Original poster
May 15, 2017
Hi there!

I built myself a sff case, with this components:

asus z170i
i7-6700k
sfx-l psu
gigabyte gtx 1070 mini itx

So, as you may see, I built it with the aim of occupying the least space possible.
My problem is GPu temps... at 100% load it reaches 80º C and it gets pretty noisy.
I lately came up with the idea of watercooling my rig, so I want to know if it would be possible to use two 120mm aio watercoolers, one for the CPU and other for de GPU. My concerns are the fittings on the GPU, as well as chip and powerunit of the GPU being cooled properly.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2017
I hear Alphacool blocks are pretty good. You can use their site to find one: http://www.hwconfig.com/waterblock-finder

It's in German I can still understand it.

Here's what I got for your GPU.

djtinxo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 15, 2017
Thanks for the answer!
But do you people think I would be risking too much if I put just a cpu aio watercooler? The gpu could have a case fan blowing directly to it.

Reactions: SeñorDonut
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks for the answer!
But do you people think I would be risking too much if I put just a cpu aio watercooler? The gpu could have a case fan blowing directly to it.

No, you'd be fine. Just make sure the bracket fits and put heatsinks on any RAM or VRM chips.

Reactions: djtinxo

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hi there!

I built myself a sff case, with this components:

asus z170i
i7-6700k
sfx-l psu
gigabyte gtx 1070 mini itx

So, as you may see, I built it with the aim of occupying the least space possible.
My problem is GPu temps... at 100% load it reaches 80º C and it gets pretty noisy.
I lately came up with the idea of watercooling my rig, so I want to know if it would be possible to use two 120mm aio watercoolers, one for the CPU and other for de GPU. My concerns are the fittings on the GPU, as well as chip and powerunit of the GPU being cooled properly.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
What boost clock speed is your card achieving at this temperature and what fan RPM are you seeing?

80C is a perfectly acceptable temperature for this 1070, the cards are designed to automatically overclock until they reach their thermal target which is 83C for the Gigabyte ITX card, once they hit their target they start to reduce the boost clock speed in combination with the fan profile to keep temps at a steady 82C/83C.

Have you tried changing the fan profile in the Gigabyte software to the 'silent' profile? You will get a much lower noise level at the expense of an few extra degrees temp and maybe a slightly lower boost clock speed.

Don't forget the card is automatically overclocking above its rated boost clock (1721Mhz) before it reaches its thermal temperature, I have this card and mine runs at around 1750Mhz - 1800Mhz at a temp of 82C/83C with fan profile set to silent running at roughly 1550rpm which is fairly quiet. Its not really thermal throttling until the clock speed drops below its rated core clock (1531Mhz), its only at this point I would start to worry about the thermal performance of your setup.

Is the hassle and expense of water cooling the GPU worth it to get those extra few boost clock MHz? In real terms you may see 1 or 2 extra fps in a game so maybe it is? But if not then you can try messing around with the Gigabyte software to see if you can get more acceptable noise levels and still keep 99% of the cards performance.

djtinxo

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 15, 2017
yeah, you may be right... I use afterburner with a custom fan curve, having 75º C as my max temp value, when the fan spins at 3000 rpms. I'm more worried about low temps than high clock speeds. Anyway, I'll try to "tolerate" higher temps and see if the noise is bearable at the fan speeds you mention.

On the other hand, my card has a terrible coil whine, also yours?