Mini-ITX and GTX 1080 case concept design

HgArg

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Hi SFF community!

I made a concept of a cube design case, this is the main idea:

Approximate dimensions: 210x210x350 mm.

It allows to use standard parts, Mini-ITX motherboard + GPU up to 270 mm + normal PSU (150x140x86 mm):

(No GeForece GTX 1080 Founders Edition is shown in the picture).
The ports are in the bottom of the PC.
No need a PCI-Express X16 riser.

Ventilation exhaust proposal:

Inspired by: http://www.streacom.com/products/db4-fanless-chassis/.

I need moral support to continue with the design (and maybe will make a prototype!) :D.

Bye!

PS: I'm working in a more compact cube :p.

Last edited:

Hahutzy

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 9, 2015
The actual airflow for all the components is reversed; they all suck air in to cool the components instead of blowing hot air out.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Beautiful take on the DB4. I love it.
How do you plan to fabricate that shell? Mill it from 1pc or mill the sides and attach them to corner braces like Hex cases?

FCase

Reactions: HgArg

HgArg

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Beautiful take on the DB4. I love it.
How do you plan to fabricate that shell? Mill it from 1pc or mill the sides and attach them to corner braces like Hex cases?

FCase
Hi FCase.
I will print it, I have a 3D printer with 250x250 mm bed, no problem here.
For mass production I thought in aluminium profiles, maybe two types (corner and wall) that assemble together, this method allows make different sizes of cases. The ventilation holes is another problem.

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The divider between the top and bottom cubes makes me think if this design could be made modular. That is, a single cube design for shorter cards, shorter coolers and PSU placement at the bottom, but if you add on the second cube on top, you can accommodate full-length cards and move the PSU on the top (as you show it in your parts layout). Maybe it's worth looking at?

HgArg

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
The divider between the top and bottom cubes makes me think if this design could be made modular. That is, a single cube design for shorter cards, shorter coolers and PSU placement at the bottom, but if you add on the second cube on top, you can accommodate full-length cards and move the PSU on the top (as you show it in your parts layout). Maybe it's worth looking at?
Hi. Maybe for another kind of PC like the Acer Revo Build, will be more complex.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Oh that's a cool idea! not really feasible with that PSU but if you had a FlexATX/1U mount above the mainboard, this could actually work quite well. All components mounted to the bottom, then depending on the length of PSU and GPU you can just stack a second shell on top. Bonus points for making it feasible as a double-system case where you can also stack a second full case on top and feed all the I/O through to the bottom.