Concept Lazer3D ST8 - Adaptable Volume Slim Tower Case

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I was recently asked by a customer to create a version of the infamous GTEK Tenuis case, its an absolutely gorgeous design.

The proposed concept is influenced by the Tenuis, but at the same time it has its own unique features, construction, layout and aesthetics. I have been in touch with the Tenuis creator to run this design past him and he's since responded that he is happy for me to continue with the concept.

The ST8 is a Slim Tower case with a parallel GPU layout. The PSU has been positioned next to the motherboard which exaggerates the height and slim nature of the case further. If this concept is taken forward the patented parallel GPU/motherboard layout will be properly licenced from Josh Sniffen (aka @Josh | NFC ) which has already been discussed and agreed.

The main body of the case is supported by 10mm thick legs that lift the main body off the floor/desktop to give the perception of a floating case. This aspect of the case requires some further refinement to ensure a strong and fully stable design when stood up-right.

In this configuration the case is around 8 litres in volume (not including the removable legs), it can fit an ITX motherboard, SFX-L PSU, 200mm GPU and 70mm CPU cooler. Alternatively the SFX PSU can be swapped out for a DC-DC PSU allowing the free space to instead be used for a 120mm AIO.

One of the main features of this design is its ability to change volume - adaptable in size and layout to the type of system you want to build. The case is made up of 2 main sections that can lock together in a series of positions, for example you can extend the case 20mm to support the Zotac Mini cards which will sit the case at around 9 litres.

In its largest form the case can support triple slot GPU's up to 320mm long, the extra space in front of the motherboard can then be used to fit a 240mm radiator, or maybe even 2x 120mm AIO's and comes in at around 14 litres.

There is enough room to fit a full size ATX motherboard with a reference size GPU sat horizontally above the PCIe slots and a 120mm AIO in front of the SFX PSU. This layout comes in at about 13 litres with support for 280mm long dual slot GPU:

If preferred, the legs can be removed and the case can be placed horizontally onto HiFi style feet:

The concept still has a lot of work to do before its ready for a prototype. Let me know your thoughts!!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I was recently asked by a customer to create a version of the infamous GTEK Tenuis case, its an absolutely gorgeous design.

The proposed concept is influenced by the Tenuis, but at the same time it has its own unique features, construction, layout and aesthetics. I have been in touch with the Tenuis creator to run this design past him and he's since responded that he is happy for me to continue with the concept.

The ST8 is a Slim Tower case with a parallel GPU layout. The PSU has been positioned next to the motherboard which exaggerates the height and slim nature of the case further. If this concept is taken forward the patented parallel GPU/motherboard layout will be properly licenced from Josh Sniffen (aka @Josh | NFC ) which has already been discussed and agreed.

The main body of the case is supported by 10mm thick legs that lift the main body off the floor/desktop to give the perception of a floating case. This aspect of the case requires some further refinement to ensure a strong and fully stable design when stood up-right.

In this configuration the case is around 8 litres in volume (not including the removable legs), it can fit an ITX motherboard, SFX-L PSU, 200mm GPU and 70mm CPU cooler. Alternatively the SFX PSU can be swapped out for a DC-DC PSU allowing the free space to instead be used for a 120mm AIO.

One of the main features of this design is its ability to change volume - adaptable in size and layout to the type of system you want to build. The case is made up of 2 main sections that can lock together in a series of positions, for example you can extend the case 20mm to support the Zotac Mini cards which will sit the case at around 9 litres.

In its largest form the case can support triple slot GPU's up to 320mm long, the extra space in front of the motherboard can then be used to fit a 240mm radiator, or maybe even 2x 120mm AIO's and comes in at around 14 litres.

There is enough room to fit a full size ATX motherboard with a reference size GPU sat horizontally above the PCIe slots and a 120mm AIO in front of the SFX PSU. This layout comes in at about 13 litres with support for 280mm long dual slot GPU:

If preferred, the legs can be removed and the case can be placed horizontally onto HiFi style feet:

The concept still has a lot of work to do before its ready for a prototype. Let me know your thoughts!!

FIRST!!!

But seriously though, that looks amazing!
I love the organic materials, and how they are included.
This. Is. Art.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Looks dope. I always liked Gtek's work, including the Osmi.

One reservation I have on first pass is the apparent restrictiveness of the vents. Open area looks pretty low with that slot spacing. Probably okay for low end hardware, but anything higher TDP is likely to suffer.

If this concept is taken forward the patented parallel GPU/motherboard layout will be properly licenced from Josh Sniffen (aka @Josh | NFC ) which has already been discussed and agreed.
This is a little OT, but I'm wondering how Josh could have a patent on a layout, especially considering there's prior art going back to at least the early 2000s (e.g. various Casetronic cases going back to at least 2003).

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
One reservation I have on first pass is the apparent restrictiveness of the vents. Open area looks pretty low with that slot spacing. Probably okay for low end hardware, but anything higher TDP is likely to suffer.

I agree, they were spaced like this so the slots align when the 2 bodies overlap in each of the locking positions. I will look at doubling the amount of slots.

This is a little OT, but I'm wondering how Josh could have a patent on a layout, especially considering there's prior art going back to at least the early 2000s (e.g. various Casetronic cases going back to at least 2003).

It's not my place to argue, but he does actually have a filed patent on this, look up his name and patent.

I don't mind at all supporting Josh in this and I encourage other creators that want to sell a case with parallel GPU layouts to do the same.

