CPU Low Power Draw CPU thread

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Hey guys,

This is for fun, only participate if you feel like it.
I figured it would be helpful if everybody shared their favorite, go to processors for SFF builds.

This thread is dedicated to high performance, low tdp cpus.
Here are the rules:
Passmark score needs to be minimum of 8000 for total score.
Single thread score needs to be minimum 1800.
TDP needs to be under 70 watts.

Heres a few I personally have looked into using for an SFF gaming build:
4790t
7700t
4790s
e3 1230 v2
ryzen: 1500x, 1600,1400

EDIT: Feel free to add any cpus that dont necessarily meet the standards I listed, my mindset was just for gaming. Maybe we will change the Criteria:

Good gaming cpus with very low TDP and power draw. feel free to post anything thats serviceable for gaming.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Nice initiative, but 70W isn't really low TDP for me. Also, point per watt would be à nice metric to add.

Regarding Ryzen, the TDP is an average one, not a worst case scenario. On reality, R7-1700 is more a 90W CPU than a 65W one.

Edit: I'll add my i7-4785T, 35W. Slightly below "requirements", but very close and capable CPU with 1780 pts single threads / 7568 pts multi thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Nice initiative, but 70W isn't really low TDP for me. Also, point per watt would be à nice metric to add.

Regarding Ryzen, the TDP is an average one, not a worst case scenario. On reality, R7-1700 is more a 90W CPU than a 65W one.

Edit: I'll add my i7-4785T, 35W. Slightly below "requirements", but very close and capable CPU with 1780 pts single threads / 7568 pts multi thread.
I didnt list the 1700 for that reason. I listed two of the r5 ones.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017

how does your 4785t do in gaming? Jw. what games etc.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
This weekend, if all goes well, I should be testing an Atom series chip with a GTX 1070.

No real idea what to expect, but it will hopefully be fun.

Reactions: Chrizz

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
This weekend, if all goes well, I should be testing an Atom series chip with a GTX 1070.

No real idea what to expect, but it will hopefully be fun.
Thatll be interesting to see. Keep us updated how it games. I hear the atom processors are getting better these days but havent looked into it much

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Okay, I've done some poking around. The system actually booted!

So, as you might expect, a 2.4Ghz Atom doesn't offer much in the way of performance. I'm using a Supermicro A1SRi-2758F, which has an Atom C2758.

I have one 8GB RAM stick, two SATA drives, and my Galax GTX 1070 mini connected by a (Molex) powered PCIe x16 to PCIe x8 riser cable. It's all powered by a HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX and a Dell 330W brick.

My Unigine Haven score on my 1070 was almost 30% of what it was running on a slightly undervolted i7-4790K locked at 3.6Ghz, the score was something like ~1400 on the Atom compared to the ~4000's I was getting with the i7. It's not a 1:1 comparison because I was locking the voltage of my 1070 on the i7, but that gives us a rough idea.

Regarding gaming performance, I was honestly impressed. But personally it's not satisfactory for me.

League of Legends is playable, but the (new) client is very hard to navigate, it stutters because of the CPU. (Even on low performance mode.) In game, I can maintain over 60fps but occasionally the game dives, it seems to mostly happen when I open the shop to buy an item... for that reason, it doesn't seem like it would cause problems unless maybe you opened the shop while you were vulnerable and someone jumped you at that moment--you wouldn't have time to react.

Just Cause 3 died the first time I tried loading it. The game booted fine, played its (way-too-long) intro where Rico watches that explosion from the beach, then went to the first main loading screen and crashed. I re-launched the game and it made it through the first main loading screen and warned me I didn't have enough RAM (lol), but let me get into the Main Menu and get the game into fullscreen 1080p with maxxed settings.

The game runs surprisingly well, but I can tell it's not as responsive as it is when I play on the 4790K. It's not bad, though at one point I noticed pretty significant input lag. It almost felt like I was playing Steam in-home Streaming on a cluttered network. Definitely playable, especially for a more casual singleplayer game, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone who was trying to do well or succeed in multiplayer.

All in all, I think it's a route worth considering if power consumption is the utmost importance, but it's also worth considering that this CPU (or rather, the entire system without a GPU) draws about ~30W when it's being stressed. I have heard, but don't have confirmation, that T-series chips, or even drastically undervolted desktop components get better efficiency than Atom-style chips do because as you reach a part's limit, its efficiency goes down. That said, a T-series chip is (IIRC) rated at ~35W and if it's going to normally draw less than that (and idle around ~10W), there might not be much difference in power consumption for the difference in performance. Granted, I don't know how well T-series chips run, I'd assume they are faster.

