Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i really want the x399m, but after a cursory sanity check it’s either a 140mm aio or the noctua TR4 U9S. maybe even a higher wattage PSU as well

dammit I need to get to sleep

EDIT: There's the Arctic 33 Freezer TR though. 120mm fans and (hopefully within margin of error) 155mm in height (that's about the height with the side bracket removed)
https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-33-tr.html

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Cerberus owners rejoice!

We finally have an mATX x399 motherboard
https://videocardz.com/74600/asrock-shows-off-x399m-taichi-microatx-threadripper-motherboard

News post coming soon!
Mini ITX X399 is near..:D

Reactions: Elerek and cmyk78

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Hmmm... how to fit the largest amount of radiator into the Cerberus X?
A 280mm on the bottom might be doable, a 280mm on the front too probably not (even if the rad would fit, I'd expect you'd hit interference problems once you add fittings and fans). A 280mm on the bottom and 240mm at the front might work, or would interference still rear its head and require 240mm for both locations (or a 280mm at the bottom and 140mm on the front)?
A suitable pump is also tricky. Other than gutting an AIO to run things (and those slim enough to fit under a rear-mounted SFX PSU are either not intended to be modular, or out of stock like the Fractal Kelvins or the original Swiftech H220), standalone pumps are either quiet but huge (PWM Laing D5 variants), small but noisy and a bit feeble (DC-LT variants, which many AIO pumps use too), or apparently unavailable outside the US (e.g. Swiftech MCP50X).

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Hmmm... how to fit the largest amount of radiator into the Cerberus X?
A 280mm on the bottom might be doable, a 280mm on the front too probably not (even if the rad would fit, I'd expect you'd hit interference problems once you add fittings and fans). A 280mm on the bottom and 240mm at the front might work, or would interference still rear its head and require 240mm for both locations (or a 280mm at the bottom and 140mm on the front)?
A suitable pump is also tricky. Other than gutting an AIO to run things (and those slim enough to fit under a rear-mounted SFX PSU are either not intended to be modular, or out of stock like the Fractal Kelvins or the original Swiftech H220), standalone pumps are either quiet but huge (PWM Laing D5 variants), small but noisy and a bit feeble (DC-LT variants, which many AIO pumps use too), or apparently unavailable outside the US (e.g. Swiftech MCP50X).

If you do a rear mounted PSU you might get away with using a fan mount bracket for the reservoir and use a short res D5 or ddc combo mount to the upper fan on the front rad.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If you do a rear mounted PSU you might get away with using a fan mount bracket for the reservoir and use a short res D5 or ddc combo mount to the upper fan on the front rad.
I was intending to skip the res entirely, not much reason to include one other than aesthetics and to make filling a bit easier.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Hi guys, got a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone done a full custom loop in this yet? A full custom loop not an AIO.

2. When using an mATX board, is there still enough space for a 280 rad at the bottom?

Thanks.

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I was intending to skip the res entirely, not much reason to include one other than aesthetics and to make filling a bit easier.

I guess a nice compromise could be made by just making sure the loop has enough slack to route to a suitable high point and install a T fitting for easy fill / bleed ?

Winterheart

Efficiency Noob
Nov 28, 2017
Hi guys, got a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone done a full custom loop in this yet? A full custom loop not an AIO.

2. When using an mATX board, is there still enough space for a 280 rad at the bottom?

Thanks.

1: Yes, I've got a full custom loop in my Cerberus, comprises a Strix Z370-I mobo with full cover block, Zotac 1070 Mini with Alphacool block, EK SE240 radiator in front mount config with dual Noctua 120mm Industrial fans, EK SPC-60 pump/res combo.

2: unfortunately not able to help you on this one as I'm using an ITX board not MATX.

I will be redoing my rad later this month with a bottom mount EK XE 240.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hey @KSliger, how high is the mobos standoffs? is it 0.12' or 0.18"?

Thanks, man.

.265" from bottom of mount pad to underside of motherboard. Not sure either of those posted will work.

Will add threaded uATX standoffs to Cerb X for revision.

-Slightly off topic: Was wondering if there was any way to just purchase the machined handle?

Adding to website shortly =]

Crysilus

Caliper Novice
Nov 7, 2017
1: Yes, I've got a full custom loop in my Cerberus, comprises a Strix Z370-I mobo with full cover block, Zotac 1070 Mini with Alphacool block, EK SE240 radiator in front mount config with dual Noctua 120mm Industrial fans, EK SPC-60 pump/res combo.

2: unfortunately not able to help you on this one as I'm using an ITX board not MATX.

I will be redoing my rad later this month with a bottom mount EK XE 240.
Have any pics of your setup?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
If anyone has a picture of their build they'd like featured on the official case product page please PM me! (Will link to your post or cite credit to you either user name, forum name, or can leave anonymous)

Goes for both Cerberus and Cerberus X

neojonathan

Efficiency Noob
Aug 14, 2017
Hello ! Just a few questions about this beautiful case. Would it be able to fit a ASUS Strix 1080 in this case without any cable interference?

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Hello ! Just a few questions about this beautiful case. Would it be able to fit a ASUS Strix 1080 in this case without any cable interference?

Seems like it should fit.

That card is apparently 134mm high and the Cerb cases have 152mm PCIe clearance so it looks like you should have enough room above the card for the power connectors.