Production [Open Source] JKase D3 v1.0 -- Triangular Vertical mini-ITX Case, 3.5 slots GPU support, 280mm support, 3 Different Forms, Vertical Airflow, Modular

JKBBG

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Nov 24, 2021

2023-07-11: Massive Update, JKase D3 v1.0, Open Source

JKASE D3 is a case that values the DIY spirit. It is based on an equilateral triangle, you can change the side panel and parts on your requirement. For example, from General Form to Duo Systems Form, or from General Cooling Mode to Duo Aio Mode. Also, you can use your imagination and creation to design a side panel you want. Everything is up to you. That's why JKASE D3 became an open-source project.

For all the features of JKASE D3, you can access www.jkasedesign.com.

Updated items:​

1. A website of JKASE is created. You can visit the introduction of the case on this website: www.jkasedesign.com
  2. The whole project is open-sourced. Which means you can produce JKASE on your own. The source file, user manual, and bill of materials are included on my GitHub webpage: https://github.com/absonbbg/JKASE-D3
  3. Also, you can contact or follow me via JKASE's Instagram page: jkase_design
  4. The whole case structure updated
  5. Compatibility updated
  6. Design ideas updated
  7. From 3D printing + Acrylic to 3D printing + Acrylic + Aluminium

Design Ideas (Updated):​

• DIY Spirit
  • Aesthetics
  • Accessible I/O
  • Vertical design
  • Thermal performance
  • Hardware compatibility
  • Dust filtration
  • Modifiability
  • Different Forms Transformation
    • General Form
    • Dual Systems Form
    • Trio Systems Form

Compatibility (Updated):​

• Motherboard:mini-ITX / mini-DTX
  • Power Supply: SFX / SFX-L
  • AIO:280mm
  • CPU Cooler:158mm
  • GPU:338mm / 363mm, 3.5 slots / 4 slots (28L)
  • Chassis Fan:4 x 14cm / 6 x 14cm (28L)
  • Drive:4 x 2.5'' drive
  • Height:41.6 cm
  • Foot Print:508.65766 cm^2
  • Volume:21 L
  • Volume(with decorative Panel):28 L
  • Note: The compatibility of specifications varies for different forms. Please refer to the specification page for details

Case Structure:​

General Form:​

Dual Systems Form:​

Trio Systems Form:​

NOTE 1: This is a DIY project. The current version of JKASE D3 is v1.0. The steps and parts are quite complicated and tedious. So please be prepared~

NOTE 2: This is my personal project. The update will be quite slow. Therefore, both the User Manual and the Bill of Materials are preliminary versions and will be updated from time to time.

NOTE 3: You can reach me at Discord: jk.bbg or Instagram jkase_design.

2022-06-24: Little update of JKase prototype, JKase D3 v0.2​

Product design adjustment

Adjustment items:​

1. The whole case structure updated
  2. Compatibility updated
  3. From 3D printing to 3D printing + Acrylic
  4. Thermal Performance tested

Parts Compatibility (Updated):​

• Motherboards: mini-ITX
  • PSU: SFX / SFX-L
  • Radiator: 280mm
  • GPU: 3 slots, max lengths 330mm.
    • Ultimate mode (without top fan) : 3.5 slots / 4 slots (not tested yet), max lengths 355mm
  • FAN: 4 x 14cm fans
  • Drive: 4 x 2.5'' drive
  • CPU water block: not tested yet
  • Air cooler: not tested yet

Case Structure:​

Whole Case

Motherboard Panel

Drive Panel

Radiator Panel​

Decorative Panel​

Fan Bracket

Column​

Feet​

Thermal Performance:​

Testing components:​

CPU: AMD 5800X
Motherboard: AORUS B550I
AIO: ROG Strix LC II 280
GPU: ROG Strix 2080 Ti
PSU: Cooler Master SFX 850 GOLD

AIDA 64 + Furmark:

Time Spy Extreme Stress Test:​

Gallery:​

To be updated:​

3 systems mode / fun mode:​

✨Thank you for reading this post. This is the beta v0.2 version of JKase. Thermal performance looks very good and far exceeded my expectations. Seems this case still needs to be improved. If you have any ideas or suggestions just feel free to let me know. 😻 Hope you enjoy it.

2022-01-17: Show Concept, JKase D3 v0.1​

Introduction and Background​

Hello friends!😻

I am an SFF lover and have been paying attention to different chassis designs for the past few years. The vertical ITX case is my personal favorite. Since most of them are full of mesh panels and I don't like mesh so much personally. So I tried to design a case by myself. The case idea is trying my best to reduce mesh panels and try not to affect thermal performance. Also try to keep appearance simple. Now I would like to show you my design concept.

Just Think Out Of the Box​

Most of the vertical ITX cases put the I/O on top. e.g. ROG Z11, Phanteks Evolv shift. So I decided to "bulge" the I/O out of the panel. I know it doesn't symmetric anymore. But more user-friendly since you can use it on the side. The benefit from this is PSU switch is also in the same direction. And I can bore three holes between I/O and PSU and use a DP riser cable or HDMI riser cable to connect GPU. All cable management we need to do is just on only one side.

Design ideas​

• Vertical design for less area used
  • Triangular shape for simple structure
  • ALL I/O on one side
  • 2 Fans in 2 Fans out / 3 Fans in 1 Fan out
  • Less Mesh Panel and No Glass Panel
  • Clean and Simple
  • Modular
  • Good Dust Filtration
  • Brand Name: JKase
  • Product Name: Trident

Case Structure​

I just use screws to connect all the panels and columns. For the materials, 4mm aluminum should be used. Or I may use 3D printing for my testing.

Airflow (2 modes)​

Vertical airflow​

2 in 2 out​

Compatibility​

• Motherboards: mini-ITX
  • PSU: SFX / SFX-L
  • CPU block: (Not test yet)
  • Radiator: 280mm
  • GPU: 3 slots, max lengths 327mm
  • FAN: 4 x 14cm Fans
  • Drive: 4 x 2.5'' drive (Or 3.5'' drive is available in the future)

Gallery​

Current Problems​

1. This case is quite big since it is about 32L. It may be an ITX case but not an SFF case. Luckily, it is still much smaller than ROG Z11 and approximately equal to Phanteks Evolv. I will try my best to reduce the volume.
  2. A long PCIE riser cable should be used
  3. I need lots of time to produce this case prototype since I have no experience in manufacturing. That means the test result and next update is about a few months later.
  4. May be not compatible with a big air cooler (Maybe only can use a small air cooler)
  5. Not suitable for Mesh panel lovers and Glass panel lovers🥶
  6. I don't know if the thermal performance is good enough or not. If the temperature result is quite bad, I may just stop this project. 😖🥵

Thank you for reading this post. If you have any suggestions just feel free to let me know. 😻 Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dealda