Production Lazer3D CG7 Cravo - Low profile silent case (slim mATX | mini itx)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Well, tempered glass is way too common. I personally wouldn't go for that though, it really takes away the nice 80's and 90's amplifier feel.
yea I guess you're right.
that would totally makes this vents and that bracket useless.
and I do wish to put a 140mm fan on this x)

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I agree,there's too much tempered glass and we shouldn't sacrifice airflow for that

I really love the look !
Can't wait to see a build in it an maybe build in it ^^
Though it looks like metal, not acrylic for me in the pictures

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I agree,there's too much tempered glass and we shouldn't sacrifice airflow for that

I really love the look !
Can't wait to see a build in it an maybe build in it ^^
Though it looks like metal, not acrylic for me in the pictures

Thank you! and I agree
yeah, its crazy right? Its a premium matte acrylic on all exterior panels. its very stiff as well at 5mm.

Reactions: cmyk78

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Seriously it's almost a perfect case (i can't say perfect because nothing is)
But being able to pack so much in this, i love tfx power supply (which should be enough for a r5 2600 or r7 2700 and at least a gtx 1050 ti , and hards drives)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hi there!
I just updated the first post as well as the case name.
as this case approaches launch date, I'm disclosing the New name to match the Lazer3D cases lineup: CG7 Cravo

I also reduced the style options to this 5. They are not set in stone but they were the most liked ones.
We are expecting some parts to arrive so we can begin testing the flex atx layout as well :)

Couple of things I'd like to point out
- One thing that changed in recent revision is that now there are 6 drive mounting position in the ac-dc layout!
this happened because I flipped the front panel and the power switch opened the space for this. While this makes the maximum cpu cooler height at 69mm (for ex, while the Nh-l12s fits the bracket sits on it) the smallest micro atx boards at 18cm or so can still have 4 drives, if you have a way to power them. I'm not sure it will fit 100% but its a possibility.
- both hdplex 160w and 300w AC-DC converters fits but take space of the last pci slot.
- when using external power brick, there is a possibility of mounting a single 92mm radiator on the bottom of the case. (but it takes the last pci slot as well). not sure who would want that, but there's that as well.

well that's it for this weekend. I'll be doing this case manual for a couple of weeks and if all goes well we may sell a couple units before release. stay tuned :)

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Nice name ^^
I would have the hardware i would have volunteered to test the case but i don't :/ (well i could afford the mobo, the ram, and the psu and an ssd)

6 drives though, that's insane, still 3 with the TFX power supply ?

Reactions: K888D and owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Nice name ^^
I would have the hardware i would have volunteered to test the case but i don't :/ (well i could afford the mobo, the ram, and the psu and an ssd)

6 drives though, that's insane, still 3 with the TFX power supply ?
Thanks Jujudk!
Yes, with tfx its 3 drives only, unless you consider taping a drive to the tfx psu haha (there 8mm, just so you know)
6 drives is more a maximum but I'm not sure there is enough cable in DC-atx psu? unless someone uses an adapter. would be nice to see someone doing this, for an ridiculous sff media pc, but it still needs testing.
more realistically I expect 3 to 4 drives with a 18cm motherboard, and if my test system goes fine, I'll be using a 20.6cm motherboard with a single drive.

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
3 drives is already a lot with and m.2 on the motherboard so ^^

I think i'll really get this case (just as you mentionned before micro atx compatible ? more info in the manual to come about that ?)
to drive my dual monitor setup and light gaming/editing rig (main rig still but whatever)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
3 drives is already a lot with and m.2 on the motherboard so ^^

I think i'll really get this case (just as you mentionned before micro atx compatible ? more info in the manual to come about that ?)
to drive my dual monitor setup and light gaming/editing rig (main rig still but whatever)

this 7L model will support flex atx boards, which are something between mITX and micro atx. they are somewhat budget motherboards but they usually offer more than 1 pci slots, so its good for people that dont need a really high end system or that want the extra pci cards, whatever the use may be. the caviat is that this layout needs an dc-ATX kind of psu.

this collored area shows the maximum motherboard size officially supported, at 19cm width by 24,4cm height.

both the c14 conector and the hdplex unit are 30 to 45mm over the motherboard so the conectors should not suffer much.

now, for full matx support there will be a 10,2L version of this case But I'm pushing it a bit further down the year because its a more complex case, so I don't expect to ship it before Q3 of this year. it will be a duo layout like this case, but for MATX > ATX.

