Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

osin17

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2019
Hello,
I took really long time to think between a 5L Skyreach and DAN A4-sfx.
Finally I chosed a4 Sfx because of cpu power. But I was frustrating about how to make colder a ryzen 105w inside.
And you give me the reason to chose Mjolnir by providing a way to choose 120mm aio fan.

I'm waiting since one week for pre-order now ?.
But I think my two questions can interest people here.

1st I saw than I can put an h60 corsair aio inside but I think it's a bit lower to refresh ryzen 3950x. So do you think it passed if I put h60 with two noctua 15mm fan, so I will get 57mm aio height instead of 56 pm preconized in your figures.

I want to know if you can provide some guide for modding the case like 2d/ 3d models.

Thank you for your answer ?

Reactions: AlexTzone

osin17

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2019
Hello,
I took really long time to think between a 5L Skyreach and DAN A4-sfx.
Finally I chosed a4 Sfx because of cpu power. But I was frustrating about how to make colder a ryzen 105w inside.
And you give me the reason to chose Mjolnir by providing a way to choose 120mm aio fan.

I'm waiting since one week for pre-order now ?.
But I think my two questions can interest people here.

1st I saw than I can put an h60 corsair aio inside but I think it's a bit lower to refresh ryzen 3950x. So do you think it passed if I put h60 with two noctua 15mm fan, so I will get 57mm aio height instead of 56 pm preconized in your figures.

I want to know if you can provide some guide for modding the case like 2d/ 3d models.

Thank you for your answer ?
Finally find my own answer in your thermal test.
I saw alson on the picture that it should be possibleto fit two noctua 15mm fan in sandwich style of a corsair h60
https://thor-zone.com/publicfiles/THOR_ZONE_MJOLNIR_THERMALS.pdf

Keep watching this post :-+1

• Love

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
It had trouble air cooling a 65w CPU. Perhaps if the next version could be a little taller to accommodate top and bottom fans it will fare better. As it is, if one wanted to air-cool a CPU, they would have to use a 35w or lower TDP CPU. Perhaps an i9-9900T (35w). Would like to see a thermal test with air-cooling a 35w CPU.

Last edited:

osin17

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2019
It had trouble air cooling a 65w CPU. Perhaps if the next version could be a little taller to accommodate top and bottom fans it will fare better. As it is, if one wanted to air-cool a CPU, they would have to use a 35w or lower TDP CPU. Perhaps an i9-9900T (35w). Would like to see a thermal test with air-cooling a 35w CPU.

You're right.
We should definitively go to watercooling over 35W

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
Gonna disagree a bit here. Calling the 8700 a 65W CPU is misleading with Turbo on. (Which is when it struggled) The "test configuration" section explicitly states the CPU power draw is 107W in that mode. People put a weird amount of emphasis on TDP numbers when running the CPU with settings that the TDP isn't based on. Prime 95 for 30 minutes is also well beyond typical usage. I'm not saying throw caution to the wind, but I think people are over-reacting. A 65W CPU within spec will be fine with an L9a/i. I personally plan to WC, but I'm also probably going to be using a CPU with higher draw than 65W.

Last edited:

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
Gonna disagree a bit here. Calling the 8700 a 65W CPU is misleading with Turbo on. (Which is when it struggled) The "test configuration" section explicitly states the CPU power draw is 107W in that mode. People put a weird amount of emphasis on TDP numbers when running the CPU with settings that the TDP isn't based on. Prime 95 for 30 minutes is also well beyond typical usage. I'm not saying throw caution to the wind, but I think people are over-reacting. A 65W CPU within spec will be fine with an L9a/i. I personally plan to WC, but I'm also probably going to be using a CPU with higher draw than 65W.

Granted. Especially a non-k version of the Intel ones. Intel's i9-9900T (35w) is on par with i7-8700K according to geekbench. So that would be a perfect candidate for air-cooling with a Noctua NH-L9i. Nice, cool, quiet Mjolnir

And then, there's also the ability to limit turbo TDP in BIOS to 65w on 65w CPUs. So all in all, things would work out nicely air cooling.

I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of AIOs.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountNoctua

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I thought your soul would be Beige & Brown. You fake Noctua addict :p

Confession time: my body says Noctua, but my heart says "be quiet!" :D

Agreed. I can get my 3700X (also a 65W part) with L9a pretty warm in torture test scenarios like Prime95 or AIDA64, but in most situations it's fairly cool. The TDP doesn't mean quite what most people expect it to mean; I treat it the same way I do battery life numbers for laptops and smartphones, where there's either an implicit or explicit asterisk that it's a number coming from whatever specific testing configuration, methodology, and definition the company uses, and not a guarantee of x number of hours in the worst-case scenario.

