ITX Conundrum

kdr218

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
Mates,

I'm one of the backers for ghost s1, from Korea (south i must say)
unfortunately, we don't have enough information about ghost s1, so here I ask.
(I'm a real noob)

+Considering factors

So I'm planning for 2700x + asus strix x470 + 1180 (waiting).
I'm planning to OC my ram, but not for my cpu/gpu.
I'll be using only this PC for PUBG + streaming (just a hobby)
I am considering top hats, but I would like to keep my case as small as possible.

+The real problem

Cooling is becoming a real headache and I was hoping for suggestions on following possible options.

A. Top hat - None, Case fan - None,
CPU - Air cool, GPU - Air cool

B. Top hat - Small/Medium,
Case fan - Slim/Regular size,
CPU - Air cool, GPU - Air cool

C. Top hat - Large, Case fan - None,
CPU - Water cool w/ 240mm rads,
GPU - Air cool

D. Top hat - Large, Case fan - None,
CPU - Air cool, GPU - Water cool w/ 240mm

E. Top hat - Large, Case fan - None,
CPU - Water cool w/ 120mm,
GPU - Water cool w/ 120mm

F. Other suggestions
(ex. from using more than 1 top hat)

+ Questions

1. Which option would you suggest? Any other suggestions?
2. Can 1 large top hat create enough space for two 120mm rads instead of 240mm rad? (noted above option E)
3. On ghost s1, would you suggest a blower type, or non-blower type gpu?
Because I heard that usually for itx cases, blower types are the way to go?

Please let me know!
Thank you!

Cheers, K

* Here is a diagram that may be helpful. More information on http://louqe.com

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
What I would recommend is to make use of a custom loop. I know it's not as convenient as 2 AIO's, but there are serious space savings to be had. Something like the Kelvin T12 is an Expandable AIO, with an integrated pump on the CPU block. You can use your own fittings and swap the radiator if you want, and there's no pressure to go with hardline if you don't want to. A slim 240 Rad and 25mm thick fans would probably be fine, though I'm not sure how small of a top hat you can get that in.

edit

To answer your questions most succinctly, A blower card is used where you need the heat exhausted due to a lack of case airflow. This prevents recirculation of hot air in the chassis. It would be good for the Ghost but isn't strictly necessary due to the partitioned design and ample ventilation.

I'm not sure which air-coolers will fit, but I wouldn't advise overclocking with low-profile ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and kdr218

kdr218

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
@Biowarejak

I'm not confident with custom loops. Not only setting them but taking care of them afterward.
I never considered an expandable AIO. I'm assuming you are mentioning it to add a waterblock on gpu?
But I don't think there is space for the reservoir..?

A slim 240 Rad and 25mm thick fans

By 25mm fans, you are referring to those that are included in a regular AIO with 240mm rads?
--------------------------------------------
I want to keep my case as small as possible, but without any temp related threats.
What would you suggest I do?

A. Just go all air cooling with blower GPU without case fan?
B. Add S/M top-hats to add slim/regular fans?
C. Add L top-hat to Water-cool CPU 240mm rad, and GPU air-cooled?
D. Add L top-hat to Water-cool both CPU/GPU on AIO (120mm rad) each? (Lets say they fit)
E. Add L top-hat to use expandable AIO (240mm rad) to water-cool both CPU/GPU?
(Lets say there's room for reservoir)

Btw, you are really helping me out right now. I really appreciate it. Thank you

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So your standard fan in the PC world is the 120mm, which is 120x120x25mm. Slim versions exist. So do thick ones.

Generally yes, they're what's included.

Nothing to be scared of if you don't have power to the system running when you test your loop for leaks. Only use external power for the pump when you're leak testing.

As far as expandable AIOs go, I don't think EKWB's lineup will fit. That includes a reservoir and everything is prefilled with quick-disconnect fittings. It's neat but bulky.

The Kelvin (or Celsius, stateside) doesn't require a reservoir if you use a T-line to fill the loop. There's actually an additional inlet port on the block for for that, in addition to the inlet/outlet that it's using as-shipped.

I'm at work right now though so I can't quite answer your other questions at the moment. :)

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

kdr218

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 3, 2018
@Biowarejak

I'm sorry to keep bothering you. But could you suggest which configuration model I should follow from the line-up?
I just came across this. http://louqe.com/img/GhostToHatTest.pdf
Because I don't see the big difference among xs, xs+, s, s+m models...

Please consider that

My PC will be 2700x + asus strix 470x + 1180 + 600w psu + 16g.
And I don't wish to overdo any cooling set-up, keeping PC volume small as possible.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Reactions: Biowarejak

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Do you already own the components?

If you don't, if it's only for PUBG & streaming, don't you think it's better to get a lower spec with overall lower TDP?

Do you really need 2700x + 1180 to play PUBG and streaming?

Using lower CPU - that way you can use air CPU coolers and still keeping the noise down. Also perhaps go one step down on the GPU? A xx70 or xx60 should be able to handle PUBG well (at least depending on your screen resolution)

Remember, SFF is not only maximizing what you can put into your small PC. It's also about compromise.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So @kdr218 I believe your best bet as far as cooling goes is a custom loop with a large top hat. It's 57mm tall, allowing you to fit a radiator and fans. The fans can be the standard 25mm thick so long as the radiator does not exceed 31.5mm thickness, according to their website. The Kelvin S24 would be ideal for you in this configuration, allowing you to add a GPU water block later on if you desire. Or immediately after the 1180 comes out, and a water block is available. In that situation, you'd want extra fittings and tubing on hand so that you can get started, as well as PT Nuke and distilled water. The "coolants" sold are less effective at cooling and too expensive for my taste.

As far as volume goes? No top hat, use a lower TDP processor and <60mm tall heatsink. I'd also use a blower GPU just be safe in terms of recirculation. If you use an open-shroud card I would recommend a small top hat and two fans, allowing you to maintain a low volume and exhaust the hot air. If your fans won't fit, you can boost that up to a medium tophat.