Stalled Mini reservoir + fill port for SFF Cases

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
After the creation of Aquanaut, there seems to be many requests for reservoir feature either included with the water block or as a separate unit. So this is what this project is about ?. But I will need your suggestions. Lets gather ideas from other threads on this particular subject and let me know what you need.

Product name: TBC
Description: reservoir for SFF cases
Main functions: reservoir + fill port
Dimension (H): target 50-55mm (total) limit for SFF Cases
Design: maintain symmetry to allow for flexible orientation (i.e. square, circular shape)

Motherboard layout reference - suggest where you would like to put the reservoir ?
Asus ROG - B550
b550-top.jpg b550-perspective.jpg

Asus ROG - X570
x570-top.jpg x570-perspective.jpg

Asus Z490
z490-top.jpg z490-perspective.jpg

Design draft
[working on it]

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Yes I know, would be nice to be able to top off the fluids in it, since the bubbles would stick in it.
There are multi-port variants out there that solve just this problem :)
this is my solution - have a spare Bitspower Magic Cube top (originally gonna use it with the pump but Aquanaut changed that), and have a piece of 5mm thick acrylic cut to size as a 'bottom'. Combining the 2 together and I have a 62x62x30mm reservoir with 3 inlets and 1 outlet. It is not as compact as a flow indicator but there's no disassemble of anything and much more versatility given the total of 4x G1/4 threads ?

Reactions: eedev and ten13th

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
So, you guys are basically saying @Nouvolo needs to make something a tad bigger without having to do disassembly of other products.
AQ already within 0.5mm height clearance of T1 on a 3 slot config... how much bigger can it get? If it can't go taller, it has to go fatter... Still thinking about how to do this... lets have the community's thoughts

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
AQ already within 0.5mm height clearance of T1 on a 3 slot config... how much bigger can it get? If it can't go taller, it has to go fatter... Still thinking about how to do this... lets have the community's thoughts
I just looked at the mounted AQ again (Intel, AMD). Seems like the only way you could expand the block is to making it "+" shape? Not sure about the Intel mount, but from the AMD mount looks like there's enough space to add some G1/4 threads on the newly expanded section?

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
my situation is reversed since I can get the Magic Cube locally and 0 availability for Alphacool stuff. Then Aquanaut came and made it redundant so I turned it into a multiport reservoir instead but getting a 5mm thick "base" with DDC screw holes. the plan is to have it sit flat in the GPU chambers instead of vertical mount Fabio and others have done with the pump installed.

Been letting it sit for a day now and no leak but will test it again with the EK leak tester once I get to do my loop in the T1.
this is my mini res now - dimension is 62x62x30mm, 4 G1/4 threads - 3 inlet, 1 outlet

Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
nice, what's the thickness limit so that it can fit T1?

Its sub 30mm, but I think it depends on the board. My board has a low profile M2 heat spreader, so I plan to use that space (where the "pico" res is now).

Additionally I use the an inverted format (Rad and fans at the bottom) to get the biggest space above the pump for the res.

Traditional layout on the left, my orientation on the right.

(Excuse my potato pics, really need to shoot it outside when the new res is installed):

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Its sub 30mm, but I think it depends on the board. My board has a low profile M2 heat spreader, so I plan to use that space (where the "pico" res is now).
Yea, I need to consider making it compatible with more motherboards. e.g. Strix boards are known for those thic heatsinks... your res may not fit for other mb... ? Need more research before diving in.