No company wants to market the worst-case figure, especially when there's no standard workload or configuration. TDP is sufficient as a base, ballpark number, but always have to look at reviews or run your own tests. I always shop with either thermal headroom from cooling option in mind, or otherwise I am prepared to drop core voltage/clockspeed to reduce heat.

Last edited:

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
It's a confusing subject. The untamed power draw on the i7 8700 was 120W, but after undervolting it got down to 107W. In any case (hoho), it's a pretty insane leap from 65W. My questions are:
  • Do most 65W CPUs scale the same in power draw? (to 120W or 2x)
  • Do coolers take this into account in their specs?
If not, well then those wattages are unreliable...and if they are unreliable what's the point?

Btw, what do you guys think of the new logo? ? ? The old "T" was soooooo boring. Disclaimer: the new logo is not a stick figure with humongous boobs! It's a a viking face.

Reactions: CountNoctua

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019
It's a confusing subject. The untamed power draw on the i7 8700 was 120W, but after undervolting it got down to 107W. In any case (hoho), it's a pretty insane leap from 65W. My questions are:
  • Do coolers take this into account in their specs?
If not, well then those wattages are unreliable...and if they are unreliable what's the point?

Latest Intel 65w CPUs can kick up quite a bit over TDP, a figure which just means that at 65w you can get base frequency sustained. But turbo TDP can also be limited in BIOS of most mobos. Even time duration of turbo @ a max defined TDP can be set. There's a small loss in performance if fixed at base TDP. Settting 10w over TDP (75w) for 2 secs max should narrow that loss.

Here's a test of TDP fixed at 95w on a K series Intel i9-9900K: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13591/the-intel-core-i9-9900k-at-95w-fixing-the-power-for-sff/9

Btw, what do you guys think of the new logo? ? ? The old "T" was soooooo boring. Disclaimer: the new logo is not a stick figure with humongous boobs! It's a a viking face.

Like!

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
It's unfortunately a bit more nuanced than a simple Yes/No can answer. Intel defines TDP as...

"Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload."

The key words here are "at Base Frequency". As a result, all Intel TDPs tend to underestimate actual heat dissipation requirements by a noticeable amount. To add to this many if not most high end mobos will default to having MCE enabled. Multi-Core Enhancement attempts to boost all cores to the boost frequency. This, of course, drastically increases the power draw and heat output.

AMD's definition of TDP varies from Intel's. I don't know of a publicly available definition provided by the company off the top of my head, but most sources refer to it as based on a "typical workload". I.E. not just running base clocks. Because of this their TDP ratings trend far closer to reality. An AMD TDP rating of 105 is often better than an Intel rating of 95. The rough analogue to MCE (really rough, don't crucify me) for AMD would be PBO. Precision Boost Overdrive is never enabled by default so there generally isn't any confusion caused by it. Additionally, AMD products tend to be released far closer to their theoretical maximums with little OC headroom so even with PBO enabled power draw tends not to go too far out of line without a custom OC.

Last edited:

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I know that it is difficult to change the design at this point.

I would like to comment on the improvements to the next version.

The gap between the current version of the side panel and the unibody has sufficient tolerances.

However, I think it is not good for beauty to see LED light coming out through the cracks.

Is it impossible to process stairs on the outside of the side panel and to assemble them with the steps of the unibody?

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
I encourage everyone to laugh at me for this idea, my drawing skills, or both, but I thought of an accessory that could come out at a later date.

Probably an impracticle idea because of how much height would need to be added to allow the cables to bend safely, but I thought I'd take a second to illustrate it and throw it out to the world for ridicule. I just think the Mjolnir would look pretty cool vertical. :p

wertigon

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2019
I encourage everyone to laugh at me for this idea, my drawing skills, or both, but I thought of an accessory that could come out at a later date.

Probably an impracticle idea because of how much height would need to be added to allow the cables to bend safely, but I thought I'd take a second to illustrate it and throw it out to the world for ridicule. I just think the Mjolnir would look pretty cool vertical. :p

Hey, not a bad idea at all, I support it. Height would not need to be that large given the right cable types / adapters, you could realistically get away with around 30mm extra height from table + whatever footprint the base will leave you.

90 degree adapters / cables to display port, HDMI port, power cable, network cable and usb cables exist already and those should come with the accessory upon purchase (or better yet - offered as an option) IMO.

Only problem then would be wifi antennas, but this could perhaps be solved with either having gaps in the shroud, or through an antenna extender connector, possibly also an optional part of the package? You should also perhaps include a USB hub in the stand for some extra front I/O greatness, since the back will be hard to access properly for USB sticks and the like.

In keeping with norse mythology perhaps call it Sleipner, I know it isn't technically correct since it's Odins horse, but whatever ;)

Shinken1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2019

I like the idea behind the new logo keeping the Norse theme. For me the old logo fit the sharp design of your case & was very easily recognisable, the new logo looks a bit complicated.

Your water cooled GPU case looks awesome by the way!