Concept M-itx gaming PC based on PS4 looks and flex-atx PSU (8.6 litres)

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Hey guys I was always a fan of powerful SFF PCs in addition to the how the current gen PS4 looks like. so I decided to make a prototype concept case based on that. the objective was the following
1. High end CPU ( case supports coolers up to 80mm)
2. multiple storage ( around 3 ssds was fitted in there...still have a hard time figuring out the details, and possible 3.5 + optical drive bays...)
3. high end GPUs (The GPU air flow is completely separate from the rest of the case...in addition multiple vents around the gpu side + 2 intake 120mm fans at the bottom if the thickness of the card allows)
4. decent temps (DUH... XD)
5. small overall volume (while the smallest I have seen with an internal PSU is the Sentry by Dr. Zaber at 7 litres it sacrifices a lot in terms of fans but it is relatively thin as well at 66mm...which can be accommodated for in my case design as well just by flipping the orientation of the PSU...but it will add some width...in other words I can compromise more but I dont want to XD) I decided to take it a bit further but eliminating the psu limitation and using flex atx)

PS: width of the case can be reduced from 350mm to less (around 330mm minimum) if small width GPUs were used but i wanted wide compatibility. GPU in photos is gigabyte HD 7970
PS2: Would love to hear your suggestions :D

PHOTOS ARE IN THIS GOOGLE DRIVE - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Byc9GijX2N0sanVvbGgwMEFpbkU?usp=sharing

Mar 6, 2017
Pretty cool concept, but yeah that overlap is a bit of a problem. I assume you don't like external PSUs? Also, I think there might be enough room for a 240mm rad above the GPU, and if you stick with a short PSU, you can probably stick it behind the MB, reducing the volume and wasted space a tad, but it would make cable management an absolute nightmare.

Reactions: Biowarejak

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yep pretty cool concept. Can go even smaller if you don't need full size GPU :thumb:

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
The video card bracket overlapping the motherboard's rear I/O is a bit of a problem, don't you think?
Thank you for the reply! BTW i love your Ncase M1 :D the GPU was a ready made 3d model from sketchup warehouse. I only inserted it in the PCIE riser directly, but as you know there is another extender piece that fits in the riser itself. that would give it the distance not to interfere with the rear IO :D. Also, I probably inserted it wrong in the model to be honest :/ aligning everything perfectly is a nightmare in this program.

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Pretty cool concept, but yeah that overlap is a bit of a problem. I assume you don't like external PSUs? Also, I think there might be enough room for a 240mm rad above the GPU, and if you stick with a short PSU, you can probably stick it behind the MB, reducing the volume and wasted space a tad, but it would make cable management an absolute nightmare.
Thank you for the reply! I replied to the overlap problem in the comment above; i inserted the gpu in the riser directly, but there is an extender piece that plugs in the riser then the gpu which should give it enough clearance for the rear IO :D. about the psu its not that i dont like the external ones, i think the S4 mini is a great case but I wanted to do something small using flex atx that has the looks of the ps4 since about 1 year ago :D. i thought of another model where the psu is under the mobo but when you model it. in the end its close to box case. the main point of having it oriented vertically like that (height = 81 mm) is that it gives you 2 advantages 1. cpu cooler height is around 75mm so you can fit a 7700k in there or any 95W tdp CPU. and 2. you can fit a 2.5 slot GPU in there or 2 slim fans for intake for a 2 slot gpu. finally regarding the AIO. I did not think about that, but I dont think it will work to be honest. I am thinking of shutting off the GPU side completely by a bracket with only a small opening for cable routing. my idea is that, like the XBOX 1 S design, the whole GPU area is ventilated for good air flow while being shut off from the rest of the case. I am however considering SSD mounts above the GPU like the RVZ01/2

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Yep pretty cool concept. Can go even smaller if you don't need full size GPU :thumb:
thank you for the reply! I thought about that! i can make the case shorter in depth than 300mm but when I thought about how most gtx 1080 (excluding the high end ti mdoel) are about 260-280mm on average (the strix oc model looks very long) I thought keep it at 300 to ensure very high compatability with modern GPUs and it is relatively small at 8.6 litres (right in between the zaber sentry and node 202). if the idea takes off I can probably make another SKU that is shorter :D

