Just replaced A4 v4’s ADT riser with a 3M riser

MelonGx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
The 3M riser is an official product, 8KC3-0726-0250, which costs $72.
There are $60 Chinese handmade ones. They use genuine 3M cables but I doubt if their soldering quality is good enough.

The A4v4-original ADT riser is far cheaper (which only costs $13) but it loses more FPS on my build.

CPU: i7-9700K
MB: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM: 16GB x2 3600MHz
GPU: RTX2080
Display: SONY KD-75Z9D 4K TV
Game: Dragon Quest XI @ 4K resolution

Here is the comparison:

Test spot: The first player phase after prologue.

No riser: 45 FPS
3M riser: 44 FPS (-2.22%)
ADT riser: 42 FPS (-6.66%)

From the test result I’m envying all A4 v4.1 buyers who don’t need to pay additional $72 to have the same GPU performance as mine.

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
Somebody did it!

I was concerned that the specs used to mention the ADT riser was 18.5cm, but the 3m riser model number that Dan lists is 30cm long. Even the one that you are using is 25cm, right? Do you just have a lot of extra cable folded up under the card/at the top of the case? Do you have a fan installed under the motherboard and was it a pain to keep the riser cable away from it?

Where did you buy it from?

I really wish Dan would have figured out a way to get us access to these cables in the correct length and ideally at a lower (bulk) price. Or at least let us know what kind of response he got from 3M about it.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Where did you buy it from?

I really wish Dan would have figured out a way to get us access to these cables in the correct length and ideally at a lower (bulk) price. Or at least let us know what kind of response he got from 3M about it.

Just google for 8KC3-0726-0250 and you will find many shops that sell the 25cm version. The 25cm version is a very close fit but it will fit. I ship the v4.1 with the 30cm version because it is much easier for the mass production process and for user installation experience.
I ask all of my resellers if they are interested to sell the 30cm riser only and there was no interest so there is no option to buy it.

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
Just google for 8KC3-0726-0250 and you will find many shops that sell the 25cm version. The 25cm version is a very close fit but it will fit. I ship the v4.1 with the 30cm version because it is much easier for the mass production process and for user installation experience.
I ask all of my resellers if they are interested to sell the 30cm riser only and there was no interest so there is no option to buy it.

Thanks for the response Dan! Shame that SFFLab and overclockers wouldn't stock the cable.

I'm hoping to not have to spend $70+ on it, but if I'm getting it now, I might just have to accept it.

I'm not used to dealing with a lot of these distributor-level retailers that have it listed, so I was hoping to find out where they had their successful experience. A lot of them list ridiculous lead times like 15 weeks too!

MelonGx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
The 25cm version is just fit for the A4 v4.
But I should fold both sides 180 degrees.
After both sides got folded, there is no extra length.
If I want to unplug the riser safely, I should unmount the VGA card -> remove the screw for the riser -> then unplug the riser's PCIe side.

If my VGA card already had 60fps minimum, I would not change the riser even it's more lossy.

Reactions: Titeywitey

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
I have a few reasons to want to go for pcie 4.0

1) I'm currently on a 2.5" SATA drive and would like to move to a nvme 4.0 drive at some point. If my bios is set to run at 3.0, I'll be gimping myself (admittedly this will be very, very minimal)

2) the more important one - when I flash BIOS and/or tweak memory settings, I may end up reverting to default settings, which generally means a series of worrying reboots until it finally lets me get into BIOS. This is because the default will try to run at 4.0 and fail. I'd MUCH rather have that not be a concern at all.

@dondan - is there a distributor that would sell a BLACK version of the 8KC3-0726-0250 or 8KC3-0726-0300 ?

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
There is no black version of this cable.

Apr 19, 2017 - DAN CASES A4-SFX CROWDFUNDED MINI-ITX CASE REVIEW
How come the black PCB was abandon from earlier production units?
Would it ever return as a replacement to the green PCB?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
No they must have photoshoped the pictures. As i said, there is no black version of the 3M riser. Furthermore a black PCB would look much darker.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Hello,
Is there any new risers available ? I spoted some gen5 riser, but too short I think.