ITX-Build: which case to buy

DoIt

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Hey I'm new!

I already have an ITX-Build. I'm using a COUGAR QBX case.
I was OK with it but temperature is not good in my opinion. Warm air doesn't get out good enough. The top has a 120 exauste fan but it's covered by the case itself very much so it's a joke!

Which case should I buy instead? I will put it on my table so I'm a bit limited in space. I can go up to , let's say, 25cm in width I think.

I don't have high end hardware. I'm using an Intel Core i5 4th gen, GTX 1060, SFX PSU, 16 GB RAM, 1x 2,5" ssd, 1x 3,5" hdd.

Which case you recommend? It's important that I can buy it in europe and it's UNDER 100€. So NCASE is not a solution.

What do you think about the RAIJINTEK METIS PLUS ? Compared to the Fractal Design Core 500 and Corsair Air 240 ?

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Hey I'm new!

I was OK with it but temperature is not good in my opinion. Warm air doesn't get out good enough. The top has a 120 exauste fan but it's covered by the case itself very much so it's a joke!

Which case should I buy instead? I will put it on my table so I'm a bit limited in space. I can go up to , let's say, 25cm in width I think.

I don't have high end hardware. I'm using an Intel Core i5 4th gen, GTX 1060, SFX PSU, 16 GB RAM, 1x 2,5" ssd, 1x 3,5" hdd.

Which case you recommend? It's important that I can buy it in europe and it's UNDER 100€. So NCASE is not a solution.

What do you think about the RAIJINTEK METIS PLUS ? Compared to the Fractal Design Core 500 and Corsair Air 240 ?

Raijintek Metis Plus is nice (13.4L Volume) but has poor cooling, the best airflow you could have is something like this:

Top and rear as intake, and psu as exhaust, really dangerous because you need a psu that turn on the fan also for temperature and not only for power consumption.
Another option could be install a fanless psu, top fan intake, Scythe Ninja 4 cooler, rear fan exhaust.
Fanless psu because you will avoid opposite direction of the airflow, Scythe Ninja 4 because it's efficient in every direction of the airflow (look here: http://www.scythe-eu.com/fileadmin/images/CPU-Cooler/Ninja_4/4_fan_mounting_animiert.gif)

You can't use top fan as exhaust in Metis Plus because it will generates conflicts with GPU intake fans.

The other two cases you mention are pretty big, Corsair seems to have better ventilation, both seems better than the Metis Plus.

Last edited:

DoIt

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for answering. But no, I can't buy again tons of hardware. The only thing I can buy right now is a new case, nothing else.

I only have a Corsair SF450 and Noctua LH-N12 top down cooler.

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Hey I'm new!

Well it appears to me you have already made up your mind to purchase a new case.

If I had this system, I would most likely add one or two fans and remove any thing needed to get air into and out of the case for proper CPU cooling.

Neil

DoIt

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
If I had this system, I would most likely add one or two fans and remove any thing needed to get air into
Have a look at Google Images what this Case looks like. There is absolutely nothing you can remove. Fans are already installed but this case is just super bad a nd hot air doesnt go out fast enough. And NO - I can do nothing against this except buying a new case.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Could Jonsbo/Cooltek U2 do the job? Desktop footprint is smaller than that of the M1 and I'm very satisfied running a hotter setup with semi-passive CPU cooling.