Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

kiehl

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2020
is there a cheaper riser 4.0 for SSUPD ? actually, all recommended risers are £80+? the problem I am facing is - I had to go back to RX5700xt as my 3080 is faulty. I have changed to 3.0 in bios but is still not working at the moment using a 4.0 riser from Dan a4 that's not fitting correctly the case.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
is there a cheaper riser 4.0 for SSUPD ? actually, all recommended risers are £80+? the problem I am facing is - I had to go back to RX5700xt as my 3080 is faulty. I have changed to 3.0 in bios but is still not working at the moment using a 4.0 riser from Dan a4 that's not fitting correctly the case.
All 4.0 risers are currently quite expensive - they're difficult to produce compared to 3.0 risers, and there aren't many of them, so prices are likely to stay high until more options arrive and there's some real competition. Thermaltake just launched some, but those are >$100.
Did someone try to mount this EK pump res combo directly to the radiator port in front of the PSU? From my measurements it could actually fit. (3 Slot GPU mode)

I've seen at least one build placing a pump-res combo like that (no idea if the same or just similar) in that exact spot. Seems like a good way of making your build an absolute nightmare to put together IMO, as plugging in PSU cables (and thus doing cable management in a sane way) will be incredibly difficult with it in place.

jives

Cable Smoosher
Apr 16, 2021
Did someone try to mount this EK pump res combo directly to the radiator port in front of the PSU? From my measurements it could actually fit. (3 Slot GPU mode)

While the pump should fit, are you sure you can line up the pump and rad ports?
Another problem would be the PSU cables, you'd probably somehow have to route them around the pump onto the GPU side and then back to the 24pin connector.

asdfgdfgdfsg

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 8, 2021
Another problem would be the PSU cables, you'd probably somehow have to route them around the pump onto the GPU side and then back to the 24pin connector.
Yes lineup would be the central problem. For cables i could use j Hack M2426 and non sleeved cables. They are already on my wish list for a long time.

asdfgdfgdfsg

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 8, 2021
Yes lineup would be the central problem. For cables i could use j Hack M2426 and non sleeved cables. They are already on my wish list for a long time.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020

Do you intend to use slim fans or <=25mm thick radiator? That's the only way to fit EK TBE pump/res combo in there.
245mm - 114mm (PSU with connectors) - 5mm (frame and front panel) = 126mm <- how much space you can work with for radiator, fans, pump/res combo and wires from the PSU.

Reactions: Valantar

Timeless

Caliper Novice
Jul 1, 2021
performance is not great to say the least. he's already tested it in previous videos
Even when comparing it to 120mm radiators with standalone pump?
This aio with 120mm + 280mm radiator vs barrow cpu block res combo + 280mm radiator, which one do you think has better thermal performance?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Even when comparing it to 120mm radiators with standalone pump?
This aio with 120mm + 280mm radiator vs barrow cpu block res combo + 280mm radiator, which one do you think has better thermal performance?
it gets beaten by even the L12S. 120 AIO is out of question

Barrow CPU pump-block with 280mm radiator for sure has better thermal performance. It's very unlikely that you're gonna 100% stress BOTH CPU & GPU at the same time to overwhelm the total thermal capacity of the loop

Timeless

Caliper Novice
Jul 1, 2021
Why do you need than two fans? That's a feature, not a bug.
According to Optimum Tech's review the lack of fans holds back the case's thermal performance. When he changed from AIO to custom cooling the meshlicious beats the m1. So, I think adding one more fan would help thermal performance a bit.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for the answer! That AIO seemed to be perfect for the meshlicious since you are stuck with only 2 fans without modding the case. ☹️
this is one of those just for fun / science kind of deal. Unless you go out of your way to design and manufacture the best cold plate possible, and use a much better radiator than these Hanjiang 17mm thick - maybe TX120 for example.

Why do you need than two fans? That's a feature, not a bug.
I've seen so many people cramming all sorts of fans 40/60/92mm into the case LOL

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
it gets beaten by even the L12S. 120 AIO is out of question

Barrow CPU pump-block with 280mm radiator for sure has better thermal performance. It's very unlikely that you're gonna 100% stress BOTH CPU & GPU at the same time to overwhelm the total thermal capacity of the loop
Seems like the version used in the Meshlicious is an updated one though, using an Alphacool rad rather than the previous (17mm?) no-name one. Guess that might make it perform better? Still, the only real use I see for something like this would be if it allowed for connecting (either in series or parallel) with another radiator. And, of course, just how ridiculously cool it is even if it's rather impractical.
According to Optimum Tech's review the lack of fans holds back the case's thermal performance. When he changed from AIO to custom cooling the meshlicious beats the m1. So, I think adding one more fan would help thermal performance a bit.
...but the OT "custom cooling" (i.e. a custom water loop) still only has two fans. So that comment is more about sub-par AIOs/AIO fans and issues with feeding AIO-heated air into your GPU than anything else.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Seems like the version used in the Meshlicious is an updated one though, using an Alphacool rad rather than the previous (17mm?) no-name one. Guess that might make it perform better? Still, the only real use I see for something like this would be if it allowed for connecting (either in series or parallel) with another radiator. And, of course, just how ridiculously cool it is even if it's rather impractical.
yeah you're right, I did not pay close attention to it. With Alphacool rad it might beat the L12S actually, though still behind standard 120 AIO due to body of coolant and full-size fan. I still think this is purely comes about because the guy CAN do it. If this was meant for a case with limited cooler clearance, it needs to beat air coolers by a lot to justify the cost and hassle of watercooling so that's out of the window.

EK just comes out with a 'bridge' between CPU block and VRM block for the Crosshair VIII Formula - there's a new plug-and-play locking mechanism which I think would be cool to apply this AIO to connect to additional radiator as in your suggest scenario,

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
yeah you're right, I did not pay close attention to it. With Alphacool rad it might beat the L12S actually, though still behind standard 120 AIO due to body of coolant and full-size fan. I still think this is purely comes about because the guy CAN do it. If this was meant for a case with limited cooler clearance, it needs to beat air coolers by a lot to justify the cost and hassle of watercooling so that's out of the window.

EK just comes out with a 'bridge' between CPU block and VRM block for the Crosshair VIII Formula - there's a new plug-and-play locking mechanism which I think would be cool to apply this AIO to connect to additional radiator as in your suggest scenario,
Did you see the height of that bridge though? It's massive :eek:

After watching the build video fully btw, I just got rather annoyed at that build. For some reason he needs slim fans on his (slim, no more than 30mm) front rad, while I'm able to fit 28mm fans. So he's sacrificing a lot of performance for ... aesthetics? Leaving a gap? That GPU has a tall terminal block, but I think at least 25mm fans would fit. Secondly, that cover plate between the rad and PSU will kill airflow for the bottom front fan. Man, that really got me riled up. Why? And lastly, with a custom bracket and some fancy tubing/fittings he'd probably be able to fit the same fan+rad above the motherboard with a regular CPU block, drastically improving airflow as the fan would be much less restricted. And it could just be a single loop with both rads in it if set up like that, eliminating a pump. Seems so needlessly complicated with no real benefit. No thanks.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Bigger cases need more fans to keep the air moving. Smaller cases like the meshlicious have a shorter airflow path so having just 2 front fans is usually enough. The other issue is modern GPUs keep pushing their TGP to crazy heights like 350-400W and dumping a whole load of hot air into the case while also just attaching absurdly massive cooling solutions like the XFX Merc 319 card or the 4-slot Aorus Master/Extreme cards. Its one of the biggest reasons I'm looking to do a custom loop once I manage to actually get an AMD card myself.