Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

Feonnor

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2021
@Boil: I'm still undecided if I should get a C8I for this case. My top concern: There ist only 72mm space for CPU-coolers (in 3 slot GPU-mode), but the SO.DIMM 2 Card is aprox 82mm (measured from PCB). So the additional card can't be installed or am I missing something?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@Boil: I'm still undecided if I should get a C8I for this case. My top concern: There ist only 72mm space for CPU-coolers (in 3 slot GPU-mode), but the SO.DIMM 2 Card is aprox 82mm (measured from PCB). So the additional card can't be installed or am I missing something?
Is there any real reason to go for the C8I over the excellent B550 options out there (all of which have 2 m.2 slots save for the budget Asrock)? I mean, unless you're planning on LN2 OCing with it, I don't see what it has to offer over anything else. Certainly not for that kind of price premium.

Reactions: biopunk

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I have a C8I in the mail, and 3M PCIe 4.0 *compatible riser as well, so I will take photos just for you when I get both, current ETA end of month.

Good deal, TY; I will look forward to the results...!

How nice!👍
@Boil, now bow down and pay homage to the man👏

I choose no to any cult-like devotion...?

All gone over in, like, the last ten pages or so; maybe more, maybe less...?

A small mod might be required 😂

Now that is just straight fear mongering...! ;^p

And I would be afraid to do it...?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Measured from CPU socket, cooler height of 72mm is 80mm from PCB. So pretty close already 😉

Feonnor

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2021
In regard of Ryzen 5000 there are some limitations (in my perspective):
All X570 ITX boards : No USB-C internal header
Asus B550I Strix : Theres an issue with cpu boost-clocks (watch: an the comments from OT below that video)
MSI B550I Gaming Edge : See above
Asrock B550I Phantom Gaming : right angled Sata-Ports (no go for some ITX Cases)
Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX : Again no USB-C internal header for front IO, slow BIOS releases (nevertheless would be second choice)

The CI8 ticks all these boxes...

Concerning Meshlicious: Is it possible to swap the front IO (like Ncase M1), perhaps with something 3D printed ?

Reactions: Timothy

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
In regard of Ryzen 5000 there are some limitations (in my perspective):
All X570 ITX boards : No USB-C internal header
Asus B550I Strix : Theres an issue with cpu boost-clocks (watch: an the comments from OT below that video)
MSI B550I Gaming Edge : See above
Asrock B550I Phantom Gaming : right angled Sata-Ports (no go for some ITX Cases)
Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX : Again no USB-C internal header for front IO, slow BIOS releases (nevertheless would be second choice)

The CI8 ticks all these boxes...

Concerning Meshlicious: Is it possible to swap the front IO (like Ncase M1), perhaps with something 3D printed ?
Wasn't the boost clock issue fixed with bios updates and ticking a setting in the BIOS for performance or something? I don't have the post infront of me but I was advised on reddit that it solved the issues with this.

In other news, good to hear that theres a PCIE 4.0 sku in development - if only to avoid reset issues with bios updates.

Feonnor

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2021
Wasn't the boost clock issue fixed with bios updates and ticking a setting in the BIOS for performance or something? I don't have the post infront of me but I was advised on reddit that it solved the issues with this.

Hm, I didn't come across a solution in my ongoing "investigation" which MB to choose till now. It would be wonderful, if you could recall the post.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Hm, I didn't come across a solution in my ongoing "investigation" which MB to choose till now. It would be wonderful, if you could recall the post.
From a quick look at my replies on reddit I found these: 1, 2.

Seems it's the 'ASUS performance enhancement' setting under the ai tweaker menu in the BIOS that needs to be checked to fix boost clock issues on the B550-I with Zen 3.

Reactions: DrHudacris

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
From a quick look at my replies on reddit I found these: 1, 2.

Seems it's the 'ASUS performance enhancement' setting under the ai tweaker menu in the BIOS that needs to be checked to fix boost clock issues on the B550-I with Zen 3.
Yep, with Performance Enhancer: Level 2 all-core boost on my 5900X is 4.4GHz, without - 4.1GHz. Single-core max is the same.
One problem though is that with all cores @ 4.4GHz the CPU quickly reaches the maximum 90℃ and throttles. I really need a better block than Aquanaut 😞

These settings also seem to help to improve the scores in Cinebench R20 a bit:
Ai Tweaker\DIGI+ VRM:
  • VDDCR CPU Power Phase Control = Optimized or Extreme
  • VDDCR SOC Power Phase Control = Optimized or Extreme

Last edited:

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Welp ive almost got everything I need for my build, just waiting on my gpu preorder, cooler, and the case preorder next month!

EKWB needs to hurry up and launch the EK-AIO 280 D-RGB in NA otherwise I might just settle for the NZXT Z63 or X63.. I really want the EK tho!

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Shame that even the PCIE 4.0 option that's delayed now is still only the 'compatible' one that fulfills only one of the roles of the riser. (Bios Stability, not performance)

Wonder if the Loque Riser would work in the Meshlicious? I hear that one doesn't have issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
Shame that even the PCIE 4.0 option that's delayed now is still only the 'compatible' one that fulfills only one of the roles of the riser.

Wonder if the Loque Riser would work in the Meshlicious? I hear that one doesn't have issues.

I mean I guess it might in the standard sandwich layout but it has to be folded in order to run full length gpu which common sense is going to dictate that it will make the cable more difficult to manufacture to spec and is not a like for like with the Loque

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I mean I guess it might in the standard sandwich layout but it has to be folded in order to run full length gpu which common sense is going to dictate that it will make the cable more difficult to manufacture to spec and is not a like for like with the Loque
Yeah, this is why I'm wondering about it - I don't think I've seen measurements posted anywhere for the riser, so I'm not sure if it'd play nice with the required 45 degree bend or not.

Nevermind, the Loque Riser is 260mm and the Meshlicious is 185mm - seems like there'd be a lot of slack to deal with, if it even managed things due to the bend.

Last edited:

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
I do not think anyone would 'recommend' anything pushing warm air against the main board.
Whether it will cause actual problem, this has yet to be seen as there are just not many actual reports floating around in the net, AFAIK.
As the warm air is exhausted toward the back of the main board, the chief victim would be the rear M.2 SSD. Extensive gaming session would very likely affect other components (including the graphics card itself) to a certain degree as well.

The real issue is that many (not all) AIB 3080s (with tri-fan design) also has the 3rd fan doing this type of pass-through airflow. But, the FE is the worst as more than half of the heat (vs less than 1/3 in AIB's) will be pushed against the mainboard.
Why do they advertise it with the FE 3080 in it then...

futurewau

Average Stuffer
Sep 20, 2019
Go read my replies a page back, all you need to do is add some 20mm standoffs to the riser bracket to move it out a slot.

This has been tested with the FormD T1, and works really well.
I never did sth like that, is it easy to do? I always thought standoffs are manufactured IN the case itself and cant be switched (thats how it is with the NR200).