Micro ATX

BikingViking11

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
I've been building smaller systems for so long I don't really consider mATX as SFF, reserving that title for even smaller mITX systems. That said, I'm working on a mATX right now that definitely fits the "cramming 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb sack" criteria. Think it would be OK to post it?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Absolutely. mATX is IMO a bit underrated, as it does pretty much everything ATX does at a smaller size. There's nothing stopping an mATX build from being an impressive SFF project, it just needs to make good use of the possibilities of the board. Go for it!

BikingViking11

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
Absolutely. mATX is IMO a bit underrated, as it does pretty much everything ATX does at a smaller size. There's nothing stopping an mATX build from being an impressive SFF project, it just needs to make good use of the possibilities of the board. Go for it!
Thanks @Valantar . I looked through the forum rules and didn't see any restrictions so I'll post it up!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
To the extent that some people like to gatekeep what qualifies as SFF, it's usually 20L and under. ITX, mATX, ATX - doesn't matter, so long as it's under that limit.

Personally I think of that more as a guideline, rather than a hard limit. 20-30L cases that pack an especially noteworthy amount of stuff in can be just as interesting from a space savings perspective as something <10L.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
To the extent that some people like to gatekeep what qualifies as SFF, it's usually 20L and under. ITX, mATX, ATX - doesn't matter, so long as it's under that limit.

Personally I think of that more as a guideline, rather than a hard limit. 20-30L cases that pack an especially noteworthy amount of stuff in can be just as interesting from a space savings perspective as something <10L.

Wish the entire community could uphold this same outlook on SFF builds. Might just be a vocal minority, but I swear I have seen people shit blood over a 21L case being called SFF.