M1 Air cooling suggestion?

jinyi711

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Hi guys.
I have received my NCase M1 V6 today and I want to build it with air cooler.
My CPU is Ryzen 3600 and Mobo is Gigabyte X570i Aorus pro wifi.
I hope to use Dark Rock TF but unfortunately according to be quiet it is not working with my Mobo.
Actually, I want to use side bracket with two led fans, so Noctua's U9s is not my option.
It might be best if I could use Dark Rock TF, is there any other option looks like Dark Rock TF?

hshot_rooke

Cable Smoosher
Sep 13, 2019
I've been looking for Air cooling options as well.
Everything i've read points to old Noctua coolers C14 and C12 being super good for the Ncase M1. I currently have a C12 in my M1 with 4790k in it and it works really well. But I'm upgrading to a 3800x and don't want to move the cooler over so looking for another cooler.
Problem is the C14 and C12 are discontinued and replaced with models that need a little bit of modification to fit.

Optimum Tech youtube channel has some decent vids of his cooling. He has a few videos. He uses a Noctua D9L and then upgrades to a Noctua U9S, which is considered one of the top M1 coolers now, especially with glass window. You can see his changeover and testing of these 2 coolers in this video.

He also has quite a few videos on the NCase, modding it and putting in a 240 AIO.

I'm considering the Noctua U9S if I go air and a Alphacool Eisbaer LT240 if I go water.

bizzy

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 13, 2019
Unfortunately your requirement of using led fans on the side bracket will severely limit your choices for a cpu cooler. Imo, you would be better off getting led strips instead if all you want is the rgb to shine through. You could then use a decent cooler for your cpu.

I would recommend the C14S as it's a pretty beastly cooler. I was using the U9S in my M1 v5 build, but switched to the C14S since you can now move the psu to the front without a bracket in the v6, which allows you to use the 140mm fan.

My temps went down about 5-7 degrees C compared to the U9S. I have the 140mm fan under the heatsink blowing toward the side panel with a 92mm intake on the back, and an Arctic Accelero III exhausting with 2x A12x25.