Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

tokes808

Average Stuffer
Aug 24, 2020
Lian Li is selling a PCIE 4.0 riser kit for it's new o11-dynamic mini case. Hopefully we see an optional gen 4 riser cable sold as an accessory for the mesh-licious most likely at a premium price.

Reactions: DrHudacris

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Lian Li is selling a PCIE 4.0 riser kit for it's new o11-dynamic mini case. Hopefully we see an optional gen 4 riser cable sold as an accessory for the mesh-licious most likely at a premium price.
There already is a Gen 4 Riser Cable accessory available on the ssupd site, that said....

It may not make sense on the logistics side, and I won't pretend I have a background in that so I'm just throwing it out there:

I wish the option was just selectable as its own SKU.
(i.e: Meshlicious Black 3.0, Meshlicious Black 4.0, Meshlicious White 3.0, Meshlicious White 4.0)

This way people are able to choose and won't get forced into paying for a riser in the current case that they'll immediately just replace with a 4.0 riser for an additional chunk of change. Could even be priced as follows - though, again, I've got no logistics background, so I welcome being corrected on this if I'm assuming something incorrectly:
  • Meshlicious Black - PCIE 3.0 Riser = $119 USD
  • Meshlicious Black - PCIE 4.0 Riser = $164 USD
    • i.e: Base MSRP - 3.0 Riser Price + 4.0 Riser Price
  • Meshlicious White - PCIE 3.0 Riser = $119 USD
  • Meshlicious White - PCIE 4.0 Riser = $164 USD
Otherwise, people who want a PCIE 4.0-ready system and who don't want to deal with reseating their GPU or taking apart their system whenever they update the BIOS will need to pay $189, which diminishes the value aspect of the case.

Again, not saying this would be a guaranteed fix, but just throwing an idea out there - hope I'm not coming off as disrespectful to the team or anything.

Last edited:

Tobber

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 17, 2021
Can i even run an RTX 3080 Founders Edition in the case? When the card is installed, the rear fan pushes the warm air against the main board, right?
Is that even recommended?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Can i even run an RTX 3080 Founders Edition in the case? When the card is installed, the rear fan pushes the warm air against the main board, right?
Is that even recommended?
I do not think anyone would 'recommend' anything pushing warm air against the main board.
Whether it will cause actual problem, this has yet to be seen as there are just not many actual reports floating around in the net, AFAIK.
As the warm air is exhausted toward the back of the main board, the chief victim would be the rear M.2 SSD. Extensive gaming session would very likely affect other components (including the graphics card itself) to a certain degree as well.

The real issue is that many (not all) AIB 3080s (with tri-fan design) also has the 3rd fan doing this type of pass-through airflow. But, the FE is the worst as more than half of the heat (vs less than 1/3 in AIB's) will be pushed against the mainboard.

Last edited:

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
There already is a Gen 4 Riser Cable accessory available on the ssupd site, that said....

It may not make sense on the logistics side, and I won't pretend I have a background in that so I'm just throwing it out there:

I wish the option was just selectable as its own SKU.
(i.e: Meshlicious Black 3.0, Meshlicious Black 4.0, Meshlicious White 3.0, Meshlicious White 4.0)

This way people are able to choose and won't get forced into paying for a riser in the current case that they'll immediately just replace with a 4.0 riser for an additional chunk of change. Could even be priced as follows - though, again, I've got no logistics background, so I welcome being corrected on this if I'm assuming something incorrectly:
  • Meshlicious Black - PCIE 3.0 Riser = $119 USD
  • Meshlicious Black - PCIE 4.0 Riser = $164 USD
  • Meshlicious White - PCIE 3.0 Riser = $119 USD
  • Meshlicious White - PCIE 4.0 Riser = $164 USD
Otherwise, people who want a PCIE 4.0-ready system and who don't want to deal with reseating their GPU or taking apart their system whenever they update the BIOS will need to pay $189, which diminishes the value aspect of the case.

Again, not saying this would be a guaranteed fix, but just throwing an idea out there - hope I'm not coming off as disrespectful to the team or anything.
We're talking about saving $25 here for a cable that isn't likely to work with every config... (again, there aren't any risers yet that are properly rated for PCIe 4.0)

And having more SKU's is likely to increase the price overall. I don't think Its worth increasing the base price just to have another SKU instead of keeping it as an accessory.

