News MesoGlue - Room-Temperature Metal Glue

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Isn't glue used for metal bonding since over a decade? IIRC, nearly every car that was made in the last few years is glued together instead of being welded.
I might be wrong, but if I'm not, what's so special about this one?

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
what's so special about this one?

It's a metal base, not a polymer one. They are using gallium and indium as the two components of the glue in the example they presented. It looks like they also have a friction welding process for joining two metallic objects with their whisker surface prep, as well.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The downside is the need to coat both surfaces with a precise nanostructure (dense spaced pin array). That's not going to be easy.

|||

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Yes, they don't reveal how they achieve the whisker structure on the surfaces. Is it with use of an electromagnetic field? Is it a result of sputtering? It will be interesting to see how much this process costs and if it can be achievable outside a dedicated facility...at least they said they are working on moving it to production, so it is a real thing that has market potential.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It's a metal base, not a polymer one. They are using gallium and indium as the two components of the glue in the example they presented. It looks like they also have a friction welding process for joining two metallic objects with their whisker surface prep, as well.

Ah, I see, thanks for clearing that up.