Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

OverloadEx3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 6, 2020
Couldn't quite find a specific answer in the manual (FAQ stated to check manual), on the gpu mounting options with 3.5" drives, I'd prefer to vertically mount a gpu rather than horizontal if possible.

What would the max gpu size i'd be able to go with (mounted vertically) whilst still being able to mount 2x 3.5" drives (or just 1 if that's an option).

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Couldn't quite find a specific answer in the manual (FAQ stated to check manual), on the gpu mounting options with 3.5" drives, I'd prefer to vertically mount a gpu rather than horizontal if possible.

What would the max gpu size i'd be able to go with (mounted vertically) whilst still being able to mount 2x 3.5" drives (or just 1 if that's an option).
None AFAIK. Both the drive cage and the vertical GPU mount are at the bottom of the case, so you have to pick one.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

Did you even look at the manual...? The diagrams there clearly show how 3.5" HDDs are implemented in the chassis...

But the answer is no, the only way to fit 3.5" HDDs is to use a shorty GPU in the horizontal orientation...

Rapide

Chassis Packer
Jun 29, 2019
Hello, anybody know about compatibility arctic freezer 280 II with asrock z390-itx PG and MSI z490-i Unify? As i understand its best AIO for this case?

kami_sama

Trash Compacter
Dec 15, 2019
Hello, anybody know about compatibility arctic freezer 280 II with asrock z390-itx PG and MSI z490-i Unify? As i understand its best AIO for this case?
We don't really know, but the arctic has issues with other cases, due to the way that the tubes exit the cpu block. So it might work, it might not.
We know that the nzxt kraken and corsair h100i work, and the bequiet pureloop does but it's a bit cramped with it's in-line pump. I don't think I've seen any other aios being used. But most aios with hinged tubes will most likely work.
Did you even look at the manual...? The diagrams there clearly show how 3.5" HDDs are implemented in the chassis...

But the answer is no, the only way to fit 3.5" HDDs is to use a shorty GPU in the horizontal orientation...
I had the same question before looking at the manual, I think the faq should be corrected, as many people will go there first for any questions they might have.

Reactions: OverloadEx3

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

First off, welcome to this Forum!

That FAQ is, IMHO, wrongly misleading.

Natively, when a GPU is mounted vertically, its output end would occupy the space where the drive bracket+ drives would be. So, no matter how short the display card is, drive bracket + drives just could not be positioned.

Since this is your first post, I would welcome you with a little solution:-
I propose, moving the bracket from the default position higher up to the top of the case. You just need to drill 3 holes (2 on the central spine and 1 on the corner vertical case support. These are noted as orange in the diagram b). I made 2 rough diagrams to show the idea. They are self explanatory.
Summarily, I estimate the max length of the display card sitting under the raised drive bracket + two 3.5'' drives is about 200mm (which is based on measurement of the to-scale diagram in the Manual). So, short ITX style cards could be installed (eg MSI 3060 Ti Aero).

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
(@OverloadEx3) Actually after looking at the manual, I think that's just a simple typo + the answer being put in the wrong section of the FAQ - the case fits two 2.5" drives with a vertical GPU, both at the bottom of the case. One beneath the PSU mount, one beneath the radiator mount. There is no space to install 3.5" drives with a vertical GPU.

As for drilling new mounting holes for the bracket - it might be possible, but that requires a level of accuracy not easily reached with hand tools. You'd also need to thread the holes (which is extremely difficult with thin sheet metal) or use longer screws with nuts on the back to fasten things securely. This might interfere with other components or HDDs inside of the cage. Given the combined weight of two 3.5" drives and the vibration produced by them when running, I would be very wary of trying this.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
(@OverloadEx3)
As for drilling new mounting holes for the bracket - it might be possible, but that requires a level of accuracy not easily reached with hand tools. You'd also need to thread the holes (which is extremely difficult with thin sheet metal) or use longer screws with nuts on the back to fasten things securely. This might interfere with other components or HDDs inside of the cage. Given the combined weight of two 3.5" drives and the vibration produced by them when running, I would be very wary of trying this.
The new holes are not needed to be threaded. The threads to receive the mounting screws are in the bracket itself already. Also, if a nut-and-bolt system is used, judging from the 2nd diagram, they would not interfere with the drives at all as the drives are suspended below the mounting holes. Regarding vibration, as the bracket has the same 3-point mounting positions, its resistance to vibration is basically the same as the default one.

