M.2 Size

TMatzelle60

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
I have a question im OCD with Storage and im wondering I don't move my user files like my documents, my pictures and so on off the main drive. Will a 1TB M.2 be enough?

I do not store movies and such on my drive. Also my Steam will be on a separate 2tb SSD while DCS World on another 2TB ssd

Like I said My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos and so on will stay on my M.2 and I don't really store videos, Music or pictures on it. Most of it is on Google Drive.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Honestly, there is no way for us to be able to know without knowing how big those files are. Are they under 800GB ish? They’ll fit. Are they over? They won’t.

Reactions: Sashby

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
A good utility application for visualising how much space each file takes up on your drives is WinDirStat

https://windirstat.net/

The treemap represents each file as a coloured rectangle, the area of which is proportional to the file's size. The rectangles are arranged in such a way, that directories again make up rectangles, which contain all their files and subdirectories. So their area is proportional to the size of the subtrees. The colour of a rectangle indicates the type of the file, as shown in the extension list.

But like @Revenant said we can't really tell you how much storage you might need without specifics.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
If you don't really store large files on your OS drive this question kind of answers itself. However pictures and video aren't the only large files out there. Do you install a lot of large applications? Do you have a lot of work files, like large PDFs or PPTs? If so, that can add up. Still, 1TB for an OS drive is normally plenty. I have a 500GB drive, store anywhere from 20-70GB of photos on it normally (they get shuffled off to the NAS once I'm done sorting and processing), but no videos or music. Other than that my Onedrive and Dropbox, work docs (a few GB IIRC) and a bunch of applications (office, Creative Cloud, etc.). The only reason my drive is more than half full is because I use it as overflow for my (also 500GB) game drive. 1TB ought to be plenty, but using WinDirStat to check the sizes of your current directories is a good idea nonetheless.