Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
They said its not a lian li case
Nobody has said it is. That doesn't stop them from using Lian Li's distribution network - LL just likely acts as an intermediary in the process in terms of getting distributors on board etc. Given how conservative distributors tend to be it's no mean feat to get them to agree to distribution of such a niche case at all - they'd much rather distribute yet another yawn-worthy high margin rgb-laden mid-tower, because they "know it will sell" (even if the reality is that distributors constantly make bad bets on "safe" products).

That being said, all volume from the first two batches is no doubt already sold to various distributors. To free up some of that for direct sales (disregarding whether that might be contrary to the terms of the distribution contracts, most of which no doubt contain some sort of "don't screw us over by going around us and selling the product yourself to our region") they would need to be 100% sure they could make up that volume in production before the ship date for that batch, which I'm guessing would require it to have been planned months ago. Factories are not set up for rapid change, and running a new batch of a case that isn't even on the market yet is likely not high up their list of priorities. They also no doubt need to produce a pretty significant amount for another batch to be feasible, potentially leaving them with inventory sitting unsold - another thing a new business really should avoid. Unsold inventory is lost money (interest on the loans needed to pay for materials, parts, labor and production) after all. The longer it sits, the more expensive it gets, and the more unlikely the prospect of mass-market premium SFF cases becomes. Waiting it out is a much better long term strategy.

As for booking a new ship, remember that there are huge global shipping delays these days. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead time on any shop freight at all is several months at the least. There's definitely no way they can just go out and book room for a new container on a ship in any given date. (There's also a global shipping container shortage, just to make this extra fun.)

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Nobody has said it is. That doesn't stop them from using Lian Li's distribution network - LL just likely acts as an intermediary in the process in terms of getting distributors on board etc. Given how conservative distributors tend to be it's no mean feat to get them to agree to distribution of such a niche case at all - they'd much rather distribute yet another yawn-worthy high margin rgb-laden mid-tower, because they "know it will sell" (even if the reality is that distributors constantly make bad bets on "safe" products).

That being said, all volume from the first two batches is no doubt already sold to various distributors. To free up some of that for direct sales (disregarding whether that might be contrary to the terms of the distribution contracts, most of which no doubt contain some sort of "don't screw us over by going around us and selling the product yourself to our region") they would need to be 100% sure they could make up that volume in production before the ship date for that batch, which I'm guessing would require it to have been planned months ago. Factories are not set up for rapid change, and running a new batch of a case that isn't even on the market yet is likely not high up their list of priorities. They also no doubt need to produce a pretty significant amount for another batch to be feasible, potentially leaving them with inventory sitting unsold - another thing a new business really should avoid. Unsold inventory is lost money (interest on the loans needed to pay for materials, parts, labor and production) after all. The longer it sits, the more expensive it gets, and the more unlikely the prospect of mass-market premium SFF cases becomes. Waiting it out is a much better long term strategy.

As for booking a new ship, remember that there are huge global shipping delays these days. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead time on any shop freight at all is several months at the least. There's definitely no way they can just go out and book room for a new container on a ship in any given date. (There's also a global shipping container shortage, just to make this extra fun.)

Despite all of this - they may be going direct anyway - though I've also shot them a message after seeing this to check.

(INB4 "My Uncle Works At Nintendo")

EscHatch

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 1, 2020
Here's what was told from Iceman.

1. The external reservoir/pump combo shown on page 1 is going to be released sometime in May.
2. They are currently working on an internal reservoir/pump combo.

I stopped there as I figure we'll see the product fairly soon. Questions can wait till we see the final products.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like Ali at Optimum Tech has one. I wonder why he didn’t use it in his custom loop.

Regardless, I’m excited for this product. I hope to use one in my build.

Stargazer

Trash Compacter
Jan 2, 2020
Despite all of this - they may be going direct anyway - though I've also shot them a message after seeing this to check.

“We are preparing the international shipping, so it is not yet available. But it will.”

This is what they replied to my e-mail.

Van0

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 29, 2019
Thanks for the info! Sounds like Ali at Optimum Tech has one. I wonder why he didn’t use it in his custom loop.

Regardless, I’m excited for this product. I hope to use one in my build.

Ali basically said that it wasn't worth the effort of stripping his main build to build again in the Meshliscious but if he were to choose a case to build in from scratch, he'd choose it over the NCase

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

If I were to guess, I would say that means they've been spending the past couple of months working on making this happen, but obviously haven't been able to say so (anyone with half a brain knows to never even hint at a promise you can't keep on the internet). Navigating contracts, ensuring timely stock, getting delivery options in place, etc., etc.