replying this to you I realized I wont be able to build an am4 build at 20.6cm because of the power button.....
I'm really thinking on going back on this.
Drive support will suffer but should be more than enough anyway for such large motherboards. I'll have to give it a thought.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I'll have to decide on this later. we have some good range of coolers incoming, so we be testing how they perform flipped. if most of them performs well enough them I guess I'll flip the front panel again.
(i'm as tired as most you guys waiting for this case haha)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
ok nevermind guys. false alarm
the 20.6cm motherboard I was planning on using is 23.1cm tall, so it fits :D
nothing will change then.

with this setup, there'll be some problems with drive support (none will fit over the motherboard) and power supply options. I'll adress this later
this area is for 20.6cm wide, 23.1cm tall motherboards, like some flex atx am4 motherboards from asrock. I'll see if other manufactures have am4 motherboards in this size as well.

area of motherboard of 20.6cm width and 23.1cm height pictured bellow

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Yeah i'd like to go amd personnally so yeah it have to support it ^^
Still a nice job ! Can't wait to see a full build in it !

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
AMAZING!
I remember the first day I strumbled over this thread and though:
"this is actually what i was looking for...but it'll never reach production!"
And now with the new APUs and the upcomming 2000-Series by AMD, I grabed my Seasonic TFX-350 and decided to start a little project.
As I love my Asrock Deskmini I know how much you actually can cramp inside a small enclosure like this! But I hate the external power brick.
Then I saw that the case I nearly gave up on, really made it into production!
You made it! Thats something you really have to be proud about, as it is in so many ways unique and elegant at the same time.
I needed exactly a case like this to present my upcomming content to my community and as I am modding PCs by myself with acrylic, I know that it is an amazing and durable material you are working with.

Time to play with open cards and put the cash on the tabel... 125 bucks? I'll take it! <3
As I am actually from Germany I was really glad to read that it'll be made in the UK! :D
When will it be for sale? And can I order directly from the UK so the shipping will be not that huge. (and no taxes tho)

As I am thinking about using and Asetek 92mm AIO (545LC), paired with a Ryzen 5 2400G and lateron jumping on the best ITX board for Intels Z390 chipset, when eight cores will be available on the Coffee- / Cannon Lake architecture.
I think this case (all blacked out acrylic) would make and amazing showcase for my projects!
Maybe I'll make a custom tempered glass window, just for the sake of showcasing the beautiful interior of this case.
I love the monolithic lock and I am even thinking of doing a nice little custome loop inside this case...
We'll see! :D Nevermind. Thank you so much for revolutionizing the TFX form factor.
Can't wait to work with this case!
Cheers

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Yeah i'd like to go amd personnally so yeah it have to support it ^^
Still a nice job ! Can't wait to see a full build in it !
can't wait to see your build as well!

i know it's late in the project, but any chance at countersunk screws?
Sorry NoSk0pz, we couldn't find a way to do it without too much manual labor :/
We're using m3 with 8 or 9mm long thread. If you now a better option that don't need countersunk, please let me know!

AMAZING!
I remember the first day I strumbled over this thread and though:
"this is actually what i was looking for...but it'll never reach production!"
And now with the new APUs and the upcomming 2000-Series by AMD, I grabed my Seasonic TFX-350 and decided to start a little project.
As I love my Asrock Deskmini I know how much you actually can cramp inside a small enclosure like this! But I hate the external power brick.
Then I saw that the case I nearly gave up on, really made it into production!
You made it! Thats something you really have to be proud about, as it is in so many ways unique and elegant at the same time.
I needed exactly a case like this to present my upcomming content to my community and as I am modding PCs by myself with acrylic, I know that it is an amazing and durable material you are working with.

Time to play with open cards and put the cash on the tabel... 125 bucks? I'll take it! <3
As I am actually from Germany I was really glad to read that it'll be made in the UK! :D
When will it be for sale? And can I order directly from the UK so the shipping will be not that huge. (and no taxes tho)

As I am thinking about using and Asetek 92mm AIO (545LC), paired with a Ryzen 5 2400G and lateron jumping on the best ITX board for Intels Z390 chipset, when eight cores will be available on the Coffee- / Cannon Lake architecture.
I think this case (all blacked out acrylic) would make and amazing showcase for my projects!
Maybe I'll make a custom tempered glass window, just for the sake of showcasing the beautiful interior of this case.
I love the monolithic lock and I am even thinking of doing a nice little custome loop inside this case...
We'll see! :D Nevermind. Thank you so much for revolutionizing the TFX form factor.
Can't wait to work with this case!
Cheers

Hey Gucks. Thanks for this, It means a lot!
and yeah, I'm really proud, and it makes me really happy to see your enthusiasm!
I cant wait to see what you will build in it, I'm really liking your ideas!
if you need some specific measurements, please let me know :) I'll do my best to reply any questions here

Reactions: GucksTV and K888D

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Also, a quick follow up thanks to @GucksTV

It was not intended and I didn't know but there is a way to use a 92mm rad with noctua a9x14fans with the TFX PSU when using ITX boards. with 1mm gap (yeah thats tight)
Total gap is 45mm for rad+fans. so plan ahead!
I'm not even mad that's amazing news.
I'll have to just remove a 2mm from the motherboard standoff panel but I'll gladly do this

Thanks a lot GucksTV!

