Looking for best "Handheld" PC parts to start with

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Hey all!

So this is my first thread, and I thought I'd go straight for asking advice on the best parts to make a handheld PC!
My primary objective for my project, is a device that is no larger than the Wii U gamepad in footprint (or close to it at least), but that can at least emulate PS2 games, and preferably play a modded Skyrim.

My research has lead me to look at the Intel Compute Sticks, NUCs, and the UDOO Bolt, as well as the Sapphire FS-FPV5.
The most promising of these is the Compute Sticks, but they carry a steep price, and most are ARM CPUs, and I am unsure how these will perform with PS2 emulation. The Bolt looks interesting, but may be too large, as with the other devices.

What this lead me to look at, is what all has begun using the AMD V1000 series APUs, and as a result, I found the Congatec Conga-TR4 COMe Type-6 Module!

I am very unfamiliar with COMe modules, but this device looks very promising, so I wanted to ask if anyone else here has tried taking a look at these?

I have found a link to them on Mouser here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/congatec/conga-TR4-V1605B?qs=lc2O%2bfHJPVaXFc4TIrjGrQ==

I look forward to any input on these, and hope this is also helpful for others looking to do the same.
P.S.: I am also open to any other suggestions, such as how to solve the power distribution system in such a design.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
At $550 a single unit it is quite an expensive project.

You maybe better of buying a used nuc or a pre-built one. GPD win is an atom based handheld that may do do the trick, but likely can't run skyrim. On the other hand, perhaps an Intel tablet will work?

You can also consider Android emulation if PS2 is what you want. There are some playable titles. And GameCube emulation is also pretty good if you get a recent fast phone. There's also the Nintendo switch, which is a decent handheld.

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
At $550 a single unit it is quite an expensive project.

You maybe better of buying a used nuc or a pre-built one. GPD win is an atom based handheld that may do do the trick, but likely can't run skyrim. On the other hand, perhaps an Intel tablet will work?

You can also consider Android emulation if PS2 is what you want. There are some playable titles. And GameCube emulation is also pretty good if you get a recent fast phone. There's also the Nintendo switch, which is a decent handheld.

Thanks for the reply!

So I actually own a Switch, but I'm looking to build something from scratch (or as close to as possible), kinda like a giant PiGRRL, but that can do more modern games.

I don't want to do a modded portable like a Switch or PSP/PSVita, and a tablet/phone is just as expensive without being "DIY".

I'm mostly looking at the Compute Stick, because their variety, but there's no customizing them. With the COMe, I could at least add expansion devices, and change out memory.

I know my idea is not the most efficient, and I don't mean to dismiss your suggestions, but the way I see it is that SFF is about "no compromise" ideas, and I'm really looking to do this.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the reply!

So I actually own a Switch, but I'm looking to build something from scratch (or as close to as possible), kinda like a giant PiGRRL, but that can do more modern games.

I don't want to do a modded portable like a Switch or PSP/PSVita, and a tablet/phone is just as expensive without being "DIY".

I'm mostly looking at the Compute Stick, because their variety, but there's no customizing them. With the COMe, I could at least add expansion devices, and change out memory.

I know my idea is not the most efficient, and I don't mean to dismiss your suggestions, but the way I see it is that SFF is about "no compromise" ideas, and I'm really looking to do this.

That is quite fine. We do have a few members who bought a V1000 board and this one takes the cake in price.

VirgoH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Sorta, except I really don't like the control inputs. I'm not a fan of the weird track pad things.

@Thehack, I'm curious what they bought, also when you say it takes the cake, are you implying it's more expensive, or less?

Edit 1: Also I'm not very familiar with COMe boards, how does one connect things like an LCD or USB? Looking at the board it lacks almost all connectors.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sorta, except I really don't like the control inputs. I'm not a fan of the weird track pad things.

@Thehack, I'm curious what they bought, also when you say it takes the cake, are you implying it's more expensive, or less?

Edit 1: Also I'm not very familiar with COMe boards, how does one connect things like an LCD or USB? Looking at the board it lacks almost all connectors.

This one is about $200 more expensive. Sapphire is $300 I think for their v1000 board. It is a bit bigger though. I'd email them about it. Never seen someone used such a board on our forum.