Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Johnny0971

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
Hi!

I have started to put togheter my build.

I have a weird problem though, maybe some else experienced it.

The X399 motherboard I got, the Gigabyte X399 Designare EX, has only 8 holes for motherboard standoffs, it lacks the middle one to the far right, a heatsink is in the way. I have also checked backside of motherboard, there is no hole for the standoff to go into.

The case has 9 standoffs, that means one of them is not needed and it is also touching the PCB of the motherboard.

Do I need to remove this standoff somehow?

Grateful for any help.

Thanks!

Reactions: Chann3l

Johnny0971

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
There is nothing on the back, just plain black PCB material where the hole is supposed to be.

Furthermore, the motherboard has a backplate, you can clearly see the space where the standoff is placed because there is a cutout in the backplate.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Johnny0971

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks to everyone who replied to me and provided some ideas and thoughts on the problem with the excess standoff.

I lowered it with a dremel, so it is basically gone, I don't mind, I love the case and it just got more personalized : ) I wouldn't feel safe having my new X399 system MB making contact with the standoff constantly, so I feel good about it : ) Going to use it for the coming 4-5 years anyway.

Thanks again, great community!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks to everyone who replied to me and provided some ideas and thoughts on the problem with the excess standoff.

I lowered it with a dremel, so it is basically gone, I don't mind, I love the case and it just got more personalized : ) I wouldn't feel safe having my new X399 system MB making contact with the standoff constantly, so I feel good about it : ) Going to use it for the coming 4-5 years anyway.

Thanks again, great community!
Be quick to take pictures..:)

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017

DIY clear side panel (acrylic sheet) with corsair LL and rgb strips

Ncase fan filters will fit in Cerberus-x and will cover the fans. However, they will not cover the whole chassis vents

Quite the light show! Great job on the side panel. Good to know the ncase filters fit. Took a chance and ordered the bottom filter yesterday.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
If anyone is interested in seeing how the c14s performs in the Cerberus with dual fan configuration I have a screenshot below.

I have pushed the 8700k to 4.8Ghz with 1.26 volts and I have the xmp profile enabled pushing the memory to 3200mhz. Temperatures are nice and low for such a small enclosure. Could not be more happy with the result.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
If anyone is interested in seeing how the c14s performs in the Cerberus with dual fan configuration I have a screenshot below.

I have pushed the 8700k to 4.8Ghz with 1.26 volts and I have the xmp profile enabled pushing the memory to 3200mhz. Temperatures are nice and low for such a small enclosure. Could not be more happy with the result.
Thanks for sharing.
You have a good overclocker cpu..:) 1.26v is pretty good.
Noctua c14s is a good performer...in my personal case, i had bad luck on silicon lottery...as my r7 1700x is at best average (mediocre) oc..:)

Reactions: Chann3l

Chann3l

Average Stuffer
Dec 15, 2017
Thanks for sharing.
You have a good overclocker cpu..:) 1.26v is pretty good.
Noctua c14s is a good performer...in my personal case, i had bad luck on silicon lottery...as my r7 1700x is at best average (mediocre) oc..:)

Ya sounds like I did pretty well in the silicon lottery. My 5930k needed that to hit 4.3 of course most haswell-e CPUs couldn't get stable past 4.5. Ryzen seems like 4Ghz is about the limit.

urdmiz

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2017
Okay, I ran into a small issue with my Ceberus, I had a H110i which is 280mm and technically the matx case fits a two 140mm fans in the bottom, The issue I ran into was the screws are rounded and poke out by 3mm and wasnt able to screw the legs back on, So i ended up buying some #6-32 x 1-1/4" machine screws, and was able to get the legs back on, Is it possible for the leg screws to be a little longer since they are attached to the case???? either way I mounted the H110i! add it to the compatibility list :)