Production Lazer3D CG7 Cravo - Low profile silent case (slim mATX | mini itx)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
My 2 cents:
- hide the screws if you can
- I don't know the "'hard' keep out zone" for TFX PSUs but I like the intent of allowing them to rotate and making place for those that have the fan bump

Only thing I don't quite love about the production process are the acrylic cuts. Corners and profiles feel like they've been cut. Exposed corners are not nice in my perception system.
For the rest it's a really neat retro look.
Thanks

thanks!
I personally, like the older vent design.

yeah thats two of us. I like how it keeps the same rithym from the side vents, so I'm more inclined in that direction

I honestly think that most people will use a single 2.5 drive because of how popular the m.2 is right now. At the normal viewing angles, the screws wont be visible and by adding black flat screws I hope to hide the potentially visible ones.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey all, Its been a busy couple of months.

The HT5 has finally Launched and so we are working on the last details to get the CG7 into production. We'll launch the case in late November, so stay tuned!

Cryorig also made some amazing shots of the CG7's Bourbon model, they look amazing, huge thanks!

If you missed it, SFF Network published an review article on a pre-production unit - Lazer3D’s CG7 Cravo – Flexibility
the whole article is really nice, and feedback was given so we could fix some details before the launch, so really thanks a lot!

I want to highlight the B-roll that confusis did here, its really nice looking and the m-atx system in it is really a great use of this case:

the motherboard in that build is probably one of the best for this case if you need 4 ram slots, its not really easy to find one of this size and that caught me by surprise.
I'm really glad that we sent this sample for review :)

to wrap this last updates here's an idea:
what do you think of collored inner brackets?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
With the mITX mode back plate installed, is there room for slim or standard thickness fans in addition to a dual slot PCIe graphics card?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
With the mITX mode back plate installed, is there room for slim or standard thickness fans in addition to a dual slot PCIe graphics card?
yes, there's room for 2x 92x15mm fans with 2 slot cards. with single slot cards theres room for normal size 92mm fans

Reactions: wesbl

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Coloured inner brackets would be awesome. Glad you liked my B-Roll shoot :D The motherboard was a lucky find - it's a powerhouse in an unassuming guise - think i7-7700, 32GB (or even 64GB) RAM, GTX1050 ti - the ultimate HTPC/workstation combo in this case!.

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
It's been a while since i posted here

this case is still magnificent !
colored inner bracket seems nice but is it necessary though ? It would add another layer for production no?

Reactions: owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Coloured inner brackets would be awesome. Glad you liked my B-Roll shoot :D The motherboard was a lucky find - it's a powerhouse in an unassuming guise - think i7-7700, 32GB (or even 64GB) RAM, GTX1050 ti - the ultimate HTPC/workstation combo in this case!.
I definitely agree!

It's been a while since i posted here

this case is still magnificent !
colored inner bracket seems nice but is it necessary though ? It would add another layer for production no?
welcome back jujudk!

Not necessary, no. But since we will have only 4 models on launch we still would like to have some customization available.
This colored panels would be sold separately, and on a production level this wont require too much manual labor. its an accessory really.

For example, the stealth model will have as default gray inner panels, but maybe later one could get an extra Citrus yellow internal set for that Razer look.

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
A little behind the scenes today

we got a piece of the desert beige matte acrylic to see how it looks and cut out an updated prototype of the cg7.

the major change of this prototype was the inclusion of this threaded insert for the acrylic legs. This makes assembly easier, and safer for changing orientation of the case in the future. when testing this kind of insert its nice to make a test piece to fine tune the dimmensions.

The threaded insert is only present on the legs, this way if you decide by the rubber feet or the round feet, no insert is visible on the case.

we also tested a varied of wood options. The detail on the wood is also done by the laser. its a really nice process and when done right has some really good results.

From left to right:
Mapple, Alder, Oak and Walnut

here with the case assembled to show the secondary drive bracket. its improved and should provide a clean and easy support for up to 3 drives and a larger cpu cooler.

here the case assembled without the front wood. this is the same frosted material on the HT5 case. here you can also see the updated vent pattern. we decided to hide the screws and made some minor adjustments and I think it looks great. I Also updated the vend pattern on the rear panel to allow better airflow near the I/o shield.

here you can see the 30mm gun metal gray feet as well

Personally, I'm not a fan of how the beige exterior panels looked like color wise so I made a mock up to show how the Timber model would look. The front panel is white Oak on the top portion and white acrylic on the lower portion.

We are getting very close to the start of production and I'm really excited about this and hope you all are as well :)

cheers!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
The beige case would look great with Noctua parts.
agree!
K888D said that personally the color is much nicier, more like army beige.

Wait wait wait.. you make a beige version and I didn't get it?! How rude XD

In all seriousness, the white looks gorgeous.
haha sorry XD

Thanks for the tip on the legs BTW, I think its much better now

The walnut is so beautiful
right?!? it has a very nice texture as well, really nice to the touch

Reactions: confusis

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I think my phone camera kind of muted the colour in the photos as I'm using a florescent light in the workshop, so I've played around with the camera settings colour balance and this is a closer representation of the colour:

Sat next to some black on the left (with film still on) and white on the right.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey everyone,
we got some great news

We really wanted to add customization into the CG7, and the colored panels IMHO is very neat.
I really wanted to push forward this option in the best way possible and we got a great deal.

When buying the CG7 Cravo You'll be able to pick what color you'll want for the internal panel set.
There's some more stuff you'll be able to chose and I'll post on the weekend with some more details but I wanted to undig this post first

but hey, Production starts soon :)

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
As promised, I finished this up to better explain our setup for the CG7.

We really like customization, and in the CG7 we spent a lot time thinking on how we could allow customization in a way that would match this case manufacturing process, and we really the appreciate the input we received.

This is what we came up with and what will be available on launch:

step 2 was already mentioned, but I'll keep here as well for narrative purposes.