Concept LUX - 11.3L Focus on premium design and liquid cooling - Slim Console Style

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
So Im having a design dilemma haha. The usb type a is an eye sore on what otherwise is a clean and rounded design. Would people be okay with two usb c ports instead?
completely fine for me since my portable devices - a DAP, external drives, and phone all use USB-C. but I'm just 1 person. this question should probably be best posted on reddit (r/sffpc)

Jcole247

Case Bender
New User
Jan 23, 2020
Question for the community. As someone who has never really used front IO I'm not sure what the majority of people consider essential! So in saying that what would everyone like to see included in the front IO? Right now I'm leaning towards a USB type A and USB type C, if there's room for it maybe a headphone jack.
Personally, I'm good with no front I/O ports( current case only has power button) but i can see people wanting a USB type A and/or C

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if it didn't have front I/O at all ports at all.

If people need easily accessible I/O, they're better off using a hub or extensions with the ports they actually need imo.

Gman3850

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2018
subbing, this is exactly the type of case ive ben looking for, im using the 3090 with the special edition ek black so super short, and i wated the 280mm rad for my 5900x and the 3090.

oOflyeyesOo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 25, 2020
How much space is behind the inside frame? I see the two ssd in the back, what about slim fans behind the rad for push/pull.

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
How much space is behind the inside frame? I see the two ssd in the back, what about slim fans behind the rad for push/pull.
Unless you have a 5mm thick fan your are out of luck haha. The case is so thin it just fits the 30mm thick rad and 25mm thick fans. I've been using the GTS 280 X-Flow as my placeholder card as from my research, it seems to be the best slim 280mm rad. It even holds it's own against some larger 360mm rads as documented from the extensive testing done by xtremerigs . Unrelated to the rad fans, I was able to find some space at the bottom right of the case underneath the pci slots for a 40x10mm fan. Which may or may not affect thermal performance who knows!

Last edited:

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Oh, and thanks everyone for the input about front IO. I think I might just be sticking with USB C, and if someone wants type A they can either use a dongle or stick it in the rear (That sounds like an inappropriate joke...) I hope to make a post this week with some layout suggestions for some feed back.

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Sorry for the slow update! Been busy with work and other life stuff. I have been steadily working on the case in my free time and have made great progress. Just trying to model out the PSU and water pump brackets before I post another update. Stay tuned!

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
HELLO GOOD PEOPLE OF THE INTERNET,

It's that time again. Update day!

As always I've been making tiny iterative improvements to the design and functionality of the case, and now it's time to see the sum of the work thus far.
First off the major milestones/features reached in this update are as follows:

A mounting system for the SFX PSU
A mounting system for the DDC Pump
Re-Added a way to affix the side panel to the case (Previous updates made it impossible to fit a screw, but it's back in this iteration!)
Added support for a 40mm*10mm fan near GPU for intake or exhaust
Added a power button and a USB C port for front IO
And last, but not least I got the case down to 11.3L total volume!

I believe this has been the best update so far. The case is nearing something that I'd feel comfortable prototyping and attempting a build in.
In saying that, I still want to work more on certain areas to ensure it's up to snuff. I'm also unhappy with the current stand and plan to do a complete remodel of it.

So now for some of the nitty gritty details, the updated specs are as follows:

-Exterior dimensions are 461mm Long * 354 mm Tall * 69.25mm Thick = 11.3 L total Volume
-Supports GPUs of 285mm Length with a 280mm radiator or 320mm with a 240mm radiator
-Supports GPU max height of 140mm and max thickness 60mm or 62 with mesh front panel (Triple Slot)
-CPU clearance is 39mm or 41mm with mesh front panel
-Radiator+Fan clearance is 58mm
-Supports both horizontal or vertical DDC pump mounting
-Supports SFX PSUs
-Capacity for up to two 2.5" Drives

And of course, what update wouldn't be complete without some new pictures!

The new front IO:

You can see the screw holes near the middle here for securing the side panels to the case, these will be fitted with thumb screw for easy access.

Now for something new! Some animations. The first here is a demonstration of the mounting system for the PSU. Two brackets are made, one which affixed to the PSU and one affixed to the case itself. The two parts allow you to slide the unit into place.

The following animation shows the multiple positions possible for the DDC pump mounting system, it allows for vertical placement for easy plumbing, or horizontal if you want to add a small reservoir ;)

Thanks again for tuning in and reading about the newest update, would love to hear any feedback you might have.

Cheers!

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am a little worried about the stability of the entire case. Just by eyeballing, the case looks like it can fall sideways easily with a slight bump? Have you investigated the height-to-width ratio, especially with the heaviest component (ie the PSU) mounted at the case top?

I think, most console style cases are either designed to lay flat or with some additional support at the bottom to provide lateral stability. But your current design appears to have a built-in feet system.