I do not think anyone would 'recommend' anything pushing warm air against the main board.
Whether it will cause actual problem, this has yet to be seen as there are just not many actual reports floating around in the net, AFAIK.
As the warm air is exhausted toward the back of the main board, the chief victim would be the rear M.2 SSD. Extensive gaming session would very likely affect other components (including the graphics card itself) to a certain degree as well.

The real issue is that many (not all) AIB 3080s (with tri-fan design) also has the 3rd fan doing this type of pass-through airflow. But, the FE is the worst as more than half of the heat (vs less than 1/3 in AIB's) will be pushed against the mainboard.

Is there anything stopping you from moving the GPU a slot closer to the mesh, leaving a slot behind it for cooling? Heck you could even move it 2 slots if you move the spine into 4 slot mode.

The only thing you'd need are some 20mm stand-off's to secure the riser.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Is there anything stopping you from moving the GPU a slot closer to the mesh, leaving a slot behind it for cooling? Heck you could even move it 2 slots if you move the spine into 4 slot mode.

The only thing you'd need are some 20mm stand-off's to secure the riser.
Sure, you can do this.
With that extra slot space behind, it will make life easier for the display card. Perhaps it will be just a little bit easier but not much because the card's fan is an axial one which usually just does not benefit as much as a centrifugal one.

As for the mainboard, the warm air will still hit the mainboard directly even with the gap. The amount of air will be quite substantial in a gaming session and so I do not think the gap will alleviate the problem much. I do not know. Maybe there is space at the case top to install some 40mm fans to help moving the warm air upward?

Anyway, I wish OT did their review with a 3080FE or a 3080 AIB instead of the 2070S FE.

We can do mental analysis all day long...lol Cannot wait to see this case be put into real action.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
We're talking about saving $25 here for a cable that isn't likely to work with every config... (again, there aren't any risers yet that are properly rated for PCIe 4.0)

That's fine - and why it was just an idea - but the linkup risers (& others) are known to have issues and lower performance in 4.0 mode, so I still want clarification that this 4.0 riser option at least works if people are going to spend $70 USD on it.

Benchmarks showing it works without lowering performance would be ideal if they want people to spend that much on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHudacris

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Sure, you can do this.
With that extra slot space behind, it will make life easier for the display card. Perhaps it will be just a little bit easier but not much because the card's fan is an axial one which usually just does not benefit as much as a centrifugal one.

As for the mainboard, the warm air will still hit the mainboard directly even with the gap. The amount of air will be quite substantial in a gaming session and so I do not think the gap will alleviate the problem much. I do not know. Maybe there is space at the case top to install some 40mm fans to help moving the warm air upward?

Anyway, I wish OT did their review with a 3080FE or a 3080 AIB instead of the 2070S FE.

We can do mental analysis all day long...lol Cannot wait to see this case be put into real action.
People have tested even a single slot gap in the FormD T1 and it resulted in a significant improvement, a dual slot gap should perform great. Not to mention the Mesh-L has more venting to allow air to flow around the back than the T1.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the airflow on the back of the motherboard. Most standard cases have no airflow behind the motherboard at all, which results in stagnant hot air. Warm airflow is still preferable, and I recon with a gap it won't be as hot because of the cooler outside air that gets drawn in from the back mixing in.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I always thought that caseking will be the European Vendor

It is supposed to, but you can't expect the case to be available in Europe as soon as it is in US/website, so I asked whether someone could buy straight from website paying for the international shipping instead of waiting for the case to arrive in EU distributors. I'd rather pay more and have the case sooner.

Feonnor

Chassis Packer
Jan 12, 2021
I agree, we don‘t know when and if european vendors will sell the case. Also we do not know if extras (mesh-panel etc.) will be available...

Onus

Caliper Novice
Jan 2, 2021
It is supposed to, but you can't expect the case to be available in Europe as soon as it is in US/website, so I asked whether someone could buy straight from website paying for the international shipping instead of waiting for the case to arrive in EU distributors. I'd rather pay more and have the case sooner.
i guess you could just ship it with Amazon.
Louqes Ghost S1 also is available on Amazon US and Amazon can ship it to Germany if i want.

