List of Mini-ITX/DTX motherboards with a Key A header (for front panel USB C)

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
That just has a 19 pin header. You need both the 19 pin and 20 pin Type E if you want to use both the USB Type A and USB C front ports.

Don't get confused by the USB 3.2 naming; USB 3.0 has been retroactively renamed "USB 3.2 Gen 1," so all those old headers are now technically "USB 3.2" and neither "USB 3.0" nor "USB 3.1" exist any longer.

Really hope that dtx board pricing can be revealed soon so I can see if they made it a sub $330 board or not. It is either Asus dtx or x390 Strix for me.

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks for the recommendation!!

I wrote down the link of the first cable I've found on amazon. Please be sure the cable you'll buy is long enough to be connected to the back of your mobo, to be rerouted inside and then connected to the USB3 cable of the ncase.

I don't know how long is the 19-PIN USB cable of the M1. @Necere any hint? :)

Last edited:

knewt

Caliper Novice
Sep 4, 2019
I wrote down the link of the first cable I've found on amazon. Please be sure the cable you'll buy is long enough to be connected to the back of your mobo, to be rerouted inside and then connected to the USB3 cable of the ncase.

I don't know how long is the 19-PIN USB cable of the M1. @Necere any hint?

I would like to know how long both the 19-pin and 20-pin type E header cables are. The Aorus Z390-I motherboard im looking at has the Type E header at the very top left corner, quite far away compared to the other 19-pin and SATA ports etc.

Reactions: Warside

RezRez

Cable Smoosher
May 25, 2019
Hi Guys,
I am trying to find an X570 itx/dtx or mATX motherboard with type E header as well.
I realize those delock m.2 adapter and silverstone PCIe adapter.

The m.2 adapter would occupies one m.2 slot hence won't work on Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX TB3, if you want NVME.
(Even those that comes with two m.2 slot would have problem to find a case with appropriate cut out on the back of motherboard)
The PCIe adapter would work on Asrock X570m Pro4, but again that is mATX.

So after an extensive searching, I found the following two adapters. I see some potential to route everything (kinda) internally without modifying your case here.
1. Adapter for Type-C 24 pin female to Key A 20 pin female (mounting type)
There is one solution I can think off and I have no idea if it is theoretically possible.
1.1Mount this adapter somewhere inside the case or somewhere on the back of your case.
1.2 Plug in your Type E male included with your case into the Key A Female side of this adapter
1.3 Connect the Type-C end with "USB 3.2 Gen2 support Type-C to Type-A cable"
1.4 Connect the Type-A end of your cable to your USB 3.2 Gen 2 port (on IO shield).

2. Flat Cable USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C 24 pin Female to Key A 20 pin female, panel mount
This adapter is similar to above but probably has better compatibility since we can route the Key A end near the front panel and the Type C end near IO shield.

Anyway, I have no idea how much this adapter cost. I wish it is cheaper then the delock solution, but you would have to factor in a Type-A to Type-C cable that support USB3.2 Gen2 as well. So if the price is not right, shall we all give up on the TB3 and praying that a ROG Crosshair VIII Impact in on sale....

Lastly, there seem to be Key A and Key B when it comes to Type E male header.
I tried to read this document but can't really find a difference between those two keys.
USB 3.1 / USB TYPE-C TM DESKTOP FRONT PANEL CABLE AND CONNECTOR IMPLEMENTATION DOCUMENT
(As if the whole USB3.0->3.1->3.2 naming is not confusing already!)

Reactions: AnamCara

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
I'm no doubt missing something here but, having only one m2 slot, barring a restricted bandwidth is there any good reason why one could not use a sata to M2 adaoptor together with the m2 to Type E adaptor i.e.:

SATA to M2

M2 adaptor (already posted in thread)

Thanks

I don't think it will work. You need PCIe lanes to use the M2->USB-C adapter.
The SATA to M2 (NGFF) adapter is suitable for SATA SSDs

Epos7

Trash Compacter
Aug 24, 2019
Anyone build with Asus impact yet? I want to order it just want to make sure it will fit first!

I'm also curious, as my 3900X just shipped. Still not sure if I would pull the trigger on the Impact given the price. It's an extra $220 over the Gigabyte board just to basically get front panel USB-C. I'm also wondering about the noise level of those two 30mm fans they're using on the Impact.

draic

Chassis Packer
Feb 7, 2018
It fits. Just put a system together using this board with a 3900X and a 240mm AIO.
do you mind adding some photos of your build? I wonder how much space the DTX form fills up room below the graphics card inside the ncase and how this might limit options down there.

Reactions: lordzorg

Bougle

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
I don't think it will work. You need PCIe lanes to use the M2->USB-C adapter.
The SATA to M2 (NGFF) adapter is suitable for SATA SSDs

Thanks for setting me straight with that. Sadly it seems that my current board, MSI B450i, just isn't going to work easily with USB C. Now the choice has to be made whether to switch it out for an Asus, dual M2, or revert to using an SSD boot drive. The joys of having decided to replace my tower and embark on the SFF route .

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks for setting me straight with that. Sadly it seems that my current board, MSI B450i, just isn't going to work easily with USB C. Now the choice has to be made whether to switch it out for an Asus, dual M2, or revert to using an SSD boot drive. The joys of having decided to replace my tower and embark on the SFF route .

You can re-route 2 USB 3 from the back I/O shield to the front panel and use the 19-PIN USB3 header of your mobo to connect the USB-C port. This is the recipe I'm going to use for my M1 build.

You need to buy:
- 1x amazon.com/Transmission-Adapters-Connectors-Computer-Motherboards/dp/B0719J5M9V/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb+3+to+19+pin+header&qid=1570356904&sr=8-4

- 1x amazon.com/LINKUP-Internal-Motherboard-Converter-Adapter/dp/B07WG8ZJ41/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?keywords=19+in+header+usb+c&qid=1570356869&sr=8-1-fkmr3

I will confirm it works next week :)

Reactions: Bougle

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
Aaaand yes! The USB3 header to USB-C works like a charm (10Gbit/s for my USB-C port!).

Instead of rerouting 2x USB3 ports from the back of the mobo, I decided to use a USB2 header -> USB3 header adapter. Basically I downgraded the frontal ports to USB2, but it's not a problem because I use them for my fingerprint reader and the Logitech Unifying receiver.

I also tested the 2x USB3 Type A to 19-pin USB header, and it works as expected.

Reactions: mika

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
How did you check the speed of your port? I didn't think you could get faster than 5ghz on a USB2 header.

10Gb/s are coming from the USB-C port. Using the USB 3 Header -> USB-C header adapter you can use the bus of 2 USB 3 ports (5Gbit/s each).

I could test the bandwidth because I have an USB-c external enclosure with an NVME SSD inside.

Bougle

Efficiency Noob
Oct 5, 2019
Regrettably the USB 3 to USB C header adaptor cannot be used with the MSI B450i. The USB C header is hard against the RAM, low profile, preventing the front panel connector being fitted :)

Hopefully this will save someone else from ordering one only to be disappointed.

Sdlazyboy

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 14, 2019
Regrettably the USB 3 to USB C header adaptor cannot be used with the MSI B450i. The USB C header is hard against the RAM, low profile, preventing the front panel connector being fitted :)

Hopefully this will save someone else from ordering one only to be disappointed.
Same thing with my phantom itx/tb3 board just get a extender EVGA Low Profile USB 3.0 Header Extender worked for me

Batman

Cable Smoosher
Oct 13, 2019
My ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard does not have a Type-E connector for USB Type-C on the front. Can I buy some kind of adapter / adapter to use this connector in the front of the case?

Reactions: bluestofblue