• Wow
Reactions: erikvalen

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
I am a little worried about the stability of the entire case. Just by eyeballing, the case looks like it can fall sideways easily with a slight bump? Have you investigated the height-to-width ratio, especially with the heaviest component (ie the PSU) mounted at the case top?

I think, most console style cases are either designed to lay flat or with some additional support at the bottom to provide lateral stability. But your current design appears to have a built-in feet system.
You are most definitely right! That's exactly why I want to redesign the stand. I plan to make the new stand stick out on either side a bit to add additional support. That's going to be my next project.

On another note, if anyone looks closely enough you'll see that the PSU AC cable would interfere with part of the mounting system. I noticed that of course right after posting. I have since fixed it as well.

Barracuda727

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2018
Great work Erikvalen, do u have some web page maybe for this case that would be great, and yea better stand like sentry 2.0 or similar cases will help, and make 2x usb 3.0 and at least one usb type c, with PCI-E riser 4.0 at least offcourse, this looks sick for me, I cant believe, when we can expect to buy this product, I know its concept and no made yet,but when U wanna put it on market, make web page for this case like salvio and sliger 530 have or thor mjolnir and sentry have, it would help you a lot one day when u sell around the world, and always send your units someone to test before u put it on market ,such as Linus or hardware canucks or others, best option probably is Optimum Tech to test this beast, make galvanization steel and U maybe have winner slim vertical console type with 11L with AIO cooling, cant believe ,respect dude, I looking something like this very long time, and send it all around the world not just in USA beacasue I live in Europe, great great again, I follow your work and this case from this day, see ya

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
Any timeline? Are ya pushing for production? The three slot market has left me unsatisfied, lol. I'd get this if possible.

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
Any timeline? Are ya pushing for production? The three slot market has left me unsatisfied, lol. I'd get this if possible.
Hey Vic. I am pushing for production. I'm slowly tinkering away at the design making sure as much iteration is completed before I have a prototype manufactured.
Sadly due to the cost of the project I likely won't be building the first prototype till Q1 2022. I've thought about hosting a Kickstarter for the prototype but would rather leave that for the final manufacturing stage as to minimize the time from investment to delivery.

Great work Erikvalen, do u have some web page maybe for this case that would be great, and yea better stand like sentry 2.0 or similar cases will help, and make 2x usb 3.0 and at least one usb type c, with PCI-E riser 4.0 at least offcourse, this looks sick for me, I cant believe, when we can expect to buy this product, I know its concept and no made yet,but when U wanna put it on market, make web page for this case like salvio and sliger 530 have or thor mjolnir and sentry have, it would help you a lot one day when u sell around the world, and always send your units someone to test before u put it on market ,such as Linus or hardware canucks or others, best option probably is Optimum Tech to test this beast, make galvanization steel and U maybe have winner slim vertical console type with 11L with AIO cooling, cant believe ,respect dude, I looking something like this very long time, and send it all around the world not just in USA beacasue I live in Europe, great great again, I follow your work and this case from this day, see ya
Hi Barracuda. Thanks for the comment. I do plan on having a website further into the development of the case, most likely with a "blog" as well as product info and purchasing options. I do plan on including a PCI 4.0 Riser as this case targets a more premium market anyway. As for front IO, due to limited space I have chosen a single USB C port. As for materials,

I have mentioned in the original post that I plan on doing a aluminum unibody. This may change to a non-unibody if manufacturing is too expensive. The finishes offered initially will be "White" (Clear Matte Anodized Unibody, white powder coated side panels) and "Black" (Fully anodized black).

I would love to send the case to both optimum tech and Linus, but I am far from that stage. When I reach production stage I plan to offer internationally if possible (I can't see any reason why this should be an issue.)

Thanks or the comments everyone always appreciated. As for updates I haven't made any large scale changes recently just making many, many, many, small iterations.

Barracuda727

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2018
One more thing can U maybe made so it can stand on right side of table not only left ,idk how to different to say and if u understand me, right side on table ,so that all cable are behind of motherboard

erikvalen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 30, 2020
One more thing can U maybe made so it can stand on right side of table not only left ,idk how to different to say and if u understand me, right side on table ,so that all cable are behind of motherboard
Hey barracuda!

Thanks for the comment. I definitely see where you're coming from. As you could probably tell my case is kind of unique in the sense that it designed on the left side of the desk! Although this my preferred placement, I'm not blind to the fact that I'm the abnormality here. A simple solution to this issue would be to actually just flip the case 180 degrees. The only gripe I have with this is needing mounting points on both the bottom and top of the case for a stand, which would take away from the clean aesthetics. I will definitely look into this issue though and see if I can design something that works.

On other terms, I'm hoping to make an update post "soon" as I've begun to model the radiator support brackets and have made many tiny improvements to the general structure.

I've been busy with my work lately so progress has been slow. I've also been getting distracted with the rendering side of things with Fusion 360 haha.

Thanks again!