• Hey Guest, save 20% on our entire merchandise range during the month of December! Use promo code MAKEITSMOL at Our Merchandise Store!

Log mATX workstation (future NAS / media server)

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Change of plans: Because of being waaaay too busy with work, so I cannot really build my Mesh-mATX before like .. mid December I guess - but I still needs to scratch that SFF itch - I decided to skip my mAPU build for reusing of what I already got.

This means, its downsizing time: My current main system. From a Phanteks P360A to something more SFF-sized. With the requirement of just plopping in the mainboard, add SFX PSU, the current GPU and sprinkle some Wifi / BT card magic on top. Well, and a few case fans plus maybe a smallish (A)RGB controller.

Turns out, my very very original plans with doing a NR200P mATX mod wasnt that far off - going a bit bigger, for one of the many SAMA IM01 licensed clones, ie. the Inter-Tech IM-1 Pocket (also see kikimaru024's thread).

Current system specs:
- Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X
- MB: MSI B450M Pro VDH-Max
- GPU: MSI GTX 1660 (non-super and non-Ti)
- RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200
- Storage: 1 TB m2 SSD (Seagate Firecuda)
- CPU Fan: LC-Power Cosmo Cool LC-CC-120 CPU cooler, which had a horridly rattling CPU fan, and thus was replaced with an Arctic P12 PST CO

Components sitting around:
- Case: Inter-Tech IM-1 Pocket
- Wifi/BT: Inter-Tech PowerOn DMG-36 - thats a Wifi 6 + BT 5.3 PCIe 2.0 x1 card
- Case fans: 3x Scythe Kaze Flex 120 ARGB 1800rpm, 2x Arctic P14 PST CO (originally planned for the P360A, but I never got around to install them, so they're surplus)

Ordered, but not yet arrived:
- PSU: wanted the Cooler Master V550 SFX, but as usual, not available (from reliable sources); figured out you just can flip the case upside down, tested with a spare ATX PSU, and then decided to go with the Seasonic Focus PX 80 PLUS Platinum instead :)
- ARGB controller(s) - see my lengthy post
- Fan splitter cables, because the MSI board only comes with 3 fan headers (Noctua + EK WB)

Future extensions:
- maybe a replacement for the CPU fan, not yet sure (the Arctic is doing its job very well)
- RAID 10 with 4x 1 TB SATA SSDs, something with a nice high TBW, for 24/7 / NAS usage (ie. workstation / server)
- replacing the current m2 with a 250 or 500 GB m2 with similar high TBW like the Firecuda, and installing MX Linux, when I'm done building the Mesh-mATX (obviously, because that is going to be my future main system)
- replacing the GPU with an RX 6400 or smaller
- half jokingly: Raijintek Orcus 140 RBW, one of the few 140 mm AIOs - for side-mounting it, making the system slightly less noisy

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Update: The case, the fans and the WiFi-Addon card have arrived.

Also, the side panels weigh a .. wagon ... load. Damn. 720 g per side panel, bottom + top ~ 510g, and the front panel is 526g. So, 2 x 720 + 2x 510 + 526 = 2986 g, nearly 3 kg! Without them, the case feels actually quite nice and portable!

Already did a test fit with my spare mATX and ATX PSU; seems to work nice.

And if one doesnt care for going the ways one is supposed to, but positions the PSU on the bottom (still upright, oc), then we still are able to add two 120 mm fans on top. Of corpse, one cannot fit a massive GPU inside, but I didnt plan for that in the first place. My current GTX 1660 should fit well enough with at least 3 - 4 cm of space between the end of the GPU and the PSU.

Thus, as soon as I've managed to untie / remove the cable ties, that some helpful idiot seems to have overdone quite a bit (the one in front is sooo tight I'm fearing for accidently damaging the cables!), I'm going to test if the PSU extension is long enough to reach down to the "floor" position.

Then I could just go with my current ATX power supply, and be happy ever after.

Pictures gonna follow in a bit :)

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: Arboreal

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Ok, wow - this is such a faithful clone / extended mATX version of the NR200P - I totally forgot that you can flip the case, move the power button etc. panel, too, and then everything works out perfectly - ie. no space issues, and no need to like .. improvise with the PSU position.

Really, this is such a nice case to work with - sure, its no Lian Li or Phanteks, quality-wise, but its still very solid quality, and super versatile, and you can get everything easily fit, if you think not too hard. I'd go as far and say: It's the near-pertect SFF beginner case, esp. if you want to introduce your siblings or teenage children to PC building :) <3

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arboreal

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
And Caseking seems to have finally managed to send out the rest of the parts I need - at least there is a "status change" of my order, and a DHL package has been "electronically announced".
OT: I gonna rant about their rather annoying order status system elsewhere (the fediverse).

Ordered parts:
- PSU: Seasonic Focus PX 80 PLUS Platinum
- Kolink Inspire L1 3-Pin 5V ARGB Controller
- Lamptron CFP30 ARGB Sync Fan / RGB-Controller
- a few fan splitter cables (Noctua and EK WB)
- Kolink 1-to-6 ARGB splitter cable

About the controllers: We're gonna see which one works better for my purposes. I guess the Kolink Inspire is enough, and the Lamptron is going to be used for my Mesh-mATX build, but you never know. At least the case has enough space to support it, too.

Why do I need them? Mostly because I'm not into fancy ARGB light shows, and I'm running Linux as my primary OS, so there is next to no support, anyway. Thus "hard-coded" ARGB control mode it is. Has been working nice with the Phanteks P360A so far, too :)

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
So, Caseking and DHL decided to combine their best behaviour, and now the stuff I ordered on Saturday very early morning is still not around. Apparently the DHL delivery guy had either an accident or worked too long. Lets just hope its gonna arrive tomorrow *sighs*
.. cause I really need something to make my day brighter.

cu, w0lf.