Looking for an ITX case with internal PSU that can mount to the back of a monitor

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
So I'm just sticking with my i5 3450 until systems start using using DDR5 memory (guessing 2020-2021) because only real chads skip DDR4 entirely and because I want a ballin 6-8 core (65W TDP) APU system that can take advantage of the advancements to RAM bandwidth.

But I also want to reach the pinnacle of SFF, a system with no external brick and takes up no footprint on the desk itself by being mounted to the backside of the monitor.

Is this possible?

ITX motherboard
Some sort of 500GB M.2 SSD

I'm assuming the PSU form factor will be flexATX or one of those HDPLEX things like this: https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-200w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html

Still not sure what kind of low profile heatsink I would use. Do they sell the all copper Cryorig C7s in America? If not probably the IS-60 which has a modular fan which is a nice to have feature https://www.newegg.com/p/0SS-004H-00002

If there's no case on the market for this project I may consider building my own, but it would be fairly rudimentary. It would just be a plate of metal to attach motherboard + PSU mounts and I/O cover and the rest of the case would just be some kind of detachable skeleton surrounded by some metal mesh material.

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
Antec ISK 110 might be a good fit. It has an internal DC-ATX with a very small (90W) external brick and comes with a VESA mount. A Cryorig C7 fits in it as well. You can zip-tie the external brick under the case and mount it to the back of a monitor very easily. If you're interested and in the US, I have one in my spare parts bin I can part with.

Reactions: JosephEK

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Take a look at the J-Hack Pure case in the Custom Projects thread.
That case looks perfect and surprisingly affordable. I might still do a DIY project anyway just to satisfy my ego, but if I fail that's certainly an answer to my original request.

Antec ISK 110 might be a good fit. It has an internal DC-ATX with a very small (90W) external brick and comes with a VESA mount. A Cryorig C7 fits in it as well. You can zip-tie the external brick under the case and mount it to the back of a monitor very easily. If you're interested and in the US, I have one in my spare parts bin I can part with.
I'm actually kind of dumb because I hadn't considered super efficient means of stowing an external brick against the case or monitor like that. It does open up a bunch more possibilities for my plans.