Production Lazer3D CG7 Cravo - Low profile silent case (slim mATX | mini itx)

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Current status: case launched and shipping!

If you are outside the EU and US, please order on our website

Introduction

CG7 Cravo (Project Gregory) is an idea I've been working for quite a while, and thanks to Lazer3D I have a chance of making it real.

I always liked the slim profile of workstation desktops, but never liked the OEM parts with weird internals and poor airflow. In my work and personal projects I use very CPU intensive applications for long periods of time. Unfortunately In SFF cases often there is a compromise in CPU temperature or noise, and in the search for a great CPU focused case, I began this project.

My inspirations for the aesthetics are mainly furniture design with a spice of Brazilian architectural elements and a touch of retro audio equipment. I wanted to make a case both elegant and functional, suitable for either a design agency or a living room. Modularity came in the process, being an element I always look after, both in aesthetics as in function. Last but not least, The potential this case have for being a very budget friendly SFF build is gold for me.

When I discovered the SFF world I was already making PC cases. This is my first case being part of this community and my most polished work so far. Here in Brazil there aren't many SFF parts available, or they are very expensive. The TFX PSU is one of the most common SFF parts we have available here. I've learned a lot digging through this forum and in the making of this project, both in case design and CAD workflow. Huge thanks to everyone who gave me feedback in my other projects and in this one as well!

Description

The Lazer3D CG7 Cravo is a highly flexible, compact and customizable PC case, designed for low profile pci cards and very CPU intensive workloads.

The CG7 is completely customizable with over 150 material/colour design combinations to choose from through our simple configurator that you can check here.

The Case supports either M-ITX motherboards and TFX power supplies, or slim M-ATX (up to 244mm x 195mm) with DC-ATX power supplies.
The case can fit up to 4x slim 92mm fans, up to 6x 2.5″ storage drives and features 73mm of CPU cooler height. Check out the product’s page for more details and information

Specs of CG7 Cravo
Dimmensions: 305x227x103mm
max cpu cooler height: 69mm with multi-bracket, 74mm without
Mini ITX layout:
TFX PSU layout
PSU: TFX 12V
Storage drives: 3x 2.5";
motherboard support: Mini ITX;
Multi bracket fan mounts: 1x92mm OR 1x120mm OR 1x140mm
bottom fan bracket: 2x 92x15mm OR 2x 80x15mm fans; 25mm height Fans with single slot card;
PCI slots: 2 Low profile cards.

DC-ATX layout
PSU: DC-ATX
motherboard support: flex atx. max width of 18.8cm, 24.4cm height;
Storage drives: 3x 2.5" / depends on motherboard clearance
Multi bracket fan mounts: 1x92mm OR 1x120mm OR 1x140mm
Top panel : 2x 92x15mm OR 2x 80x15mm fans;
bottom panel : 2x 92x25mm or 2x80mm fans OR hdplex ad-dc converter;
PCI slots: 4 Low profile with external brick OR 3 low profile cards with hdplex ac-dc converter;

Reviews/Build logs
SFF Network review by Confusis
+B-Roll video

Gucks TV unboxing + review

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I think your project is PRECISELY what this forum needs.

I'm a huge entusiast of TFX PSUs and did myself a wide research of small cases that are both space efficient and made for TFX psu only, but ended up with only one option, from aliexpress:

My bet is that using a c13-c14 extender and placing the PSU on the "frontal position" of the case would help to achieve better airflow for the LP GPU and make use of the natural convection movement of the hot air inside the case.

Also, i wasn't emphatic enough saying you did an awesome job on the concept and CADing the project. Congrats, dude.

P.S.: are you from Brazil? Here, in the Mercado Livre, we've got hundreds of Seasonic SS300TFX PSUs for as little as US$ 18,69 + shipping.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I think your project is PRECISELY what this forum needs.
My bet is that using a c13-c14 extender and placing the PSU on the "frontal position" of the case would help to achieve better airflow for the LP GPU and make use of the natural convection movement of the hot air inside the case.
Also, i wasn't emphatic enough saying you did an awesome job on the concept and CADing the project. Congrats, dude.

Hi Cleveland, Thanks! it means a lot! :)

I'll think about it. I'm trying to make the proportions look right, and taking the least amount of parts as possible

P.S.: are you from Brazil? Here, in the Mercado Livre, we've got hundreds of Seasonic SS300TFX PSUs for as little as US$ 18,69 + shipping.
Hell I am!! haha I was thinking exactly in one of those!

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
So I was talking to a friend and decided to remove the 3d printed parts to make the production easier and to keep costs down.

I also started a 9L version of it, and now im wondering wheather or not a bigger version is desired.

The mini itx version its pretty much done. I'll just need to prototype it later but I may have a better chance with the mAtx version.

Full width mAtx boards are 24,4cm wide, and in this Layout it would have around 10,6L ~ minimum, and most full width mATX board have the sata ports at an angle, and that would interfere with some fans. The longer case would be able to acomodate 2x120mm fans on the side, and that would be a bonus?

For now I decided on selected mATX support, more akin to Flex atx boards, to make this case more versatile (the middle one). 50mm shorter, just a bit taller, still can handle 3x92mm fans

Reactions: DSE and K888D

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Also, wich material do you intend to use?
Mostly acrylic for body and legs, And solid wood for the wood panels.
I have some contacts and this case could be manufactured in europe if all goes well. I'll see what I can do here in brazil, especially because that corner pieces aren't available here.

On a side note, I just realized one could re use and old thin ATX board on a case like this but who would?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I've spend a good whole day looking at pci dimmensions especifications and my head hurts a little. Can someone confirm me the measurements of the low profile pci bracket size? its... so confusing. also the screw part is flipped as well? is that right?

guess I have lots of questions today

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You can try using 3d printed cubes for prototyping.

I've spend a good whole day looking at pci dimmensions especifications and my head hurts a little. Can someone confirm me the measurements of the low profile pci bracket size? its... so confusing. also the screw part is flipped as well? is that right?

guess I have lots of questions today

Subtract ~40mm height from standard ATX specs. That's the only difference.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
You can try using 3d printed cubes for prototyping.

Subtract ~40mm height from standard ATX specs. That's the only difference.
Thanks!! so pci distance from motherboard and all the same? that helps a lot

I guess the screw hole is the only diference besides that

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
So, as I was playing around with the mAtx ideia I did some adjustments and saw that i could make a low profile matx at 10L.

That would accepts mATx up to 23cm wide (suits most micro atx boards) since full width matx boards are usually to much for this case (and I guess they belong in a cerberus style case), and most have 90degree sata ports. That extra length adds another 2.5" drive to the mix as well.

Assuming most people would put mAtx in this case for htpc or a low profile workstation build ( as I'm certainly going to ) to use the 4 dimm slots and a little bit more storage, restricting the width of the board to 20.6cm seems.... wastefull.

Its an extra 1L worth it? What do you guys think?

that is literally the diference

Last edited:
Reactions: DSE and K888D

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
updated first post with measurements and some renders!

I finished up modeling the fan bracket to support 120mm , 92mm fans and 140mm fans with 120mm hole spacing, I also added a spot for another 2.5 inch drive.

the fan brackets have 2 possible positions to focus intake more on the gpu or the cpu area.
I guess I'll lower it more 20mm or so to help more the the gpu area

*EDIT*

Just did that.

I'm ready to prototype now :)

also, just curious. Does any one now the minimum height to add watercooler support over motherboard? I'm thinking AIO 120mm watercooler with slim fans.

Size comparison with my project sophia

Last edited:
Reactions: rtrt and DSE