But I do agree that...hand tools?...forget it. Power tools....a piece of cake.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The new holes are not needed to be threaded. The threads to receive the mounting screws are in the bracket itself already. Also, if a nut-and-bolt system is used, judging from the 2nd diagram, they would not interfere with the drives at all as the drives are suspended below the mounting holes. Regarding vibration, as the bracket has the same 3-point mounting positions, its resistance to vibration is basically the same as the default one.

But I do agree that...hand tools?...forget it. Power tools....a piece of cake.
Ah, you're right about the threading. That ought to work then. As for power tools, you'd still need to drill quite accurately (and getting your mounting holes lined up without a drill press is not easy, even using a centre punch - those measurements need to be within ~1mm of each other unless you're drilling the holes very large, which could result in a skewed mount). As for vibration, remember that the top of the case is inherently less stable than the bottom, so moving the vibrations up will change resonant frequencies, likely result in more vibrations passing through the case, etc.

If I were looking to do a 3.5" HDD build in this with a decent GPU, I'd use the horizontal GPU mount, SFX PSU, a thick 120mm radiator in the bottom front of the case (should be room for quite a lot more than 62mm there), and call it a day.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I mean, its not that hard. Measure properly, use a sharp center punch and pre-drill with a smaller drill if cant keep it on center.

That being said, I don't get the point of using HDD's in a desktop pc these days, let alone in a SFF desktop.

Chuck those noisy, vibrating bastards in a NAS (bought or DIY, plenty of cheap options these days) and hide them away somewhere they can't be heard nor take up valuable space.

kami_sama

Trash Compacter
Dec 15, 2019
I mean, its not that hard. Measure properly, use a sharp center punch and pre-drill with a smaller drill if cant keep it on center.

That being said, I don't get the point of using HDD's in a desktop pc these days, let alone in a SFF desktop.

Chuck those noisy, vibrating bastards in a NAS (bought or DIY, plenty of cheap options these days) and hide them away somewhere they can't be heard nor take up valuable space.
Yeah, I am planning on using a DAT enclosure with usb3.
Would love to have a 3.5 inside, but I am content with them being outside.
I even considered putting them outside but connecting them to the mobo lol

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

I suppose, he has 20TB+ data that cannot be fitted into a M.2 format drive, and he travels with his system and is not convenient to bring along a NAS?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I suppose, he has 20TB+ data that cannot be fitted into a M.2 format drive, and he travels with his system and is not convenient to bring along a NAS?
A small case + a multi-drive DAS enclosure would still be more convenient. I think there are even some NASes that can work as a DAS if you want it to, so you could have the best of both worlds.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I mean, sure, if you have 20+ TB of data you don't mind losing. we're talking at least 10TB drives here, so a single drive failure would take out massive amount of data at once.

You could go Raid 1 but that incredibly inefficient in terms of cost, performance and capacity.

So unless you really need to travel with, for example, your entire insane library of games that are easily recovered, I don't see how it'd be useful?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Does anyone have suggestions for HDMI 2.1 or Display Port 1.4 cables that will fit the lowest GPU position? Maybe we could get a list or something going for future reference?

I looked on Amazon.ca but had a hard time finding cables that actually listed clearance from the port as a specification, even on the right-angle, low-profile cables.

The solution is the 3D print taller feet, 50mm is enough to fit a lot of the low profile cables.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@lolcat , @203Null , @BRSxIgnition

Try and avoid those type of angle adapter. Like the previous post, the best and easiest thing is just 3D print taller feet if you must have a MSI Suprim X or any GPU that's more than 320mm long.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

None AFAIK. Both the drive cage and the vertical GPU mount are at the bottom of the case, so you have to pick one.

