Enclosure Lian Li V352 thread (Split from Pascal Case Thread)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Yeah, the super tall/wide cards sort of annoy me as it can be very hard to find a normal sized SFF case to squeeze them into without having to take a side panel off, lol.

In my Lian-Li PC-V353, I just can't fit anything that protrudes from the PCI bracket. That excludes almost the totality of the modren GPUs (below is not my rig, just a pic from google image):

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I know your pain, my dismantled V352 is designed by the same sadist:

This would have been great for the Radeon Nano, since it's one of the first non-workstation cards to have the power socket on the long end. About 7 years to late though !

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
Original poster
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I know your pain, my dismantled V352 is designed by the same sadist:

This would have been great for the Radeon Nano, since it's one of the first non-workstation cards to have the power socket on the long end. About 7 years to late though !

I had to lenghten the hole to plug the PEG on my GTX770 when I had it:

Protruding parts just won't fit:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That hole was half as long on the V352, you had to have extreme luck to be able to line up with the GPU's sockets. And then you'd have to have a short PSU or you would cover that hole...

Oh well, I dismantled it, kept the I/O cluster, power button assembly, fan bracket, 3,5" HDD bracket and motherboard tray, if I'm ever feeling particularly destructively moddy.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I really liked the exterior design on those cases, along with the many innovative ideas. But the shear lack of flexibility is hard to overcome.
The GPU: no extra height is possible and not even most GPUs would work due to the PCIe connector layout.
The CPU: top-down coolers is about the only sensible way to cool the CPU and even then it can only go up, where HDDs are meant to be installed. Nice way to cook your storage.
The PSU: no long PSUs supported or you'd have two large holes in your sides, because the construction which holds the ODD or blanking plate on the other side has to go. Wasted space above the PSU doesn't help either.
The I/O: all that wasted space in the front just to have I/O on either side is another few liters of wasted space.

I have the feeling they could have made it a lot easier for themselves if they started out with the motherboard on top, PSU and storage at the bottom. That way they could have allowed the PSU to intake from the bottom, which seems to gain about 30mm off the bat. Then they could make the top removable, not needing slide-out board stuff, another 20mm saved. Boom, suddenly you have 50mm of space extra, enough for tower coolers or high-end top-down coolers, enough for the power connectors for all reference GPUs and some extended ones too. And on the bottom you could easily fit six 3,5" HDD's and cool them plenty with 120mm fans front and back.

Hmm after looking the other models up, they did exactly that for the V358 model but they wasted more space by keeping it as deep with maybe 80mm in the front UNUSED while they widened it to allow 240mm radiator support. The bottom is wasted by a badly designed storage area.

The V355 model was just plain stupid, it had all the issues of all the V35x cases lumped together.

The V359 model was a very different design and still didn't improve much on the V358.

The V33 model is arguably the latest design, an increase in volume of 25% but suddenly it supports ATX instead of mATX and has a lot of room up top for GPUs.

In all honesty, I feel Lian-Li has to be shown the way, as the V353 model is the nicest design externally but the later models improve drastically.
Maybe one day I'll try to do a V353 "reboot", while it's not the most efficient configuration for mATX and never will be, it's design is striking and not much has been done to really science the shit out of this.