CPU Likely progression of Am4 APUs?

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi, bit of an open ended question as I don't think there's any hard information out there, but figure it's worth getting people's opinion on as folk here are likely to be more well informed.
Looking into you crystal balls, how far do you reckon Apu graphical performance will reach on the am4 socket?
I currently have a zotac en970 which I'm very impressed with but dislike the external power brick and the Cpu is a little under powered for my needs. Replacing it with a system in an Inwin Chopin sized case seems appropriate but while the 2400g offers the Cpu gains there would be a considerable drop in GPU performance. Tempted to build such a system anyway with the 2200g as a stop gap if APUs reach near 1050ti performance, which to my uninformed mind seems possible if they can fit HBM memory on the Am4 socket. With 7nm Cpu and gpu processes on the horizon the space for this to occur seems feasible but are there other constraints to the socket that would prevent this occurring? In short where do people guess am4 apu's will end up at the end of the sockets life?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The big bottleneck right now is actually bandwidth. With DDR5 and 7nm we should see 30-50% increase, but I still think we've got at least 2 more gen until 1050 ti performance.

I don't think APU will be running HBM anytime soon due to costs.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
The problem is that the iGPU is bandwidth starved with DDR4. It's highly unlikely we'll ever see a mainstream APU release with HBM 2.0 as AMD are paying 30 dollars per GB for it. That's why the price of Vega has been (and remained) so high.
7nm process is not going to do anything for the limitations of DDR4.

The next significant jump will be DDR5 with it's 100gb+ bandwidth.
Even then, better iGPU designs will also become bandwidth starved with DDR5.

You also have to remember that APU's are entry level hardware, they are built for that market and not Prosumers and Enthusiasts.
You get what you get, sadly.........

Yes there are people (myself included) that want and would pay for higher powered versions, who knows we may get them someday!

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
With GloFo out of the 7nm game, expect prices to go up and number of SKUs to go down as the number of cutting edge wafer starts is the new limiting bandwidth...

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Cheers for the replies, it's looking pretty unlikely for significant gains beyond the Cpu performance then. Looks like it's time to get my hand in my wallet and start looking at more expensive options.