Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
True, could also be an enhanced fan/RGB hub with a display. Would be neat to have a less DIY solution that current displays I see in other builds.
Oh dear. Fan/RGB hubs are the nexus of all the cable mess in your entire RGB-addled case, while a display needs to be placed very visibly. I guess you could make some kind of interesting octopus/jellyfish themed builds using something like that, but otherwise that sounds like a pretty bad combination :p

Uglobu

Chassis Packer
Feb 21, 2021
In case anyone wants to add an additional 240 mm radiator, I have uploaded a first version of a mounting bracket for the GPU side to thingiverse. Disclaimer: Have not yet laser cut it myself, just tried it with a cutout but it worked great.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
EKWB teasing a new AIO cooler for Computex.

I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with the Meshlicious case? Doesn't even seem to be compatible, due to the bottom picture showing a 360 radiator.

Reactions: futurewau

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
In case anyone wants to add an additional 240 mm radiator, I have uploaded a first version of a mounting bracket for the GPU side to thingiverse. Disclaimer: Have not yet laser cut it myself, just tried it with a cutout but it worked great.
Excellent! I would love to see some dual-rad builds, whether using those super-slim 17mm Aliexpress rads or something thicker (if possible).

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with the Meshlicious case? Doesn't even seem to be compatible, due to the bottom picture showing a 360 radiator.
People here have been pretty hyped around various EK AIOs as they tend to be some of the best cooling you can fit in the Meshlicious. It seems kind of doubtful that they'd release a 360mm-only version of a premium variant like this, so there's likely to be 240mm too, and maybe even 280mm?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
People here have been pretty hyped around various EK AIOs as they tend to be some of the best cooling you can fit in the Meshlicious. It seems kind of doubtful that they'd release a 360mm-only version of a premium variant like this, so there's likely to be 240mm too, and maybe even 280mm?

I understand your point, although my question still stands... What does that specific AIO have to do with this thread in particular?

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Some of us with the TG versions of this case like myself included have had a hard choice of which AIO cooler they wanted in this case usually coming down to the choice of the NZXT Z63 vs the EKWB AIO's earlier in the thread. Now EKWB seems to be announcing a cooler with best of both worlds. Posted the bottom pic to show off more of the shape of the cooler, EKWB releases all there coolers in 360,240,280 etc...

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Some of us with the TG versions of this case like myself included have had a hard choice of which AIO cooler they wanted in this case usually coming down to the choice of the NZXT Z63 vs the EKWB AIO's earlier in the thread. Now EKWB seems to be announcing a cooler with best of both worlds. Posted the bottom pic to show off more of the shape of the cooler, EKWB releases all there coolers in 360,240,280 etc...

Ah I see, wasn't aware it were also coming in the 240 and 280 variants. I know what you mean, I've myself gotten the Z63 for the TG Meshlicious in the future :)

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Ah I see, wasn't aware it were also coming in the 240 and 280 variants. I know what you mean, I've myself gotten the Z63 for the TG Meshlicious in the future :)
Ya man they announced a whole new lineup with only the Vision and Lux series coming out first and the Elite and Dark series coming later! the face plates can turn to show the EK logo the right side up as well. Also announced two new fans and and whole line up of new rads with both traditional and xflow designs

Reactions: Dawelio and rfarmer

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Ya man they announced a whole new lineup with only the Vision and Lux series coming out first and the Elite and Dark series coming later! the face plates can turn to show the EK logo the right side up as well. Also announced two new fans and and whole line up of new rads with both traditional and xflow designs
Where did you get this? I thought the reveal wasn't until later today.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
@BRSxIgnition i see you all over Reddit and IG haha

Hahaha - when I got that news I was just too excited to share. Still upset it took so long that the US got two shipments before Canada got one, but eh, what can you do?

Crossing my fingers that there's a Full White Mesh w/ PCIE 4.0 option I can snag when it goes up.

On that note, @BRSxIgnition are you still waiting on the 3080 Ti? Seems disappointing to me.

I posted this on the discord, but here are my takeaways:

All in all, I'm really rather surprised by the general angry/dissapointed feeling I get from reviewers RE: the 3080 Ti.

I understand being ticked off by the last minute price bump from $1K to $1.2K, and yeah, stock is low, scalpers will scalp, etc; but that's old news & just how things are right now.

I still believe it has some roles that it fills rather well: and issues it addresses:
  1. For gamers, it's essentially a 97-98% of a 3090 for $400 US less.
  2. At the same time, because it only needs 12Gb of GDDR6X, it removes that bottleneck from the manufacturing process and should be easier/quicker to manufacture than a 3090.
  3. It also repurposes silicon that didn't quite make the cut to be a full 3090 into a more powerful card than the 3080 it would have otherwise been cut down for, reducing waste.
All of that said... I'll probably buy a higher end 3080 or a lower end 3080 Ti now; whichever I'm able to snag first. Fingers crossed I can get something tomorrow.

