Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

wafer

Efficiency Noob
Jan 26, 2021
CPU cooler clearance is not great in this case for air-cooling. Depending on the CPU, it's likely to run loud and hot.

A cheap AIO would cost only £10-40 more than NH-L12s + 2x 140mm intake fans but greatly outperform any low-profile air-cooler. The highest-performing AIO, LFII would cost about the same though we don't know yet if it actually fits (it's a few mm too thick according to specs).
gotcha. I'm always terrified of worst case scenarios like a leak sprining, air entering the pump, or aio liquid loss, but I guess I'll just have to face my fears if I want to truly sff. Hopefully the preorder situation for this thing isn't a nightmare so I can actually secure one

Reactions: DrHudacris

Navic

Master of Cramming
Jan 6, 2019
gotcha. I'm always terrified of worst case scenarios like a leak sprining, air entering the pump, or aio liquid loss, but I guess I'll just have to face my fears if I want to truly sff. Hopefully the preorder situation for this thing isn't a nightmare so I can actually secure one
If it helps at all, leaks are super rare if you handle the AIO properly and don't put pressure on the fittings (no holding the radiator from the pump block sort of thing), air entering the pump is super easy to avoid and fix (don't have the pump at the top of the loop, this video can help explain it), and liquid loss is super slow, the tubes have a lining to prevent permeation (which is where the liquid seeps into the tubing, causing the liquid level to drop) and not really a thing to worry about as long as you don't have the pump at the top of the loop.

As long as you get a high quality AIO from a reputable manufacturer, you don't really have to worry.

Last edited:

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
AIO are extremely reliable, the last horror story was the enermax TR4 coolers and they just stopped working rather than spewing their guts over the rest of the PC

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
If it helps at all, leaks are super rare if you handle the AIO properly and don't put pressure on the fittings (no holding the radiator from the pump block sort of thing), air entering the pump is super easy to avoid and fix (don't have the pump at the top of the loop, this video can help explain it), and liquid loss is super slow, the tubes have a lining to prevent permeation (which is where the liquid seeps into the tubing, causing the liquid level to drop) and not really a thing to worry about as long as you don't have the pump at the top of the loop.
Jay did a clarification video which better explains the risks (IMHO)

Reactions: rfarmer

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
I've seen but never actually watched that video, I just assumed it was exactly what Steve said, but that's actually a really good recap of Steve's video with some good demos.
Yeah that was exactly the same process that I went through tbh!

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
I’m assuming since it’s only 140mm it’s for longer GPU and not the short cards mounted at the top ? Since the 3.0 riser is 185mm ??

I guess they went with a custom Length for the 4.0 riser as I don’t see that length on linkups website ?
I just noticed that the manual says "18cm riser cable not included", so the included 3.0 riser is also 140mm.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020

Check Mesh-Licious results, pretty impressive. Results at 5:50.
Pretty much what I expected, airflow design is great in this case. Not sure if he tested with TG on the GPU or on the CPU side though. With a mesh panel on the GPU side, it should be able to match NR200 in GPU thermals.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Has anyone any thoughts on how you'd put 2 rads in this bad boy?
I'm going to laser-cut a side radiator bracket from 1mm sheet metal. With a short GPU block like for 30xx FE or RE there should be enough space left for airflow.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
AIO are extremely reliable, the last horror story was the enermax TR4 coolers and they just stopped working rather than spewing their guts over the rest of the PC
Those were fun! There was one in my partner's video editing rig. Have to say the thermal controls of even 1st gen TR are really impressive - it chugged along surprisingly well at ... I want to say 600MHz across all 12 cores with zero water circulation and temps in the mid 90s. Water block and first 5cm of tubing were really hot, while the fans were going crazy but doing nothing. RMAed that piece of junk and got an NH-U14s-TR4 just because there were no other TR4 AIO options at the time (Asetek with adapters don't count).

But yeah, beyond that travesty, AIOs are known for being extremely reliable. Pumps die from time to time, but that takes years, and leaks are almost unheard of.

sorokyl

Chassis Packer
Dec 29, 2020
I'm going to laser-cut a side radiator bracket from 1mm sheet metal. With a short GPU block like for 30xx FE or RE there should be enough space left for airflow.
but how does the thickness of the radiator fit?? Assuming you do low profile fans and a 30mm rad, that's 45mm.
The Meshlicious supports 60mm thick GPU, and the EK 3080 FE is 29mm thick.

I really don't think a second radiator is that necessary. Ali got close with a single 240 in T1 with his 3090, 5950. Assume a more modest 5900, 3080, and 36% more radiator surface area (and more powerful 140mm fans), and it should be fine.

Of course, some people will try to take it to the extreme and fit as much rad in as possible, just not sure how the thickness fits with your plan

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
but how does the thickness of the radiator fit?? Assuming you do low profile fans and a 30mm rad, that's 45mm.
The Meshlicious supports 60mm thick GPU, and the EK 3080 FE is 29mm thick.
You must've forgotten that this case has a movable spine. In 4-slot mode it's possible to fit full-size fans if you use a slim GPU block like Bykski FE or Corsair FE. My build should have ~6mm distance between the GPU block and radiator core, and enough space around the block for mostly unrestricted airflow.

I really don't think a second radiator is that necessary. Ali got close with a single 240 in T1 with his 3090, 5950. Assume a more modest 5900, 3080, and 36% more radiator surface area (and more powerful 140mm fans), and it should be fine.
I know that the second radiator might be unnecessary considering GTS 280's cooling capacity but it's still worth trying, for science 😃 If that doesn't work out I can always put a flat reservoir above the GPU.

sorokyl

Chassis Packer
Dec 29, 2020
You must've forgotten that this case has a movable spine. In 4-slot mode it's possible to fit full-size fans if you use a slim GPU block like Bykski FE or Corsair FE. My build should have ~6mm distance between the GPU block and radiator core, and enough space around the block for mostly unrestricted airflow.

I know that the second radiator might be unnecessary considering GTS 280's cooling capacity but it's still worth trying, for science 😃 If that doesn't work out I can always put a flat reservoir above the GPU.
I didn't forget, I just assumed the 60mm thickness quoted was 4 slot mode, but it looks like pcie slots are 20mm each so total you have 80mm max.
3080 FE minimum thickness is 25mm (due to the 12 pin connector). The EK block is 29. not sure about Corsair or Byski. I'll assume they are as thin as possible
80-25-25-30=0 .. i dunno where those 6mm are coming from, but I am not convinced that would be enough space for airflow anyway. But good luck with it! would be fun to see.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I didn't forget, I just assumed the 60mm thickness quoted was 4 slot mode, but it looks like pcie slots are 20mm each so total you have 80mm max.
3080 FE minimum thickness is 25mm (due to the 12 pin connector). The EK block is 29. not sure about Corsair or Byski. I'll assume they are as thin as possible
80-25-25-30=0 .. i dunno where those 6mm are coming from, but I am not convinced that would be enough space for airflow anyway. But good luck with it! would be fun to see.
Well first you used slim fans, now you use full size fans in your calculations.

29mm includes the backplate on the EK block anyway.

If using a standard 30mm rad with slim fan leaves 10mm+ space. Using thin 20mm rad and standard fans will leave the same. And of course using thin rad and slim fans will leave about 20mm breathing space.

Many builders in this thread have run dual rad build in the FormD T1 which has at most 3 slot clearance. So getting an extra 20mm to play with probably has them going *hhnnngghh* already.