Discussion m.2 to pcie to usb?

VHSTape

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Nov 13, 2021
So, I was wondering if I could use a m.2 to pcie adapter to plug in a usb expansion card? At lest I think it should work but might be wrong and missing something, I'd rather ask people who might know than just spend money and hope.

VHSTape

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Nov 13, 2021
What are you trying to do ? There are m.2 to USB adapters. They provide headers similar to the ones used on motherboards.

That's very close to what I'm looking to do but I wanted to try to install something like this

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
That's very close to what I'm looking to do but I wanted to try to install something like this

That board will have some serious bandwidth limitation. PCIe gen3 x1 only has 1Gbps to offer. Any reason that you need that many ports ?

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
That board will have some serious bandwidth limitation. PCIe gen3 x1 only has 1Gbps to offer. Any reason that you need that many ports ?
I'd be more inclined to use an M.2 to USB3.x (5Gbps or 10Gbps per port) and a hub downstream if you need the extra ports. In theory, that'll relieve the limitation of the PCIe x1 link and also likely be more reliable than having a hub already on the USB card.

In addition to the already mentioned
https://www.delock.de/produkt/62842 and

There's also

You can find similar/basically identical products dotted around the usual marketplace sites (eBay / AliExpress / etc)

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Opinion:

Use an M.2 to pcie riser, like this with a card like this this