Magnets (or other discreet fixings…)

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Hi - relatively new to this forum - and apologies in advance for probably a very simple/stupid request for info…

I am considering modding a case and wish to try and use discreet/invisible fixings to hold the side panel in place… and was considering using small magnets (the magnets would attach on the outer edges of the frame). Neodymium Magnetic discs come in varying sizes and thickness and are quite strong… and that there is probably the key 'issue'… I would not put them anywhere near vital components - but wondering if I should just avoid altogether?

I have seen magnets suggested to hold fine fan filters (and some filters are made of a low-power magnetic material). I am also looking at 3M magnetic tape as a 'lower strength' magnetic option.

In lieu of magnets - any suggestions for really smart discreet fixings that can be added to cases relatively easily… And do not seriously impact on the existing structure/integrity of the case? I like the Lian Li push pin technology but my Google searches to date have not found anything similar.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Mar 6, 2017
I'm not sure about the magnets, but as far as the push pins goes:

The Lian Li stud & clip fasteners are proprietary to them, and the studs are joined by welding. Jonsbo have something similar as well. AFAIK, there's no way to get them without going through one of the aforementioned companies, or having your own tooled up and manufactured.

The ones used in the Cerberus, in contrast, are off the shelf parts that are readily available. These are either pressed into the sheet metal, or screwed in, though, so they won't be completely hidden on the outside (unless using a female ball stud with a concealed-head threaded standoff).

From This is what I've been working on lately (4.3L watercooled)

Reactions: VegetableStu

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Hi - relatively new to this forum - and apologies in advance for probably a very simple/stupid request for info…

I am considering modding a case and wish to try and use discreet/invisible fixings to hold the side panel in place… and was considering using small magnets (the magnets would attach on the outer edges of the frame). Neodymium Magnetic discs come in varying sizes and thickness and are quite strong… and that there is probably the key 'issue'… I would not put them anywhere near vital components - but wondering if I should just avoid altogether?

I have seen magnets suggested to hold fine fan filters (and some filters are made of a low-power magnetic material). I am also looking at 3M magnetic tape as a 'lower strength' magnetic option.

In lieu of magnets - any suggestions for really smart discreet fixings that can be added to cases relatively easily… And do not seriously impact on the existing structure/integrity of the case? I like the Lian Li push pin technology but my Google searches to date have not found anything similar.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Back in the earlier days of computing, we all had removable media (floppy disks and mag tapes) laying around on the desktop. And at times these would become corrupted and magnets were often blamed for upsetting the bits.

As time passed, optical disks came into use and low cost hard disks. Floppies and mag tape went the way of Edsel. Data corruption became much less frequent.

Currently it is common to find magnets used to hold panels in place was well as dust filters.

Neil

Supercluster

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2016
Back in the earlier days of computing, we all had removable media (floppy disks and mag tapes) laying around on the desktop. And at times these would become corrupted and magnets were often blamed for upsetting the bits.

As time passed, optical disks came into use and low cost hard disks. Floppies and mag tape went the way of Edsel. Data corruption became much less frequent.

Currently it is common to find magnets used to hold panels in place was well as dust filters.

Neil

What about magnetic motherboard standoffs (extra strong magnets required)?