We don't really know, but the arctic has issues with other cases, due to the way that the tubes exit the cpu block. So it might work, it might not.
We know that the nzxt kraken and corsair h100i work, and the bequiet pureloop does but it's a bit cramped with it's in-line pump. I don't think I've seen any other aios being used. But most aios with hinged tubes will most likely work.

I had the same question before looking at the manual, I think the faq should be corrected, as many people will go there first for any questions they might have.

The FAQ has been updated with the correct info.

Natively, when a GPU is mounted vertically, its output end would occupy the space where the drive bracket+ drives would be. So, no matter how short the display card is, drive bracket + drives just could not be positioned.

I propose, moving the bracket from the default position higher up to the top of the case. You just need to drill 3 holes (2 on the central spine and 1 on the corner vertical case support. These are noted as orange in the diagram b). I made 2 rough diagrams to show the idea. They are self explanatory.
Summarily, I estimate the max length of the display card sitting under the raised drive bracket + two 3.5'' drives is about 200mm (which is based on measurement of the to-scale diagram in the Manual). So, short ITX style cards could be installed (eg MSI 3060 Ti Aero).

@Valantar @tinyitx @Gilles3000

We should have included these holes for this version. I guess we can put this in for future update.

OverloadEx3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 6, 2020

I did look at the manual, my problem which you would've seen had you read my question properly was the slightly misleading FAQ (as others have stated in further replies). Though I appreciate the answer nonetheless.

Thanks for the welcome, been stalking the forum and sffpc sub-reddit and discord for a little while haha!

I did think that the FAQ was probably wrong, thought I'd ask anyway, I also heavily appreciate the in-depth response!

The solution you provided is very interesting, pretty much visualises one of the options I considered in my head, I do have access to a drill press so drilling those holes would be a viable option (I agree with what @Valantar said, no chance am I trying that with hand tools or power tools lol).

(@OverloadEx3) Actually after looking at the manual, I think that's just a simple typo + the answer being put in the wrong section of the FAQ - the case fits two 2.5" drives with a vertical GPU, both at the bottom of the case. One beneath the PSU mount, one beneath the radiator mount. There is no space to install 3.5" drives with a vertical GPU.

Thanks for the response!

I have thought that the weight of two 3.5" drives with the vibration produced may be a cause for concern at the top of the case, though there may be ways of mitigating such vibration through some sort of DIYing.

If I were looking to do a 3.5" HDD build in this with a decent GPU, I'd use the horizontal GPU mount, SFX PSU, a thick 120mm radiator in the bottom front of the case (should be room for quite a lot more than 62mm there), and call it a day.
Now that's an option I didn't consider, definitely something to ponder over, thank you!

I understand it was a bit of a strange request, if needs be I would just buy/DIY a NAS but I like the idea of having it all in one system, challenging the constraints of the case and what not. Plus the noise of HDD's has never really bothered me, I guess that's mainly because I wear headphones a lot so I don't tend to hear my pc haha.

The FAQ has been updated with the correct info.

@Valantar @tinyitx @Gilles3000

We should have included these holes for this version. I guess we can put this in for future update.
Adding those holes would be great! I'm not opposed to drilling these holes myself but hey less chance of me messing up lol

Also great job on this case!

Reactions: Valantar

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

1. Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact (Mini-DTX) will fit (3-Slot GPU Mode) and Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 will both fit. I have done so using SFX Power Supply on LinkUP PICe 4.0 Riser.​

2. Use of low profile straight / regular cables just fine for multiple monitor setups.​

May I ask, what GPU is that exactly? Is it the Strix 3080? If not, is it the same dimensions as said graphics card. Or can someone confirm if it fits inside this or not? Haven't been able to find an answer to this question in this thread with all of it's 60 pages :p

Reactions: chardy52