I guess the same would apply to this case.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
That's fine - and why it was just an idea - but the linkup risers (& others) are known to have issues and lower performance in 4.0 mode, so I still want clarification that this 4.0 riser option at least works if people are going to spend $70 USD on it.

Benchmarks showing it works without lowering performance would be ideal if they want people to spend that much on it.
There are benchmarks showing that there's no difference between PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4 in general. How are they supposed to show it works with PCIe Gen3/4 risers?

Currently thats one of the largest moneysinks without any effect. :/

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
There are benchmarks showing that there's no difference between PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4 in general. How are they supposed to show it works with PCIe Gen3/4 risers?
The main reason there's no difference between 3.0 and 4.0 is that current GPU's don't saturate the connection - this is normal. The issue is that systems won't boot if there is a 3.0 riser between two 4.0 parts.

THAT SAID, numerous faulty 4.0 riser cables like LINKUP's actively reduce performance compared to both using a 3.0 cable or a direct MB connection, as shown.

In conclusion, they show this cable works by showing there's no difference in performance between a direct GPU connection and the 4.0 Riser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kommando

Qu1ckset

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 9, 2020
Preorded a EVGA XC3 Ultra today but noticed the store had a msi radeon rx 6800 gaming x trio 16gb in-stock so I bought that too with dimensions being 324 x 141 x 55 mm would the width or length affect anything in this case if I decide to keep this card ?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Any issues with the extended board length & the riser cable...?

C8I will fit assuming you have the SFX orientated the right way, you will need a longer PCIe Riser Cable though. Go 3M if you can.

What is the stock PCIe riser cable length, and what is the recommended length to work with the C8I in Mesh-Licious...? TY...!

I'd say what ever the stock cable length is, Add 33mm minimum to that and you should be good? C8I is 3.3cm longer than ITX boards at 20.3cm x 17cm, ITX is at 17cm x 17cm. I think you can get away with 40mm or even 50mm longer length depending on the bend.

No offense @Kizzster, but I am looking for a definitive answer from @Wahaha360...

And you would need to add twice the length (33mm), because the cable has to go back up the same extra distance it went down...?

@Wahaha360. might this be a cable that will work in Mesh-Licious with the C8I mobo...?!?

26cm 3M 16x Gen4 PCIe riser cable...

Assuming the 18.5cm length given for the stock cables available on the SSUPD website is end-to-end (not just the ribbon cables themselves), the above mentioned cable would have an extra 7.5cm on length, so it should be just about perfect...?

Thanks..!

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Any news if we will able to preorder the case to EU countrys via the official website? 60$ shipping would be ok (for me).
Yeah, I asked about it too, Waha said it would cost probably around 60$ but he said to contact support once it's online to confirm, not sure if they would do it.
I always thought that caseking will be the European Vendor

Working on it. We have NDA with distributors, and air shipping prices are constantly changing due to the ongoing effects of Covid-19, so we can't give more info atm.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
My previous understanding was that truly certified and compatible PCIE 4.0 risers were only coming in late 2021 - which was why they weren't the default for things like the Winter One or more recent drops of the T1, etc.

Just want to confirm this riser won't have any issues like those discussed here.

Working on a LINKUP PCIe 4.0 *Compatible Riser built-in variant for preorder.

NO ETA atm because global IC shortage = LINKUP has no cables to give to us.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
No offense @Kizzster, but I am looking for a definitive answer from @Wahaha360...

And you would need to add twice the length (33mm), because the cable has to go back up the same extra distance it went down...?

@Wahaha360. might this be a cable that will work in Mesh-Licious with the C8I mobo...?!?

26cm 3M 16x Gen4 PCIe riser cable...

Assuming the 18.5cm length given for the stock cables available on the SSUPD website is end-to-end (not just the ribbon cables themselves), the above mentioned cable would have an extra 7.5cm on length, so it should be just about perfect...?

Thanks..!

I have a C8I in the mail, and 3M PCIe 4.0 *compatible riser as well, so I will take photos just for you when I get both, current ETA end of month.