The other benefit of using a more up-to-date chip is you will almost certainly have a more modern set of features on your motherboard. This thing has USB 3.0, but it is rocking a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot...

And the final thing to consider is that while Atom chips are efficient, this thing sits at ~50C and the heatsink is hot enough that it would burn my finger if I left it on there. It's a "passive" heatsink, but it's intended to be used in a server chassis that has airflow elsewhere. (Like blowing through huge hard drive arrays.)

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017

So, as you might expect, a 2.4Ghz Atom doesn't offer much in the way of performance. I'm using a Supermicro A1SRi-2758F, which has an Atom C2758.

I have one 8GB RAM stick, two SATA drives, and my Galax GTX 1070 mini connected by a (Molex) powered PCIe x16 to PCIe x8 riser cable. It's all powered by a HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX and a Dell 330W brick.

My Unigine Haven score on my 1070 was almost 30% of what it was running on a slightly undervolted i7-4790K locked at 3.6Ghz, the score was something like ~1400 on the Atom compared to the ~4000's I was getting with the i7. It's not a 1:1 comparison because I was locking the voltage of my 1070 on the i7, but that gives us a rough idea.

Regarding gaming performance, I was honestly impressed. But personally it's not satisfactory for me.

League of Legends is playable, but the (new) client is very hard to navigate, it stutters because of the CPU. (Even on low performance mode.) In game, I can maintain over 60fps but occasionally the game dives, it seems to mostly happen when I open the shop to buy an item... for that reason, it doesn't seem like it would cause problems unless maybe you opened the shop while you were vulnerable and someone jumped you at that moment--you wouldn't have time to react.

Just Cause 3 died the first time I tried loading it. The game booted fine, played its (way-too-long) intro where Rico watches that explosion from the beach, then went to the first main loading screen and crashed. I re-launched the game and it made it through the first main loading screen and warned me I didn't have enough RAM (lol), but let me get into the Main Menu and get the game into fullscreen 1080p with maxxed settings.

The game runs surprisingly well, but I can tell it's not as responsive as it is when I play on the 4790K. It's not bad, though at one point I noticed pretty significant input lag. It almost felt like I was playing Steam in-home Streaming on a cluttered network. Definitely playable, especially for a more casual singleplayer game, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone who was trying to do well or succeed in multiplayer.

All in all, I think it's a route worth considering if power consumption is the utmost importance, but it's also worth considering that this CPU (or rather, the entire system without a GPU) draws about ~30W when it's being stressed. I have heard, but don't have confirmation, that T-series chips, or even drastically undervolted desktop components get better efficiency than Atom-style chips do because as you reach a part's limit, its efficiency goes down. That said, a T-series chip is (IIRC) rated at ~35W and if it's going to normally draw less than that (and idle around ~10W), there might not be much difference in power consumption for the difference in performance. Granted, I don't know how well T-series chips run, I'd assume they are faster.

The other benefit of using a more up-to-date chip is you will almost certainly have a more modern set of features on your motherboard. This thing has USB 3.0, but it is rocking a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot...

And the final thing to consider is that while Atom chips are efficient, this thing sits at ~50C and the heatsink is hot enough that it would burn my finger if I left it on there. It's a "passive" heatsink, but it's intended to be used in a server chassis that has airflow elsewhere. (Like blowing through huge hard drive arrays.)

something to consider: have you tried running something like razor cortex to shut off the unnecessary programs in the background? Its usually just to save more RAM, but its aimed at making weaker cpus get a good boost in stability in gaming. Since the cpu is so weak, that program could be the difference between the gaming running barely, or crashing, and could potentially help the fps drops in others. I know a lot of people have nasty stuff to say about programs like that, but its definitely one of my top 5 programs i keep on my pcs, it really does help. I keep it running for everyday browsing as well, it helps keep things from slowing down . Just a thought. I really do like the prospect of having a super low power draw cpu.

Also, has anyone experimented with mobos that have cpus soldered to them? Thats a gray area for me, i havent looked too deep into it.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017

Also, does that CPU have a turbo boost? IF it does, there are ways of forcing turbo boost in cpus, ive looked into it to get a small boost in gaming for higher core count xeons. Just a thought, if you have decent cooling.

edit: side note, does that PSU provide enough power for that gpu to game with? if it doesnt, that could be a major factor in instability and fps drops.

Also make sure to grab iobit driver booster free version and make sure your drivers are all updated. Could help a little as well.

