Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

nemotron

Chassis Packer
Oct 29, 2017
So I shorted the 2 power pins and nothing happens. I guess that means the mobo is broken and I need to get with Amazon.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

I am frustrated and genuinely sorry for the quality issues with your enclosure, and the experience you've had. In the same breath, I'm thankful for the thoroughness of your photographs and documentation of the issues you've encountered.

If you haven't reached out to Kahlin/Sliger yet, let me know and we can chat via PM about making this right for you.

4. As I mentioned previously, the pegs that hold the panels are very, very tight, making the panels difficult to remove. Also, the top panel is perforated, thin, and does not have any right angles to reinforce its shape. As a result, I bent the top panel simply trying to remove it

I would like to get feedback from others who have the enclosure about this. Looking at all of the feedback we've received directly, the panel pins are the most recurrent issue.

To be sure, the advised way to remove all panels is to do so from the rear - with some perpendicular force and based on the positioning of the pins, the panels are meant to 'shear' off when you do this. (And to this end, we actually looked at pins and clips of varying strengths to get the force right for this. There are slightly different solutions for the top and side as a result.)

To be clear, I'm not faulting you or anyone for removing the panels 'incorrectly'; doing so in an obvious way shouldn't ever cause damage, full stop. But for those who do have an enclosure, we suggest removing from the back since it's the easiest (and intended) way.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
i agree on the fact that panels needs two hands to be removed...:) Before receiving my Cerberus-X, I thought it would be easy to pop off them...but not that easy (except on front panel where i faced a holding issue..:))

Anyway i'm removing/putting panel with care and slowly & surely..:)

mattxl

Efficiency Noob
Nov 23, 2017
Got my case yesterday and built my machine immediately... Realized I should have got a 240mm radiator instead of the 120mm one because it's super thick with both fans, but I made it work.

Last edited:

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Could someone please post diagram / scheme of that missing piece near PCI slots so I can create it on my own? Like width, height, where are the holes for screws, how far from the edge etc.

I would really appreciate it!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Got my case yesterday and built my machine immediately... Realized I should have got a 240mm radiator instead of the 120mm one because it's super thick with both fans, but I made it work.

O nice build.
Red panel with top black cover, strangely it reminds me a specific cerberus-x...:)

Are you pleased with color theme?

SonicSparks91

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 15, 2017
So far I like the quality of the paint and case. Though I did have the same minor problems with taking off the top panel, where it did bend a bit sadly. I bent it back into a straighter shape than it came in so that works for me.

Installed the PSU Panel, PCIE Cover and Handle Kit. And I think it is going pretty well. I have noticed that the clasps for the side panels are a lot stronger than the ones on the top, but it got better every time I took the panels off. Case Photos below.

Full Album:
Embedded Photos Below:

Last edited:

mattxl

Efficiency Noob
Nov 23, 2017
O nice build.
Red panel with top black cover, strangely it reminds me a specific cerberus-x...:)

Are you pleased with color theme?

Yeah, I was already leaning to the red then I saw it with the black top and knew I had to go that route... it just adds to the overall look and feel of the case.

Reactions: MarcParis

chemist_slime

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2016
Pardon the noob question, but is the red/black or the white/black connected to the front panel power button? I have a MSI mortar Z270M mobo and am trying to do a dry run before I put everything into the case. I just can't seem to get the system to turn on. Here's a picture of the front panel connectors on the motherboard.

In some combinations, the led around the power switch turns on but the system doesn't when the button's pressed. I've checked along the wires and they aren't labeled.

Here's my system:
mobo - MSI mortar arsenal Z270m
CPU - i5-7600k
cooler - Noctua C14s
RAM - G Skill RIPJaws 16gb
GPU - MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z

Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same issue. The red/back is for the LED ring around the button, the black and white is for the actual powering of the system. I had to pretty much take out all the GPUs, to get this working properly.

chemist_slime

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2016
Got the 4 Titan Xps today and installed them. They fit but it's super tight after installing the AIO which was an eVGA 280mm. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to swap out the eVGA 280mm as there just wasn't enough HS coverage for the Threadripper 1950X - temps were idling around 56C. Furthermore, the power connectors are just below the 4th GPU and I had to bent the pins to make it properly slot, perhaps the power LED ring and power connectors can be shortened? Not sure if others are experiencing the same issue.

The Corsair AX1500i is also a bit too long. I'm pretty sure I'd have to get custom sleeved cables to make this fit so I'm opting to swap out the PSU for a shorter one, i.e. Rosewill 1500W Platinum which is about 45mm less in length.

Sigh... this is what it takes to pack the most hardware into the least space but at least it's fun and I love the handle at the top! Makes moving things around so much easier than before.

Attached some pics for you all to enjoy. :) It's a mess with the PSU cables so I'll attach more photos once that is sorted out.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I ran into the same trial and error issues with my build, even now I am waiting on one more part to seal the deal.
Had I gone with a standard length GPU, I too would have opted to install the rad up front. Your setup looks fantastic, in fact, I would venture to guess that you're building the most powerful Cerberus-X in existence.

What do you plan on doing with it?

Reactions: cmyk78

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
Got the 4 Titan Xps today and installed them. They fit but it's super tight after installing the AIO which was an eVGA 280mm. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to swap out the eVGA 280mm as there just wasn't enough HS coverage for the Threadripper 1950X - temps were idling around 56C. Furthermore, the power connectors are just below the 4th GPU and I had to bent the pins to make it properly slot, perhaps the power LED ring and power connectors can be shortened? Not sure if others are experiencing the same issue.

The Corsair AX1500i is also a bit too long. I'm pretty sure I'd have to get custom sleeved cables to make this fit so I'm opting to swap out the PSU for a shorter one, i.e. Rosewill 1500W Platinum which is about 45mm less in length.

Sigh... this is what it takes to pack the most hardware into the least space but at least it's fun and I love the handle at the top! Makes moving things around so much easier than before.

Attached some pics for you all to enjoy. :) It's a mess with the PSU cables so I'll attach more photos once that is sorted out.

Wow. An extreme example of what you can pack in there.
I am curious about total system power draw in that set-up.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

That’s awesome...very extreme cerberus-x!
Better tear 'em out and start from scratch because the Titan Xp is obsolete.
Wouah Titan V based on Volta...what a monster...it should trottle quite hard with this cooler...but 3000$...ouch

Reactions: Biowarejak

chemist_slime

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2016
UNLIMITED POWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT: oh @chemist_slime how do you intend to close the case? if it were me I'd face the ATX PSU with the fan inwards, and rotate the ventilated half of the panel above the GPUs

That's not a bad suggestion. I'll try both and measure temps. Do you think the fans on the radiator should suck air in or push air out from the front? The GPUs draw air from the front and exhaust out the rear.

chemist_slime

Caliper Novice
Aug 21, 2016
I ran into the same trial and error issues with my build, even now I am waiting on one more part to seal the deal.
Had I gone with a standard length GPU, I too would have opted to install the rad up front. Your setup looks fantastic, in fact, I would venture to guess that you're building the most powerful Cerberus-X in existence.

What do you plan on doing with it?

Mainly for computing purposes. Machine learning and computational modeling.