Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

MaZo

Average Stuffer
Dec 6, 2020
I mean if you don't like Linkup then choosing between 3M and Louqe the former seems like a better option. I haven't seen any performance comparisons of 3M vs no riser though.
Could also go for the 4.0 version of the ADT riser the T1 comes with. Can be found on AliExpress already.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Here's a question: the max radiator thickness is 62mm. Using my current 38mm EK 240PE and 25mm fans (63mm total thickness without modding anything) what will it be colliding with? The spine? Motherboard? PSU? Something else? Am I also right in thinking that the lower part of the case can support significantly thicker combinations than that (if using an SFX PSU, of course, and a GPU that isn't massively tall), given that the spine is much smaller towards the bottom?
I think, >62mm combined rad+fan thickness will collide with the spine.

And, you are right to think that the lower part could support thicker rad+fan combination. Eg you might have a 62mm thick 140 rad+fan in the upper part and then a 85mm thick 140 rad (60mm rad + 25mm fan) in the lower part. But some mod will have to be made (eg mounting holes for the fan)

Reactions: Kit and Valantar

John Warosa

Cable Smoosher
Dec 29, 2020
Guys, are there news on the release date? Recently SSUPD sent me an email, I think it's getting closer.
What's the best place to get the news as soon as possible?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I think, >62mm combined rad+fan thickness will collide with the spine.

And, you are right to think that the lower part could support thicker rad+fan combination. Eg you might have a 62mm thick 140 rad+fan in the upper part and then a 85mm thick 140 rad (60mm rad + 25mm fan) in the lower part. But some mod will have to be made (eg mounting holes for the fan)
Going by this, I'm considering just taking the spine out and sanding/filing down the interfering part by a mm or two. Shouldn't be too big of a job. I'm also wondering if using a 240mm rad rather than a 280 might net me some extra space, as the adapter brackets mount to the 140mm fan mounts - i.e. if I mount the adapter on the outside of the fan mount, I would gain room equivalent to the thickness of the fan mount at least.

Reactions: DrHudacris

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Going by this, I'm considering just taking the spine out and sanding/filing down the interfering part by a mm or two. Shouldn't be too big of a job. I'm also wondering if using a 240mm rad rather than a 280 might net me some extra space, as the adapter brackets mount to the 140mm fan mounts - i.e. if I mount the adapter on the outside of the fan mount, I would gain room equivalent to the thickness of the fan mount at least.

An other option would be to mod the radiator a bit by removing the tabs with fan screw holes and finding a different way to mount the fan to it. This way, they fan would be recessed into the radiator by a couple mm's.

You may even mod the fan by filing the screw holes down a bit to have the have them recess into the radiator. It may feel better to mod the cheapest component? :p

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
An other option would be to mod the radiator a bit by removing the tabs with fan screw holes and finding a different way to mount the fan to it. This way, they fan would be recessed into the radiator by a couple mm's.

You may even mod the fan by filing the screw holes down a bit to have the have them recess into the radiator. It may feel better to mod the cheapest component? :p
I considered that, however moving the fan closer to the radiator seems like it would affect performance - the gap between the fan mount and the fins allows airflow to distribute across more of the fins (areas covered by the fan hub or corners) so moving the fan closer will likely cause air to be pushed through only the fins directly in front of the fan blades. I have no idea if the effect of this is particularly significant, but the area not covered by fan blades is rather large, at least, so I'd prefer to leave a bit of a gap there. I guess I'll figure it out when I get the case.

Reactions: DrHudacris

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
Someone on reddit got this reply:

I asked SSUPD and they replied with this: “The GPU mounting can move up and down vertically to leave room for normal DP and HDMI cables. If you stick to a GPU less than 313mm tall, you should have room for *non-90 degree cables”

Reactions: illusive

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This has been discussed at length earlier in the thread, IIRC the max clearance beneath the GPU I/O (after adjusting the mount) is 46mm, which can be sufficient for some display connectors, but not the most common DP plugs. It will depend entirely on the size of the connector on your cable. If you use DP and your connector has a latching mechanism, it's 99% sure it won't fit even in this configuration. Some of my HDMI connectors would fit, others not. My DP isn't even close.

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
This has been discussed at length earlier in the thread, IIRC the max clearance beneath the GPU I/O (after adjusting the mount) is 46mm, which can be sufficient for some display connectors, but not the most common DP plugs. It will depend entirely on the size of the connector on your cable. If you use DP and your connector has a latching mechanism, it's 99% sure it won't fit even in this configuration. Some of my HDMI connectors would fit, others not. My DP isn't even close.
Disappointing, was hoping the FE 3080 would allow me to have the regular cables.

sorokyl

Chassis Packer
Dec 29, 2020
what's the big deal, just use a adapter/extension. It's a digital signal, you're not going to have loss of quality or anything. honestly I think having a 6-12inch extension is preferred as I can disconnect the monitor without having to open the case / fish the wire out / mess with any cable management there.

Reactions: Van0

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
How is it...? Noise (pump, fans), temps, etc. ...? Looking at the Pure Loop 280 AIO & the 280 EK-AIO...
I never notice the pump over the sound of my fans and even the HDD in my case. Temps are nice. I think my 4770k stays about 78C when fully loaded and it's OC'd to about 4.4Ghz. Alas my mobo + CPU combo is old so it's limited in the latitude for temp management.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
what's the big deal, just use a adapter/extension. It's a digital signal, you're not going to have loss of quality or anything. honestly I think having a 6-12inch extension is preferred as I can disconnect the monitor without having to open the case / fish the wire out / mess with any cable management there.
As long as the adapter is of sufficient quality. High bandwidth data transfers often fail outright when extensions or adapters are inserted into the signal chain - just look at the PCIe 3.0 v. 4.0 riser discussion here. As long as the adapter and cable are all rated for the required speed it should be fine though, but one still needs to note the maximum cable length and connector number specs for the connection standard.

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Well that’s a relief then as the 3080 I chose is only 285.37mm, shouldn’t need any of the angled adaptors then!

it’s honestly crazy how massive some of these coolers are getting and some of them for no reason other then to “look cool”

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Well that’s a relief then as the 3080 I chose is only 285.37mm, shouldn’t need any of the angled adaptors then!

it’s honestly crazy how massive some of these coolers are getting and some of them for no reason other then to “look cool”
Can barely find any good 2-slot coolers too

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Can barely find any good 2-slot coolers too
A 2-slot cooler for a 320+W GPU isn't going to be particularly fun, even if it's a long triple-fan cooler. You gain a lot of surface area by adding even 5mm to the thickness of the heatsink.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
A 2-slot cooler for a 320+W GPU isn't going to be particularly fun, even if it's a long triple-fan cooler. You gain a lot of surface area by adding even 5mm to the thickness of the heatsink.
yeah my case probably can't fir more than a 2-slot and that's another big motivation for me to get this case. But I'm also gonna be getting a 3070/3060Ti so I don't need as beastly of a cooler there. But those cards also have a lot of thicc coolers. It's why I decided not to buy any GPU till I get the SSUPD case anyhow.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
yeah my case probably can't fir more than a 2-slot and that's another big motivation for me to get this case. But I'm also gonna be getting a 3070/3060Ti so I don't need as beastly of a cooler there. But those cards also have a lot of thicc coolers. It's why I decided not to buy any GPU till I get the SSUPD case anyhow.
There have been some 2-slot 3060 Tis showing up recently - most initial designs seemed to be just 3070 coolers and PCBs with the further cut down die, while these new ones seem more made to fit the needs of the 3060 Ti specifically.