Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

Feonnor

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2021
@Wahaha360 With all this talk and investigative videos on NZXT's fire issue due to the riser cable, should I/we be worried that something similar might come to be? I mean I'm literally waiting for the case to go online for purchase but I'm scared about a possible fire or ruining of hardware. I live in a country that already has too many loopholes in building certifications and me being an architect trying to solve said issues isn't healthy on my scalp :p
This shouldn't be an issue, GN promted that platet screwholes would solve the issue (the fire problems accurs when srews eat directly into the riser pcb). And looking at the pictures on ssupd.com all riser cables (and attached pcbs) have plated screw holes.

Reactions: rfarmer

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This shouldn't be an issue, GN promted that platet screwholes would solve the issue (the fire problems accurs when srews eat directly into the riser pcb). And looking at the pictures on ssupd.com all riser cables (and attached pcbs) have plated screw holes.
Not only that, but in addition to unplated, ungrounded screw holes the riser essentially needs to be designed in a way that any PCB design software will shout at you for doing - with entirely insufficient clearance between the +12V plane and the screw hole. PCB design software has necessary clearances coded into them, so overriding that needs to be done manually. The issue with the NZXT riser isn't just that it's not plated and grounded properly, but that the +12V plane is separated from the screw hole by a fraction of a mm of PCB and nothing else, close enough that some tension on a screw is enough to cause contact. It's completely baffling how NZXT managed to mess this up so badly, and I would be shocked if any other riser had the same issue.

So, @Lutfij, I really wouldn't worry. There is no reason to expect this level of gross negligence from anyone else.

SimonAdit

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 2, 2021
Regarding the maximum CPU lenght, the ssupd_hq Instagram account indicate that the case support up to 334mm GPU for using 90 degrees offical cables .

Optimum Tech fail to mount GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO which has a dimension of 323 mm, but maybe not have the Gpu mount in its lowest position ?

The manual is talking about 320 mm at the bottom position.

It seems difficult to know until the firsts case be delivered, but if you have more informations on this topic, I am interested.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Wait, how does a new cable change the maximum GPU length unless the mounting holes have also moved?

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
Just got an Email from SSUPD that the 9th of February preorder has the shipping date for 12th of March which definitely sucks, another month of waiting.

EDIT:

And apparently only the black version will be available for the first preorders? Damn.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Ok, dumb question: If the 18 cm cable will probalbly work for the C8I --> Do we even need a separate cable? The included ones (pcie 3 or 4) are 18 cm or am I missing something?

@Wahaha360

Thank you for the pics of a C8I build above...!

A few questions though...

Stock PCIe Gen3 cable:

PCI-E 3.0 Riser Cable features as a 185mm slim, flat and foldable design for better cable management combining elegance with functionality. The design is compatible with PCI-E 3.0 standard, and features a high-frequency and low-resistance PCB design to reduce interference.
  • 185 mm Length
  • Dual reverse connectors
  • Compatible with PCI-E 3.0 standard
  • Vertical mount gaming PCI express
Stock PCIe Gen4 cable:

PCI-E 4.0 Riser Cable is custom fitted by LINKUP. Fully tested and fully compatible with newly released NVIDIA RTX3000 series GPU, AMD RX6000 series GPU and AMD X570 motherboards.
  • 140 mm Length
  • Dual reverse connectors
  • Compatible with PCI-E 4.0 standard
  • Vertical mount gaming PCI express
  • 90 degree angle adapter (I corrected this, says "angel" on website)
Stated length of PCIe Gen4 cable used (in the C8I build) above is 200mm...?

So is there a typo on the length of the PCIe Gen4 cable that is an accessory on the SSUPD website...?

Because if a 185mm long PCIe Gen3 cable just fits with mITX (meaning too short to work with a mDTX mobo), how is a 140mm long PCIe Gen4 cable supposed to fit...?

For use with the alternate GPU position (inverted horizontal) the manual states that an optional 180mm cable is needed, but the chassis comes with a 185mm cable (PCIe Gen3) stock...?

And in light of the issues with the NZXT H1 chassis (fire hazard from the PCIe riser cable?), is there any possibility of this being an issue with the Mesh-Licious chassis...?

Thanks...!

Last edited:
Reactions: Feonnor

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Just got an Email from SSUPD that the 9th of February preorder has the shipping date for 12th of March which definitely sucks, another month of waiting.