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Also, a quick follow up thanks to @GucksTV

It was not intended and I didn't know but there is a way to use a 92mm rad with noctua a9x14fans with the TFX PSU when using ITX boards. with 1mm gap (yeah thats tight)
Total gap is 45mm for rad+fans. so plan ahead!
I'm not even mad that's amazing news.
I'll have to just remove a 2mm from the motherboard standoff panel but I'll gladly do this

Thanks a lot GucksTV!

Normally I am one of those forum members who is just reading, but as it was just glorious timing that I jumped back to this topic, I had to write! :) Happy that my thoughts could reach you, as this was my only concern (that the 92mm rad combo could be difficult to realize in this area) but now the ideas ceep comming! :D I will do my best to do an indepth review and documenting the buildlog when I receive my case. By the way: I am currently using a MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC with an i7-8700K in my main system (In Win 301), and as I read about your plans for the micro-ATX version later this year, I am really interested how small you can make the matx footprint...will you stick to TFX PSUs for that or do you consider to jump on SFX? :) A hybrid out of the the Thermaltake Core G3 and the Kimera Cerberus would be sweet...especially with your skill, you would nail it. For ITX the TFX PSU was a masterstrike, but as Silverstone will launch its first fanless STX this year, and Corsair will shortly answer to the upgraded 650W SFX PSU by Silverstone, there will be a wide varity of options for this form factor.
CG7...When the first revision will get some attention, I would recommend you to create maybe even and ITX version that is a bit downsized like the "BZ02" which was sold on AliExpress! It'll be the perfect move as Intels APU will be boosted in 2019 with Ice Lake and more and more compact systems will be popular. So let the spirit of Gregory inspire a lot of sweet new cases! :D Cheers

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Normally I am one of those forum members who is just reading, but as it was just glorious timing that I jumped back to this topic, I had to write! :) Happy that my thoughts could reach you, as this was my only concern (that the 92mm rad combo could be difficult to realize in this area) but now the ideas ceep comming! :D I will do my best to do an indepth review and documenting the buildlog when I receive my case.
That's great! Cant wait for it!

will you stick to TFX PSUs for that or do you consider to jump on SFX? :)
I'll keep using TFX for the matx version as well, but I'll see what I can do about the sfx psu. I have some ideias that needs to mature yet.
what I can say is that the footprint is quite small, at vertical position its sitting at 113mm x 290mm with feet, so 46in²?
for comparison the CG7 footprint is 39in². its quite a small jump considering the hardware in it

Reactions: GucksTV

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
I'll keep using TFX for the matx version as well, but I'll see what I can do about the sfx psu.

Okay, thats a decision to be made and even when the TFX PSU market will be pushed by your impact with this case,
sfx might bring some decent options...especially when we are in the mATX and ATX area, there might be even the need for more power.
But I like the idea of a small footprint with mATX. If TFX is the soulution, GO FOR IT! ;)
One big request regarding the micro-ATX version: Do you think a vertical full-sized GPU mount would be possible? (when using mATX and TFX PSU) In the render (page 3) it looks like there are the option for ATX + vertical GPU or mATX + TFX but no vertical GPU...
as I would like to do a custom loop in the next revision with mATX this might be again one of the sweetest internal PSU setups ever...that is really the key feature...SMALL AND INTERNAL PSU! <3 I love it.

Regarding the upcomming ITX version:
Currently the plan is to use a Ryzen 2400G with and Elgato HD60 Pro PCIE Capture Card...;)
But just out of curiosity: What is the fastest LP GPU that could fit in the CG7? :) GTX 1050 Ti?
I like the MSI LP version...tho I would love to see a GPU that would be LP and in the preformace range of a GTX 1060 or even higher.
Remember that Asrock is pushing there DeskMini GTX and are jumping into the MXM GPU market later this year.
Thats probably the biggest competition. But maybe with upcomming GPUs the performance of LP GPUs will increase to close that gap.