretty amazed at how common these semi-DIY CPU coolers for SFF are. Some very, very cool stuff here. I'm a bit bummed that my S1 has such a small cold plate compared to the Accelero Mono Plus, but I suppose that's a consequence of it being made for passive cooling and thus relatively small and not as power-hungry GPUs relative to the size of the heatsink. I just really hope I'm right in my (entirely unfounded) guesstimate that the size difference between it and the IHS isn't going to be a problem for my use. Also, I'm open to delidding (and relidding with liquid metal) the APU if they're still using TIM on them by the time I get around to doing my build. I'm not crazy enough (/talented enough at making mounting brackets :p ) to try to run direct-die cooling with a custom heatsink, though.

More back to the topic of this thread, though: @aquelito , how did you figure out the correct length of your mounting standoffs while still providing sufficient mounting pressure for an LGA socket? Or is the retention bracket on your motherboard strong enough to provide that by itself? Also, are you just fastening the standoffs with nuts on the back of the motherboard, or do you have some sort of backplate there as well?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@aquelito , how did you figure out the correct length of your mounting standoffs while still providing sufficient mounting pressure for an LGA socket? Or is the retention bracket on your motherboard strong enough to provide that by itself? Also, are you just fastening the standoffs with nuts on the back of the motherboard, or do you have some sort of backplate there as well?

I just placed the heatsink onto the CPU IHS and measured the exact distance between the motherboard and the mounting bracket :)

The standoffs are female-female, fastened with screws and rigid vulcanised washer at the back of the mobo. No mounting backplate.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
So, I just finished to adapt an other oldschool beast from Thermalright, the Thermalright T-Rad2, this time to cool an i3 7100.
With a 28 mm height only, I though it would the perfect candidate for low profile passive cooling.

Well, results are less convincing than the Shaman.

After 7 min of Handbrake bench, both cores would reach 79°C.
Idle temp was around 30°.

A slow 60 mm fan on top of the heatsink would keep the temperatures in line.
74°C after 20 min of Handbrake.

I've checked several times and the contact between the CPU and heatsink seems good.
I'll try using shorter standoffs.

It looks good though.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
So, I just finished to adapt an other oldschool beast from Thermalright, the Thermalright T-Rad2, this time to cool an i3 7100.
With a 28 mm height only, I though it would the perfect candidate for low profile passive cooling.

A slow 60 mm fan on top of the heatsink would keep the temperatures in line.
74°C after 20 min of Handbrake.

I've checked several times and the contact between the CPU and heatsink seems good.
I'll try using shorter standoffs.

It looks good though.

Looks nice! One question: how are you mounting these coolers? Are you making your own brackets? If so, how?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016

If that could affect the heatpipes efficency, did you try to change the case orientation to see if you get better temps?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I did not mention it but the case was placed horizontally during all the tests, to take advantage of natural convection.
The vertical stand was only meant for the picture.

Looks nice! One question: how are you mounting these coolers? Are you making your own brackets? If so, how?

Yes I had custom aluminium brackets laser-cut to fit the heatsink existing mounting holes.
It only takes a few measurements and a couple of minutes in CAD !

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yes I had custom aluminium brackets laser-cut to fit the heatsink existing mounting holes.
It only takes a few measurements and a couple of minutes in CAD !
Yeah, doesn't sound difficult, I just can't find anyone doing that kind of work for even semi-reasonable prices here in Norway. Guess that's a consequence of living in a small country. Paying >$100 for a tiny mounting bracket isn't all that tempting when the same price can get you a high-end LP air cooler with money to spare. Suppose it's a good thing my HTPC project is on hold - I'll have more time to source my cooler mounting bracket :D

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
To be honest, I just add these small pieces to much larger orders !
I get them basically for almost free :)

If you need, you can send me the DWG files of your brackets and I'll add them to my next order (possibly next month).
You'll just have to pay for postage to Norway + few euros for the cutting.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
To be honest, I just add these small pieces to much larger orders !
I get them basically for almost free :)

If you need, you can send me the DWG files of your brackets and I'll add them to my next order (possibly next month).
You'll just have to pay for postage to Norway + few euros for the cutting.
That would be absolutely brilliant! I don't have a design ready, and won't have time to put one together for the next few weeks at least (work trips and lots of stuff happening), but if I could get back to you at a later time I would absolutely love that. I'm not in any rush (it looks like my HTPC upgrade won't happen until 2020, barring a sudden influx of money and better-than-expected performance from 3000-series APUs - currently I'm hoping for a 7nm Zen2+Navi APU :) ), so I'd of course be willing to wait until whenever you're able to fit it in.

I have an idea for a bracket design, though I'll have to work on it to figure out just how complicated I need to make it to fit the Accelero's existing mounting hardware (and removing that for simplicity would require a scary level of precision in making the bracket), avoid collisions with the heatpipes, and ensure decent contact and a secure mount. How thick is the aluminium you're using?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

Back at it again, I've modded a Zalman VF900 (Fatal1ty Edition ?) to cool an i7 3630QM (45W).

Works perfectly so far. The magic of that cooler is that the performance drop between 12V and 5V is not important.

After more than 1h of Handbrake bench, Prime95 or Valley Bench, the i7 3630QM temp stays under 65°C with the fan turned down to the minimum.
In almost total silent (not the case of the 1050 Ti).

Not bad for a 30 mm high heatsink.

I will try to fit this small gaming build into a Streacom F1C case :) along with a 180W 12V PSU.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
It's a custom riser I made for thin itx mobo few years back.
Link in my signature !

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Those risers are excellent. I love the idea of folding back the GPU over the motherboard. I have a full height riser which I have been experimenting with but these are much better. I definitely don't need one, or a thin mITX board...

Have you considered deshrouding the GPU to use one large fan over both GPU and CPU?

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Have you considered deshrouding the GPU to use one large fan over both GPU and CPU?

This is what I had in mind originally but I won't have enough room for an internal psu if I use a large fan.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

This time I have modded a Thermalright HR-03 GT to cool a GTX 1650 Super, semi-fanless style.
I'm using both 120 mm fans from the CPU cooler (an other Thermalright cooler) to cool the GPU.

Working great so far !

57° max (25° ambient) in Valley Bench, 67° under OCCT Power (heavy load on both the CPU and GPU).

GPU VRMs are cooled by a 60mm fan (they would go up to 90° fanless), which mounting holes perfectly matches the 1650 Super dimensions (51 x 51 mm).

The whole package is powered by a HDPLEX 400W and Meanwell 400W, placed into a Lian-li PC-Q06 open-air bench.
Really love the way it turned out visually !

Some temporary pictures :

Last edited: