CPU Lowestprofile motherboard

nyxizbored

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
What are some really low profile motherboards out there? Most if not all of the boards I see on the net are >2 USB ports tall, is there anything smaller than that that doesn't have an embedded chip? Looking to put together a really slim build and doing my research :}

Cheers!

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
What are some really low profile motherboards out there? Most if not all of the boards I see on the net are >2 USB ports tall, is there anything smaller than that that doesn't have an embedded chip? Looking to put together a really slim build and doing my research :}

Cheers!
You might want to look at Thin mini-ITX motherboard. They are slimmer but comes with some limitation :
  • Limited CPU wattage (65-85W most of the time)
  • SO-DIMM memory only
  • PCIe limitation (most are limited to PCIe-4x or even have no PCIe slot)
  • DC power only (either from an external brick or an internal AC-DC like Meanwell PSUs)
  • DC barrel is not standardized, same for input voltage (some are 12V only, others are 19V, some accept wide voltage)
  • Pretty much limited to Intel CPU only
  • Availability can be a PITA and prices are very high for industrial models (AsrockInd or Mitac)

We have a nice discussion thread about them on the forum: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/thin-itx-discussion-thread.10257/

Gigabyte, AsrockInd and Mitac often have at least a model with PCIe-16x if that's something you need.

nyxizbored

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
Thank you! Do you know of any recommendations for other form factors like mATX that may be low profile? I've been looking into Thin mini-ITX and it may not be what I need for the project I'm looking at.

nyxizbored

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
Again, I know this sounds like an insane build, lol - I have some pretty decent machining and electronics experience so I miiiight be able to pull it off

nyxizbored

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 18, 2022
Probably a watercooled loop to an external radiator. I plan on trying to make a lower-profile block with some of the machining equipment I have, but we'll see how that goes 😅

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'd suggest that you lay your idea on paper first 😉

The slimmer WB I know of is a server block from EKWB that has its inlets and outlets on the side. But even then, total height once you account for socket and CPU is close to 4x USB stack.

dsc_0219.webp.jpg

The slimmest solution I can think of is thin ITX with Intel thin ITX heatsink (heatpipes connected to a deported heatsink + blower fan).

173.jpg

Image courtesy of SlipperySkip: http://slipperyskip.com/page37.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz