Long time lurker, case build help

Hi all, been lurking round a while and decided to join. Big SFF fan, will post my setup later. Looking for some help with case design, I have no clue on what programs to use to design (hopefully a simple one is out then). I'm a fan of the Velka 3 but not a fan of the flex psu, also would like to reuse the hardware i have already. I want to keep it compact.

My thoughts were Sandwich layout. Motherboard is asus b450i 170mm x 170mm. the gpu msi 2060 super aero is 175mm L x 42mm thick x 127mm H. Sf600 psu is 122mm W x 65mm H x 102mm depth.
so sandwich layout but with the psu at the front of the case pull air in through the front panel (will need a power cable extension)
or have it mounted above the motherboard pulling air from the top.

Rough dimensions. Psu at the front. 250mm L x 140mm W x 180mm H
Psu at the top 180mm L x 140mm W x 250mm H

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi all, been lurking round a while and decided to join. Big SFF fan, will post my setup later. Looking for some help with case design, I have no clue on what programs to use to design (hopefully a simple one is out then). I'm a fan of the Velka 3 but not a fan of the flex psu, also would like to reuse the hardware i have already. I want to keep it compact.

My thoughts were Sandwich layout. Motherboard is asus b450i 170mm x 170mm. the gpu msi 2060 super aero is 175mm L x 42mm thick x 127mm H. Sf600 psu is 122mm W x 65mm H x 102mm depth.
so sandwich layout but with the psu at the front of the case pull air in through the front panel (will need a power cable extension)
or have it mounted above the motherboard pulling air from the top.

Rough dimensions. Psu at the front. 250mm L x 140mm W x 180mm H
Psu at the top 180mm L x 140mm W x 250mm H

PSU on top or bottom is like the CCD MI-6. You'll get slightly taller case but smaller surface area, which is good if your desk space is limited.

And yeah with that layout you wont need PSU extension cable.

Check my signature below for more info.

Edit: or go with Velka 5 route.

Deathrow

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
PSU on top or bottom is like the CCD MI-6. You'll get slightly taller case but smaller surface area, which is good if your desk space is limited.

And yeah with that layout you wont need PSU extension cable.

Check my signature below for more info.

Edit: or go with Velka 5 route.
looks good, i forgot to mention i have a set up for my son in a Dan A4, and he lives a 3hr flight away. The Dan case is good, just want to go something a bit smaller

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
looks good, i forgot to mention i have a set up for my son in a Dan A4, and he lives a 3hr flight away. The Dan case is good, just want to go something a bit smaller

If I recall correctly, with SFX PSU & full size 2 slot GPU, Velka 5 is already the smallest.

Siince you use an ITX (single fan) GPU, you can get away with MI-6 type of case or similar.

Going to buy or DIY / 3D print?

Deathrow

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
if i can build in cad or what ever software, noob at that stuff, I would try get it made local at a local sheet metal place, would like to keep the weight down

Deathrow

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
If I recall correctly, with SFX PSU & full size 2 slot GPU, Velka 5 is already the smallest.

Siince you use an ITX (single fan) GPU, you can get away with MI-6 type of case or similar.

Going to buy or DIY / 3D print?
if i can build in cad or what ever software, noob at that stuff, I would try get it made local at a local sheet metal place, would like to keep the weight down