Is Thin Mini-ITX dead, or just seems it?

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
I noticed there were no 200-series Intel chipset boards made in the TM-itx format. And so far none announced for the 300s either. So are they just slow, is it worth hoping for one eventually, or is the general consensus that they are dead & gone & won't be coming back? I've already seen a couple of people (here & elsewhere) selling off their TM-itx parts after giving up on a future hope...
I have emailed Asus, but, anyone have any more concrete info?

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
The ASRock IMB-1212 uses H310 chipset.

Yes, but two NICs and only DP, no HDMI makes me wonder if that one will only be sold to system constructers and not retail. It's also curious since thin-itx has a strict height restriction (obviously) so what are they planning for that PCIe-x16? Would need risers which sorta defeats the purpose of the Thin....

Oh yeah, not to mention the naming doesn't for their retail patterns, and also, when you click that link, it goes to "ASRock Industrial", so, not holding out much hope for that one.

Last edited:

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
As was pointed out to me by @CC Ricers , Gigabyte is planning to release some.

The interesting thing about that Asrock board is it uses a full size X16 PCI-e slot, where as most seem to have a x4 slot.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Yes, but two NICs and only DP, no HDMI makes me wonder if that one will only be sold to system constructers and not retail. It's also curious since thin-itx has a strict height restriction (obviously) so what are they planning for that PCIe-x16? Would need risers which sorta defeats the purpose of the Thin....

Well you can get flexible risers that allow you to place a GPU flat beside the mother board. Great feature to add to a pc when you need a dGPU. Also, tobe in spec, an x16 slot provides 75W of power, whereas an x4 will only provide 30W(?) or something around there.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
Still, point being, it would require a very specific case layout and I can't see them releasing this to retail.

However, would be interested to see those Gigabyte boards. Did your mr CC give you any indication of time-frame?

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
The Gigabyte link I referenced in my post lists the dates for the motherboards, July 2018 for both the H310 and Q370 chipset TN boards.

I agree, the case layout is very specific, good thing we have some determined users on this forum who are interested in designing those cases.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
Ahh, heh, missed the link XD

GSM meaning "Gigabyte Stable Models", also I'm not seeing any Q370, and the two 310 & 370 listed are also (interestingly) named 'IMB' so still doubtful they'll actually be retail-stocked models...

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Paging @ASRock System , maybe they can help you out if you're interested in grabbing one of the boards @a13antichrist

Also, if you look at the Gigabyte table, the grey bar above each model lists what chipset it is using, so the 370 board you're looking at is a Q370.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
For Gigabyte the Q370 model is GA-IMB370TN-GSM PLUS. I have the H110 model, which is bios upgradeable to Kaby Lake.

And the case layout limits for the CPU socket actually work in my favor in making it easier to produce. Because you're always guaranteed to have the CPU socket closer to the PCIe port, you will always have the same length of cable to connect the GPU beside the area where the RAM slots are.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
For Gigabyte the Q370 model is GA-IMB370TN-GSM PLUS. I have the H110 model, which is bios upgradeable to Kaby Lake.

And the case layout limits for the CPU socket actually work in my favor in making it easier to produce. Because you're always guaranteed to have the CPU socket closer to the PCIe port, you will always have the same length of cable to connect the GPU beside the area where the RAM slots are.

That asrock board with your case and WX4100 +awesome

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018

Doubt I'll ever put together an SFF of any variety with dGPU, my interest in SFF will be limited to HTPC and possibly NAS if I find a nice 12+ drive case, heh.