Reactions: Legion

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
That CPU fan is gonna starve for fresh air. My temps in S4m was on the higher side and that case is even more ventilated than this one.....

But this is gorgeous nonetheless.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this chassis evolves and I am in love with some of the ideas. The expandability feature actually works and is something I haven't been able to figure out in sheet metal for an affordable cost. I love the way Lazer3D crushes the problem here.

Tenuis is one of my favorite mods for the aesthetics and anything that expands on the concept gets me tickled.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
That CPU fan is gonna starve for fresh air. My temps in S4m was on the higher side and that case is even more ventilated than this one.....

But this is gorgeous nonetheless.

It's the first renders of a concept, it has a long way to go yet ;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very nice ! Something I have an issue with is that the rear I/O cables that would be connected to the back would exit all over the place, from top to bottom. I'd love to see a U-shaped cover over the rear that would make the cables exit at the bottom of the stand. Especially now that even Nvidia is moving away from blower reference cards.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Very nice ! Something I have an issue with is that the rear I/O cables that would be connected to the back would exit all over the place, from top to bottom. I'd love to see a U-shaped cover over the rear that would make the cables exit at the bottom of the stand. Especially now that even Nvidia is moving away from blower reference cards.

I know what you mean yes, I have been trying think of ways to tuck the cables close to the chassis in some kind of cover/channel so they exit the around the base of the case. This is on my list of to-do's for this concept lol.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Very nice design. That slide-out resizable case feature is very intriguing. And the way the functionality is integrated it still looks good.

Reactions: K888D

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
If this concept is taken forward the patented parallel GPU/motherboard layout will be properly licenced from Josh Sniffen (aka @Josh | NFC ) which has already been discussed and agreed.

Why is this necessary? In US and EU a patent has some criteria that needs to be fulfil to be valid: „... the differences between the subject matter sought to be patented and the prior art are such that the subject matter as a whole would have been not obvious at the time the invention was made to a person having ordinary skill in the art ...“

Arranging hardware in different position is obvious. The patent office has not the chance to proof every patent so many patents are registered but this does not mean that they are valid.

A good example is the patent of Asetek for their AIO - pump and heatsink are in one unit. Cooler Master defends against it and won in EU. The reason is, that moving pump and heatsink in one unit is obvious and does not match the paten criteria. Mostly only a patent law can show it.

By the way there are many cases out there that use this layout from MSI, Lian Li, Supermicro, Dell s.o

BTW: In South Korea is a Company that also has a patent on this design XD

Last edited:
Reactions: SashaLag

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Why is this necessary? In US and EU a patent has some criteria that needs to be fulfil to be valid: „... the differences between the subject matter sought to be patented and the prior art are such that the subject matter as a whole would have been not obvious at the time the invention was made to a person having ordinary skill in the art ...“

Arranging hardware in different position is obvious. The patent office has not the chance to proof every patent so many patents are registered but this does not mean that they are valid.

A good example is the patent of Asetek for their AIO - pump and heatsink are in one unit. Cooler Master defends against it and won in EU. The reason is, that moving pump and heatsink in one unit is obvious and does not match the paten criteria. Mostly only a patent law can show it.

By the way there are many cases out there that use this layout from MSI, Lian Li s.o

Because you can either be the guy who tries to get round a patent based on a technicality and subsequently creates a bad taste and even more negative vibes in the community, or you can actually work together as creators by sharing ideas in a mutually beneficial way.

I don't see why so many people have a problem with this approach, whenever anyone sees a cloned design everyone (rightfully so) is quick to speak up and defend the original design. Yet I'm trying to do the right thing here and I'm being told to ignore patents. Hmmmm...

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Because you can either be the guy who tries to get round a patent based on a technicality and subsequently creates a bad taste and even more negative vibes in the community, or you can actually work together as creators by sharing ideas in a mutually beneficial way.

This is a different aspect of this topic and I think it is a fair approach from you dealing with it. I don't know what is your agreement with NFC but I only want to say what I think about this patent.

I don't see why so many people have a problem with this approach, whenever anyone sees a cloned design everyone (rightfully so) is quick to speak up and defend the original design. Yet I'm trying to do the right thing here and I'm being told to ignore patents. Hmmmm...

This was because of using the same outer design. Using the same hardware layout was never be a problem in this forum.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017

By the way there are many cases out there that use this layout from MSI, Lian Li, Supermicro, Dell s.o

Why are you and ncere blowing the forums up over this? We’re your customers, I have and a4, m1 and s4, if you think the patent isn’t valid or should fall under fair use then by all means challenge it. But this really isn’t the place. All your doing is spreading hostility and drama. Ncere’s post yesterday all but cemented in my mind that I’ll never buy anything from again in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kandirma

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@K888D Ahah you trapped me with possible ATX motherboard support...:)

I give you another challenge then : Fit my Cerberus-X content inside this case :
  • ATX motherboard
  • SFX-L psu
  • MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X (2.5 slots, 27.7cm length, 14cm height)
CPU cooling could be adjusted...;)

Reactions: owliwar and K888D

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Why are you and ncere blowing the forums up over this? We’re your customers, I have and a4, m1 and s4, if you think the patent isn’t valid or should fall under fair use then by all means challenge it. But this really isn’t the place. All your doing is spreading hostility and drama. Ncere’s post yesterday all but cemented in my mind that I’ll never buy anything from again in my life.
I've clarified my position, which hopefully will help you to understand where I'm coming from. I'd also suggest keep the patent discussion to that thread, @dondan