EscHatch

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 1, 2020
Ali basically said that it wasn't worth the effort of stripping his main build to build again in the Meshliscious but if he were to choose a case to build in from scratch, he'd choose it over the NCase
I got that. I meant the iceman pump res for the meshalicious if he has one already.

Netherspark

Chassis Packer
Jul 18, 2020
I'm a little concerned about noise escaping through the mesh, compared to say a 3mm Aluminium case. Granted the Meshlicious only uses two fans, as opposed to 4-6 in a lot of SFF cases, but do you think there'll be a noticeable difference in noise levels?

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I'm a little concerned about noise escaping through the mesh, compared to say a 3mm Aluminium case. Granted the Meshlicious only uses two fans, as opposed to 4-6 in a lot of SFF cases, but do you think there'll be a noticeable difference in noise levels?
I think it'll be fine, depending on your fan speed and positive/negative pressure setup. (See chart in orange on right.)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The mesh should allow for much better airflow than vented aluminium panels, so you should be able to run your fans considerably slower. Vented platemetal is typically very restrictive for fans, significantly hurting airflow and forcing higher fan speeds. The noise dampening efficacy of metal plating is also near zero - you need heavy, soft, vibration-absorbing materials for that (acoustic foam, asphalt sheeting, etc.).

YdderMkIV

Chassis Packer
Mar 10, 2020
you guys should just chill. grab an NR200 or something cheap as a placeholder for a while LOL.

to put in some perspective, this delay is nothing close to what people have been waiting for the Mjolnir
I have my build in my old case while I wait and I'm still getting super frustrated with all this.

I'd feel better about it if they did something more than throw up a cheap-looking, barely detailed timeline with vague dates each time too.

Heck, even Glorious - not my favorite company - has been super transparent with any/all delays on their new GMMK Pro keyboard kits.

If only SSUPD could be even half as transparent with what they're doing about this...

Saying "Hey, at least it's not as bad as the Mjolnir" is not a high bar to clear - and we're not even sure we've cleared it yet.

Don't compare it to Mjolnir. Meshlicious comes partially from Lian Li, a pretty big and experienced company that should certainly do a better job with a new release.

This is nowhere near as bad as the Mjolnir. The distribution channel stuff is definitely poor on their part, but at the end of the day, the cases have been manufactured loaded and shipped. They're now just stuck on a boat, which is tough, but not much anyone can do about it.

On the other hand, Mjolnirs still haven't finished production (every month since last August it's been "Almost There!"). Also literally nobody has ever seen them or reviewed them outside of OptimumTech and RandomFrankP.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
So still no official mention of when we might expect availability or even pre-orders in the EU?

Getting quite close to giving up on waiting and just ordering an SV540, please don't do this to my wallet SSUPD... 😓

• Sad
Reactions: futurewau

203Null

Trash Compacter
Feb 16, 2021
Is ATX PSU with TG on the CPU side a good idea? My 650w SFX PSU is quite underpowered for my build so I might just use my ATX PSU instead. It looks a lot better compared to SFX PSU too.

From the official manual and all the information I saw, I can't properly determine how much clearance it is for ATX PSU to breathe.

kersk

Cable Smoosher
Jan 22, 2021
So still no official mention of when we might expect availability or even pre-orders in the EU?

Getting quite close to giving up on waiting and just ordering an SV540, please don't do this to my wallet SSUPD... 😓

I actually had an SV590 in-hand (after waiting through many delays there as well), but once I received it unfortunately I wasn't too happy with the build quality/layout/feel of the case and ultimately returned it in favor of the Meshlicious. I'm just going to wait it out at this point... I've got the system running on a cheapo $35 open bench "case" behind my monitor for now.

I do wish SSUPD had offered direct shipping for +$$$. I would have happily paid for that.

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Well I’m happy I picked up a cheap h200 , I don’t even care about this wait as my 3080 preorder hasn’t even full filled yet , sadly I have to give back the 3060ti to my friend in the coming week so now gaming pc for me till I find a gpu to hold me over

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Is ATX PSU with TG on the CPU side a good idea? My 650w SFX PSU is quite underpowered for my build so I might just use my ATX PSU instead. It looks a lot better compared to SFX PSU too.

From the official manual and all the information I saw, I can't properly determine how much clearance it is for ATX PSU to breathe.
Are you running an 11900k with 3090? Optimum Tech had no issues with a 3080 and a 5900x on an SF600 IIRC.