Discussion Is there an interest in purchasing prebuilt SFFPCs?

RaiserPC

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 8, 2021
Hi everyone!

I've been into the SFFPC community for about a year or so and I've noticed there's not really a market for custom prebuilt SFFPCs.
Is this something that you think people would be interested in?
If so, what sort of features would you be looking for?
What kind of pricing (given the state of the PC building market right now haha)?

Thanks everyone for any feedback.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi everyone!

I've been into the SFFPC community for about a year or so and I've noticed there's not really a market for custom prebuilt SFFPCs.
What kind of pricing (given the state of the PC building market right now haha)?

I think there's a market for everything, including pre-built SFF PCs. Some major brands like Asus, Zotac and Asrock have been doing it for some time. It's not very prominent here in this forum, because the enthusiasts usually prefer some freedom in determining the hardware. But yeah such market exists.

I also noticed that you just recently joined, so welcome on board. Please take some time to read our terms, conditions and rules. It is especially important to read them if you are wanting to buy or sell, as the information you need to gain access to that subforum is all in there.

Also, as part of our community moderation efforts, we don't let new users edit posts or links for a bit, so report your post using the "report" button if you need it deleted/modified (or just post something like "sorry double post above" or "the above post is wrong, here's the updated one:... ").

The report button is also useful if you observe spam or any other suspicious activities going on.

Reactions: confusis and Phuncz

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Hi everyone!

If you build it, someone will buy it. Just do it. Pretty niche market, though. Lots of risk involved.

Last edited:

RaiserPC

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 8, 2021
I think there's a market for everything, including pre-built SFF PCs. Some major brands like Asus, Zotac and Asrock have been doing it for some time. It's not very prominent here in this forum, because the enthusiasts usually prefer some freedom in determining the hardware. But yeah such market exists.

I also noticed that you just recently joined, so welcome on board. Please take some time to read our terms, conditions and rules. It is especially important to read them if you are wanting to buy or sell, as the information you need to gain access to that subforum is all in there.

Also, as part of our community moderation efforts, we don't let new users edit posts or links for a bit, so report your post using the "report" button if you need it deleted/modified (or just post something like "sorry double post above" or "the above post is wrong, here's the updated one:... ").

The report button is also useful if you observe spam or any other suspicious activities going on.
Thanks for the insight!
I'm definitely not looking to do anything shady without following the rules so thanks for directing me towards them.
I'm not planning on editing this particular post but thanks for letting me know for future reference.
I appreciate the warm welcome :)

If you build it, someone will buy it. Just do it. Pretty niche market, though. Lots of risk involved.
Thanks for this.
I think it is a very niche market and it definitely caters to the more premium end of things (realistically 2.5k+ for good builds) but the risks involved are part of the learning experience naturally.

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
I personally think there are probably very few people that both aren't willing to build their own PC but would rather own a custom build one rather than an OEM solution.

The thing is if you're willing to overpay and don't care about upgrading, the OEM stuff is usually more compact than what you'd be able to build.

I think to only niche you'd be able to really cater to is the super high end, with flashy stuff like custom water cooling distro-plates build into the case.

Not saying you won't be able to sell regular SFF builds, but I doubt there's a lot of margin in it and very little demand.

jupe

Case Bender
New User
Oct 10, 2021
I'd keep an eye on the NUC Beast Canyon market. See how they sell. If the demand continues to exceed supply (I assume cookers are buying them up and reselling them?), there may be a good market to capture there.

RaiserPC

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 8, 2021
I personally think there are probably very few people that both aren't willing to build their own PC but would rather own a custom build one rather than an OEM solution.

The thing is if you're willing to overpay and don't care about upgrading, the OEM stuff is usually more compact than what you'd be able to build.

I think to only niche you'd be able to really cater to is the super high end, with flashy stuff like custom water cooling distro-plates build into the case.

Not saying you won't be able to sell regular SFF builds, but I doubt there's a lot of margin in it and very little demand.
I thought that the flashy stuff would sell really well. In fact, I really like the idea of integrating HWInfo displays into cases for example. Sadly, that would be out of my scope for the time being.

I'd keep an eye on the NUC Beast Canyon market. See how they sell. If the demand continues to exceed supply (I assume cookers are buying them up and reselling them?), there may be a good market to capture there.
It's a very competitive market at that price point but with more mainstream dGPUs I think that it's definitely something that could be captured. Thanks for your thoughts.

RaiserPC

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 8, 2021
Wasn't Shuttle the one big prebuilt sff maker(s)?
Shuttle seems similar to Minisforum in that they seem to make computers aimed at being more workstation-y than what I'm looking into, which is definitely catered more towards builds for gamers mainly.

That being said, the 5600G looks like it could do really well inside of a Velka 7 haha