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Wow just noticed the 3770t has a single thread perf of 1937 on passmark, as well as overall score of 8196, as well as a tdp of 45w. Not too shabby, and those motherboards are pretty easy to get a hold of for cheap. Not a bad overall balance of overall score, single core score, and tdp, as well as cheaper to build with since its older. found one for 200 bucks on ebay. about 50-80 bucks cheaper than the average 4790t on ebay, and really close score.

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I haven't tried something like Razor Cortex, no. Didn't think to try that. I didn't do much of anything to optimize this installation of Windows 10. I'll see if I can get around to trying something like that.

This is a "SOC" (soldered-on-chip) motherboard I'm dealing with. This one doesn't have TurboBoost--it 'trades' it for QuickAssist, which I am not exactly sure what that is, haha. The board was sold at a discount and I intend to use it in a file server, so I picked it up.

I'm fairly sure the 160W HDPLEX provides enough power. It's definitely cutting it close. From my testing, the system before the GPU draws a maximum of ~30W, and after running a benchmark and watching the GPU's power consumption in HWiNFO64, it drew about 163W max. Today I'll probably try undervolting the GPU (keeping it drawing ~110W max) and see if that affects anything, but I'm like 99% sure the bottleneck is the CPU and not power delivery. I'm pretty sure the system would crash or just turn off if power was the issue.

I'll try updating the drivers but I'm pretty sure I am up to date. Once those are up to date I'll run Passmark to see how this thing stacks up to those numbers.

Reactions: Biowarejak

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
iobit driver booster installed the wrong driver for my chipset and my CPU was stuck throttling as low as possible. At 1.2Ghz Cpumark gave me a score of 1645, single threaded was 275.

After fixing that, running at 2.4Ghz again, we got a score of 2898 with a single threaded score of 546. If you could find this motherboard/CPU combo for ~$270 like I did, it's still about the same price as that second-hand 3770T you're talking about. Then, you have to get these smaller (204-pin) ECC RAM sticks, which carry their own premium. It definitely sounds like a T-series chip is a better buy.

Edit: I'm hopeful we start seeing people compare T-series chips to undervolted/underclocked K-series chips. I have a 4790K I could test against a 4790T if someone has one floating around.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Are there any reasons for those number, @Bambam625?

Seems like 70w is not low power at all, since most AMD and intel are below that threshold and overall passmark score is so high that it let away from the list some really good options, like the i5-6600t. How did you get to those numbers and are they somehow "flexible"?

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
I'm pretty excited for Coffee Lake i7-8700T, should be the first time we break the barrier of 3Ghz base clock on a 35W CPU :)
I'm hoping for a 3.0Ghz with 4Ghz turbo boost. It will be one hell of a chip! I can only imagine what 10nm is going to bring to the table!

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Are there any reasons for those number, @Bambam625?

Seems like 70w is not low power at all, since most AMD and intel are below that threshold and overall passmark score is so high that it let away from the list some really good options, like the i5-6600t. How did you get to those numbers and are they somehow "flexible"?
I was just trying to get a balance of as much gaming power as possible, with as low heat production and power draw as possible. Feel free to mention any Good gaming cpus with lower power draw and tdp. Id appreciate it frankly,

I'm pretty excited for Coffee Lake i7-8700T, should be the first time we break the barrier of 3Ghz base clock on a 35W CPU :)
I'm hoping for a 3.0Ghz with 4Ghz turbo boost. It will be one hell of a chip! I can only imagine what 10nm is going to bring to the table!
Have you seen any news of this cpu? Definitely an interesting prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
iobit driver booster installed the wrong driver for my chipset and my CPU was stuck throttling as low as possible. At 1.2Ghz Cpumark gave me a score of 1645, single threaded was 275.

After fixing that, running at 2.4Ghz again, we got a score of 2898 with a single threaded score of 546. If you could find this motherboard/CPU combo for ~$270 like I did, it's still about the same price as that second-hand 3770T you're talking about. Then, you have to get these smaller (204-pin) ECC RAM sticks, which carry their own premium. It definitely sounds like a T-series chip is a better buy.

Edit: I'm hopeful we start seeing people compare T-series chips to undervolted/underclocked K-series chips. I have a 4790K I could test against a 4790T if someone has one floating around.
I have never heard of iobit driver booster ever doing that, sorry to hear that bud. Its probably because its not a common setup. Thank you for sharing your results, and testing the things I tried.

I have a 7700K and 7700T and plan to do this testing in the next month or two (time is just too tight right now).
nice I look forward to it.