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
I would love to hear more of your suggestions and ideas as well! i am dedicated enough to this case concept to want to make it a reality as well. unfortunately I am not experienced enough with very accurate modeling that uses programs like solidworks with rivet locations and stuff. if anyone is experienced with case modeling or knows how I can reach a stage in the design where we actually start producing models (and of course wants to help me out) I would really appreciate this! maybe we can push it far enough :D

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I would love to hear more of your suggestions and ideas as well! i am dedicated enough to this case concept to want to make it a reality as well. unfortunately I am not experienced enough with very accurate modeling that uses programs like solidworks with rivet locations and stuff. if anyone is experienced with case modeling or knows how I can reach a stage in the design where we actually start producing models (and of course wants to help me out) I would really appreciate this! maybe we can push it far enough :D
There is an accurate model of the GPU and motherboard here. You'll have to rotate the GPU in the model, but...

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
There is an accurate model of the GPU and motherboard here. You'll have to rotate the GPU in the model, but...
THANK YOU! :D i used the mobo model to accurately make my case...it solved some of the problems like the gpu rear io crossing over to the mobo rear io :D i did not use the pcie 16x slot model though as it was 320mm in length and my case is only 300mm

Reactions: HeroXLazer

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
THANK YOU! :D i used the mobo model to accurately make my case...it solved some of the problems like the gpu rear io crossing over to the mobo rear io :D i did not use the pcie 16x slot model though as it was 320mm in length and my case is only 300mm
You could use that GPU for the bracket. I did that, it didn't fit into the model, but I got an accurate bracket size. Also, for the I/O cutout, there needs to be a minimum of 2.54MM on each side for the keepout area.

Last edited:

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
You could use that GPU for the bracket. I did that, it didn't fit into the model, but I got an accurate bracket size. Also, for the I/O cutout, there needs to be a minimum of 2.54MM on each size for the keepout area.
I did notice the IO keepout area, but to be honest, it is a small measurement and when I tried to accurately display it on the model it was sooo annoying because it keeps snapping in the wrong place, but hey its easily fixable in a more detailed version XD. I am honestly waiting for the enough feedback on the idea waiting for it to take off. I spent just 2 hours when I saw your post about the accurate mobo sizes reeshaping my model so i am definitely committed!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
thank you for the reply! I thought about that! i can make the case shorter in depth than 300mm but when I thought about how most gtx 1080 (excluding the high end ti mdoel) are about 260-280mm on average (the strix oc model looks very long) I thought keep it at 300 to ensure very high compatability with modern GPUs and it is relatively small at 8.6 litres (right in between the zaber sentry and node 202). if the idea takes off I can probably make another SKU that is shorter :D

Haha let me rephrase that;

You can make the case even shorter if you only support ITX sized GPUs (~185mm length) :)

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Haha let me rephrase that;

You can make the case even shorter if you only support ITX sized GPUs (~185mm length) :)
XD I think I understand it the same way...I tried to fit the gigabyte 970 itx but surprisingly it was wider than the gigabyte HD 7970 model I had... I dont know how

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I did notice the IO keepout area, but to be honest, it is a small measurement and when I tried to accurately display it on the model it was sooo annoying because it keeps snapping in the wrong place
Enter the dimensions manually to avoid snapping:
  1. Select the object you want to move, then click on the move tool
  2. Move the object in the direction you want (hold shift to constrain to an axis)
  3. Type the distance and hit enter

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Enter the dimensions manually to avoid snapping:
  1. Select the object you want to move, then click on the move tool
  2. Move the object in the direction you want (hold shift to constrain to an axis)
  3. Type the distance and hit enter
Thank you for the reply :D I know how to move the object by entering the dimensions manually, however my problem is that, in college I used the meters template (Green screen helps my eyes) so when enter a very small dimension like 2.5mm i think it approximates to the nearest 10mm. I maybe wrong though I will try it again. tried to change to a mm template on the existing model as well but still comes out in meters when i measure anything :/

ashrafmmahdy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
I tried the program after posting this. to be honest it is not very easy to use but I got the hang of it. I have quite a few issues however i was able to choose a ready made template for mini itx...entered my case dimensions and it was automatically drawn as a rectangular box.
problems are
1. I cannot edit the location of the cutout for the rear IO + PCIe...tried everything
2. I can do the angles on the side panels...but I cannot make the front panel + back panel inclined...they are just straight up and making the side panel
angled creates a gap.
3. I think I am able to create the needed cutouts for like Front IO and rear power for the PSU.
4. I am not able to easily create the SSD mounts that also serve as cable management hideouts