EDIT:

And apparently only the black version will be available for the first preorders? Damn.
Lmao, so why even show the white version this early if it won't be in people's hands until May?

I mean, sure, black version looks nice but, damn.

Reactions: futurewau

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Lmao, so why even show the white version this early if it won't be in people's hands until May?

I mean, sure, black version looks nice but, damn.
If I were to guess, I'd say they're having issues with color uniformity on the white version - that seems to be the bane of every single white product ever. Painting different materials with the same white paint results in slightly different colors, so matching requires a lot of trial and error.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
If I were to guess, I'd say they're having issues with color uniformity on the white version - that seems to be the bane of every single white product ever. Painting different materials with the same white paint results in slightly different colors, so matching requires a lot of trial and error.
Yeah I guess so - I got burned by this on the 'E-White' T1 as well.

That said, I think companies shouldn't show or promise stuff like that until they've got it down to a science - the E-White T1 made it all the way to its shipping dates for preorders before it was cancelled for all who ordered it.

Best to err on the side of caution if you don't know if you'll be able to produce a product/color and just save the announcement until you know for sure.

Reactions: DrHudacris

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

That said, I think companies shouldn't show or promise stuff like that until they've got it down to a science - the E-White T1 made it all the way to its shipping dates for preorders before it was cancelled for all who ordered it.

Best to err on the side of caution if you don't know if you'll be able to produce a product/color and just save the announcement until you know for sure.
Seems to be the problem with the Arctic white version of the Ghost S1, seeing a lot of complaints of mismatched colors on different panels.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

White anodization is reportedly even worse than painting - different pigments adhere differently to the porous aluminium surface, and different sized parts need different treatment times to gain the same saturation based on their surface area, the chemicals used, the pigment, the voltage applied, and a host of other factors, so all anodization color matching is tricky, but white is supposedly the worst there too. And matching white anodized aluminium with anything painted? Might as well give up.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
White anodization is reportedly even worse than painting - different pigments adhere differently to the porous aluminium surface, and different sized parts need different treatment times to gain the same saturation based on their surface area, the chemicals used, the pigment, the voltage applied, and a host of other factors, so all anodization color matching is tricky, but white is supposedly the worst there too. And matching white anodized aluminium with anything painted? Might as well give up.
All of this is exactly why they - and others - shouldn't show their case in white unless they are 100% certain they'll be able to satisfy the QC needed for it and fill all of those orders.

I hope things work out regarding the white Meshlicious, but I don't have my hopes up.

paqji

Efficiency Noob
Jan 16, 2020
is there any insight or information on how much the full mesh chassis weighs? I know that the current 1 mesh 1 tempered glass configuration is approx. 3.7kg. i'm trying to slim down to a portable case that i could take out of town on roadtrips, ideally i want the lightest configuration.

bex000

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 1, 2021
is there any insight or information on how much the full mesh chassis weighs? I know that the current 1 mesh 1 tempered glass configuration is approx. 3.7kg. i'm trying to slim down to a portable case that i could take out of town on roadtrips, ideally i want the lightest configuration.
15L might be too big then. How about the 5L case on OT?

illusive

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2021
Tell me about it, every company tend to have issues with the white color-way. But this is just painted metal, it shouldn't be difficult compared to FormD T1's cnc e-white. Anyways, very disappointing to hear this morning as my entire desk/theme is white. I will probably jump on the black version and get the white version later. *sad noises*

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Regarding the maximum CPU lenght, the ssupd_hq Instagram account indicate that the case support up to 334mm GPU for using 90 degrees offical cables .

Optimum Tech fail to mount GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO which has a dimension of 323 mm, but maybe not have the Gpu mount in its lowest position ?

The manual is talking about 320 mm at the bottom position.

It seems difficult to know until the firsts case be delivered, but if you have more informations on this topic, I am interested.

Got hands on with the MSI Suprim X 3080 (326mm long) just now, so the MSI Gaming X Trio 30XX (323mm long), should not be a problem.

The Top Panel will close *without bulging out. I had to use the *lowest install position for GPU. This leaves 33mm of space for HDMI / DP Cables. and that is not enough for straight cables, so we have 2 solutions coming:
1) we will provide 3D Print Ready tall feet design on the website very soon, these feet will lift the case higher off the ground to make room for *regular / straight HDMI / DP Cables.
2) buy angled cables yourself or from our website.

If used with a GPU less than 320mm long, you can mount the GPU at the *second lowest position, and not have to worry about the above - just use low profile cables that are widely available.