Maybe a daft question.......

malcky

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2017
If you have confirmed that your DDR4 memory is all okay by running memtest for days in the past, and then decide at a later time to upgrade the cpu only (from a dual core Celeron to a i7 6700 in my case)......do you still need to run memtest with the new cpu to confirm all is still okay?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
If you have confirmed that your DDR4 memory is all okay by running memtest for days in the past, and then decide at a later time to upgrade the cpu only (from a dual core Celeron to a i7 6700 in my case)......do you still need to run memtest with the new cpu to confirm all is still okay?
If it is overclocked, then maybe as the IMCs are different and may not hold the same clocks.

malcky

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2017
No I'm not interested in overclocking these days......chances are I will run memtest at some point anyway just to be sure.

Karamazovmm

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2016
There is basically no need to do that.

Your not changing the platform nor the motherboard and you have verified the ram is ok already.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The only exception is that integrated memory controllers on CPUs might behave differently. With DDR4-2133 and DDR4-2400 speeds following the JEDEC specs, there shouldn't be a problem. But above those speeds, there might be variations what's stable and what isn't. So a certain CPU might behave 100% error-free with a set of RAM sticks, but another CPU might give errors.

AMD's Ryzen has been very sensitive about this. Microcode updates integrated in BIOS updates are promised to deal with this (preliminary reports of the final AGESA 1.0.0.6 tests support this).