Log Modded Skyreach 4 with supreme GPU cooling

Profix-25lO

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
Picture of the build

I made a new cutout in the back of the case so that i can push the gpu further in the back where the SSDs normally are (I only use m.2 storage so i don't need that space).

This allows to install full size fans. It is possible to mount a 120mm and 92mm fan but I chose 2x 92mm fans as it looks better and provides enough cooling to run the 2070 super on its maximum power consumption without temperature issues. It will hit 80°C but is nowhere near the 90s.

I also made a custom cover for the hdplex 400 with the fan on top of it.

Ibraah3m

Chassis Packer
Mar 9, 2017
This is awesome, could you upload a picture of what the rear IO looks like as well? This looks like something Id wanna try out as well

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
interesting, what were your performance / temp numbers from this upgrade to full size (i assume 25mm fans) from the usual 15mm Noctua's? and which fans did you end up using exactly?

..did you take temp readings from before/after?

Profix-25lO

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
I just did some more accurate measurements. After 10 Minutes of Furmark with the power limit at max (constant 240W Power Draw) the GPU Temp is at 81°C. With the fans at 78% speed (1950RPM). I bought the Actic F9 PWM PST Co because they are a great value and have actually decent colours. They are audible. But i don't mind as my GPU never draws that much power during normal use. If I spend a bit more time on the fankurve I can surely improve the noise with some loss in temperature.

At normal use and undervolting the fans are almost inaudible and if you wear closed headphones you can not hear them at all.

I remember doing some testing were the gpu temp at max power and fan speed was reaching the 90s where the gpu thermal throttled. So this fan config could even handle a 2080 ti if some board manufacturere decided to make a small 2080 ti.

Before i did this I use the 2 fans from the noctua L12 (120mm and 92mm fan):

The temperaturs with this config ended up at 75°C. But the looks are not as clean.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Nice work on the mod, I'll still stick to my 2x92mm slim Noctua's as i need the back of the GPU for SSD/HDDs still. Although it's nice to see what more can be done with S4M GPU cooling abilities
I should also mention that I used liquid metal on the GPU
Interesting, i would've thought a liquid metal GPU would cool better? Well, either way, I hope the liquid metal lasts and doesnt leak :)