Reactions: robojim

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I still believe it has some roles that it fills rather well: and issues it addresses:
  2. At the same time, because it only needs 12Gb of GDDR6X, it removes that bottleneck from the manufacturing process and should be easier/quicker to manufacture than a 3090.
  3. It also repurposes silicon that didn't quite make the cut to be a full 3090 into a more powerful card than the 3080 it would have otherwise been cut down for, reducing waste.
All of that said... I'll probably buy a higher end 3080 or a lower end 3080 Ti now; whichever I'm able to snag first. Fingers crossed I can get something tomorrow.

Do keep in mind that it basically has nothing to do with that. It won't be easier or quicker to manufacture overall. There's literally several queues in the world with over 1 million people in line for a GPU. The car industry has shut down some parts due to chip shortages.

Unfortunately, "releasing" this 3080 Ti at this time was a really bad time by Nvidia if you ask me. And for the price they did, even though it might be somewhat "okay". The fact that they did, they know the current situation and they know the 3080 Ti's will never sell for that price, just goes to show what kind of company they really are... They don't really care who gets it to be honest, as they will make their billions either way.

Reactions: Shinken1

Firebear

Trash Compacter
Oct 17, 2019
Nice one, I may remix that to fit a 280 (will 3d print tho) :) Otherwise I will try something else. I'll need every milimeter for a 30mm rad + 27mm Arctic P14's :D And yes, I will probably grind down and embed the fans into the radiator like some did with their T1 setup lol

Reactions: Uglobu

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Do keep in mind that it basically has nothing to do with that. It won't be easier or quicker to manufacture overall. There's literally several queues in the world with over 1 million people in line for a GPU. The car industry has shut down some parts due to chip shortages.

Unfortunately, "releasing" this 3080 Ti at this time was a really bad time by Nvidia if you ask me. And for the price they did, even though it might be somewhat "okay". The fact that they did, they know the current situation and they know the 3080 Ti's will never sell for that price, just goes to show what kind of company they really are... They don't really care who gets it to be honest, as they will make their billions either way.

These are debatable. Especially the first bolded point.
  1. Card 1 Requires:
    • 100 Parts
    • 100 Pieces
    • 24GB Micron GDDR6X
  2. Card 2 Requires:
    • 80 Parts
    • 80 Pieces
    • 12GB Micron GDDR6X
Which, logically, would be easiest to gather the parts for and assemble? Which is less complicated of the two?

This is factoring in the smaller cooler design used for the 3080 Ti, though not the lessened demand for 3090s as a result of the 3080 Ti release. I'm sure we've both seen stacks on stacks of EVGA 3090s just sitting on store shelves because nobody wanted to shell out that much for that card.

Regarding the second point, it probably will sell out, much like the 3080. Some may still go to bots/miners, sure, but a good number will probably also go to regular people looking for a top end card that just didn't want to pay for a 3090 and would rather get the same thing for a bit less.

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Hahaha - when I got that news I was just too excited to share. Still upset it took so long that the US got two shipments before Canada got one, but eh, what can you do?

Crossing my fingers that there's a Full White Mesh w/ PCIE 4.0 option I can snag when it goes up.

All in all, I'm really rather surprised by the general angry/dissapointed feeling I get from reviewers RE: the 3080 Ti.

I understand being ticked off by the last minute price bump from $1K to $1.2K, and yeah, stock is low, scalpers will scalp, etc; but that's old news & just how things are right now.

Honestly I knew Canada was going to get shafted on the launch of this case, hence why i went through my buddy in the US, but I wasn't looking for white, so that made it easier, i did initially want double mesh, but i actually really like the window haha i guess lian li knew what they were doing offering the TG lmao

honestly this Gen is a write off for video cards, i waited 4 months for 3080, gave up and bought a 6800xt and my buddy who had a preorder for a 3080 at the same store as me got his cancelled by the store a month after i cancelled mine, i knew that was going to happen. but honestly just grab what ever card you can get if your playing at 1440p , the 3060ti i was using easily maxed every game i was playing at 1440p.... hell even a 6700xt would max anything at 1440p...

im prob going to wait till the next gen cards to upgrade my 6800xt and 27gl850 to 32" 4k monitor and new flag ship... but after using this AMD i might even stay red team tbh , man the red team card i owned before this was the HD6990 lol

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

It's 97-98% of a 3090 for $400 less ... or 105-110% of a 3080 for $500 more. That is atrocious value. Saying "it's good value compared to the ludicrously priced top-end SKU" is allowing Nvidia to (constantly) shift the goal posts and set the bar for what constitutes value, and ignores all other context, such as ... well, life, reality, affordability, etc. If you (or anyone) can afford a 3090, good for you (/them), but if so you're in a privileged position that essentially nobody is in, and should recognize that. For everyone else, the question (after "can I at all afford this?") is "is this worth the price increase over the SKU below?" What you're saying is a clear reversal of logic that needs to be called out for its inherent biases and skewed priorities.

As for production costs ... well, if there are GDDR6X shortages as reported, this will be easier to make than the 3090. Beyond that it's the same die, the same substrate (another thing there is a shortage of), and essentially the same on-board components, just on a slightly smaller PCB (which doesn't matter in terms of cost - it might be $10 cheaper at best) and with a smaller cooler (again, immaterial in both cost and material usage, but worse in cooling of course).

It also doesn't reduce waste, as those pieces of silicon that didn't make the 3090 bin but did fit this (which are bound to be very few) would have become 3080s previously.