Is there a problem with my PC

kms108

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
The problem is when I start my PC with windows 10, the windows logo comes up, I don't get the moving circle probably because of a fast boot up, which is considered normal, then I get the photo, by default it's the Windows 10 mountain and river photo, during the photo screen after 2-3 seconds it starts to flash once to a black screen (approximate 1 second) then back to the photo, it happen with a HP 16:9 monitor that I started to use yesterday, coming from a 4:3 Philip monitor which I used before then and it didn't have this problem. Both Monitor are not new, and connected using a OEM HP mDP to DVI Adapter and OEM HP DVI Cable.

Is this a problem with the refresh rate of the HP Monitor or is it something else. My full setup is the following

Ryzen 1600 CPU
Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WIFI m-ITX
Gskill Trident Z RGB 16GB AMD edition
Samsung 512GB 950 Pro SSD
AMD Radeon Pro WX3100
Silverstone SX700PLT PSU
Seagate 4TB for storage
Water cooling

Last edited:

kms108

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Check what you have in startup
Thanks for the reply, It's a new built systemand I only have the gigabyte MB app for checking system info, which contains bios, update, and most things related to the gigabyte MB and the AMD Radeon Pro drive software and app. but these has not caused problems with the philips Monitor.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
The problem is when I start my PC with windows 10, the windows logo comes up, I don't get the moving circle probably because of a fast boot up, which is considered normal, then I get the photo, by default it's the Windows 10 mountain and river photo, during the photo screen after 2-3 seconds it starts to flash once to a black screen (approximate 1 second) then back to the photo
I don't know man, sounds serious. Gonna need your login password to check the problem.
Just kidding :p

Both Monitor are not new, and connected using a OEM HP mDP to DVI Adapter and OEM HP DVI Cable.
Some adapters does this. Never know why.

Might just be a driver or monitor issue. If it bothers you that much maybe hit up the manufacturer?

Reactions: kms108

kms108

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not the PC or display card, both monitor are old, my philips is a 4:3 19 inch, and the other is HP 16:9 23 inch, both came from my company, but won't consider its a loss.

It's just weird the philips don't have this problem, I have double checked this just now, may be it the actual monitor, as i'm using the same adapter now. i will but a new 16:9 monitor and try it again.

thanks

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
it may well be the cables or adapters, especially if the runs are long. I had to torque the snot out of my DVI coupler, it was getting dropouts very similar to yours until I did. If you can, try testing each monitor on each cable, try running w/out the adapters and long cable runs, etc. Doing this should tell you exactly where your chain is breaking, be it drivers, OS, cables, monitors, etc. Its just a process of elimination.

Reactions: Phuncz and kms108

kms108

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for the reply, that can be a problem to check the mDP adapter to DVI, my display card is a radeon pro WX3100, a workstation card, and only supports one full size DP and two mDP, whiles both monitor only supports DVI and VGA, so a adapter is needed, although I can confirm the philips is ok, there is no problem with that, I do have a spare adapter and cable, I will try that out first TMR.

BTW, the cable is about 1.2 meters long.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
If you could borrow a monitor for testing that would be boss. The point im getting at is that by testing each component in your signal chain you can eliminate the ones that arent faulty until your left w/ either the source of the issue or a much narrower pool of possibilities to deal w/. 1.2m isnt overly long but if its a cheap / faulty cable or a cheap / faulty adapter it could be the source of your problem. Hard to be specific w/ such a wide range to choose from, anything from drivers to a faulty controller in the display.

EDIT: another possibility could be to boot a live USB w/ a linux distro on it and see if you get the same display dropouts there.

kms108

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
Thanks, I will try it out TMR, I do have a spare adapter and cable, both new, I will go ahead with that, I will also try to get another monitor to test it out. If I can't find the problem, I will probably stick with my old 19 inch philips 4:3 monitor as there is no problem with it, or get a new one, they are quite cheap now.

I'll let you know my findings. Thanks.

kms108

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 21, 2018
update, I think I know the problem, when I turn on my monitor, there is a pop up stating Monitor status and says current setting at 1024x768 and recommended setting at 1680x1050, once wondows 10 load up and after the dropout, and you check the status again, it says current setting at 1680x1050 and recommended setting at 1680x1050, so it seems like it's the Monitor adjusting the resolution.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I have tried other adapters and cables, but get the same results, HP has the drop out, but not the philips.